haswell socket 1150 quad channel?

song414

Limp Gawd
Just curious if haswell socket 1150 will have quad channel or dual channel? I have a dual channel 8 gb kit, if I purchase the same kit again and put it into a quad channel supported mobo will it enable quad channel or do I have to specifically buy a quad channel kit?

Haswell's memory controller is only capable of dual channel AFAIK.
If you populate all 4 memory slots on the motherboard it will run two modules on each channel. Still dual channel, not quad.

The fact that RAM manufacturers call memory kits "dual channel kit" or "quad channel kit" is a confusing gimmick - at the end of the day it's just a pack of two or four DIMMs. There is nothing "dual/quad channel" about the modules themselves.
All that matters is the capability of your memory controller and how many DIMMs you install. If you have a CPU capable of quad channel (such as those on socket 2011) then installing a multiple of 4 DIMMs would enable all four channels.

Last edited:
Haswell's memory controller is only capable of dual channel AFAIK.
If you populate all 4 memory slots on the motherboard it will run two modules on each channel. Still dual channel, not quad.

The fact that RAM manufacturers call memory kits "dual channel kit" or "quad channel kit" is a confusing gimmick - at the end of the day it's just a pack of two or four DIMMs. There is nothing "dual/quad channel" about the modules themselves.
All that matters is the capability of your memory controller and how many DIMMs you install. If you have a CPU capable of quad channel (such as those on socket 2011) then installing a multiple of 4 DIMMs would enable all four channels.

Thanks for the info!

My current kit has incidentally been in a dual, triple and a quad channel build. XD

Keep in mind that quad channel is cool yet mostly redundant for the majority of people.
Also it's important to consider that channel count isn't the only contributing factor to how well your memory performs. z77 dual channel is greater than x58 triple channel.

Not sure how Haswell performs in that regard.

Other than that Concentric got it in one!

Back