Haswell leaking pricing and model info.

What's with the sculpture head thingie on the box?

Anyone know the release date for these? I saw Haswell will come out June 4th, but I don't know if that means all of the Haswell line will be available, Haswell laptops will be available, or what.

I've been itching to build a new PC and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Anyone know the release date for these? I saw Haswell will come out June 4th, but I don't know if that means all of the Haswell line will be available, Haswell laptops will be available, or what.

I've been itching to build a new PC and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

It should be coming out on June 3rd-ish.

Last edited:
It should be coming out on June 3rd-ish.

6/3 is the announcement date, but there's no confirmation it'll be a hard launch, is there? I expect to see all reviews go out then, maybe some laptops will be on sale, but I'm not sure you'll be able to order the actual CPU on 6/3... I do hope so, though! I want to see people's experiences with the thing, though I'm happy with my Sandy Bridge for now.

Cool. Pretty much the same as the 2500K and 3570K at release. Of course, expect to pay a litte more for release day price gouging.

I wasn't going to buy Haswell until I saw that.

Pure win right here. Now you'll have to scan it and make a case badge out of it. ;) :p

6/3 is the announcement date, but there's no confirmation it'll be a hard launch, is there? I expect to see all reviews go out then, maybe some laptops will be on sale, but I'm not sure you'll be able to order the actual CPU on 6/3... I do hope so, though! I want to see people's experiences with the thing, though I'm happy with my Sandy Bridge for now.

Also what about motherboards? Always a dicey proposition to get a motherboard with the features you want at a price you're willing to pay when a new socket launches. Might be a few more months before all that stabilizes a bit.

Also what about motherboards? Always a dicey proposition to get a motherboard with the features you want at a price you're willing to pay when a new socket launches. Might be a few more months before all that stabilizes a bit.

Actually, if its anything like Sandy Bridge, the motherboards will be available 2-3 weeks prior to June 2nd. You could realistically have one on your desk just waiting for a CPU to stick in it. Not that I suggest going that route, because its asking to get fleeced, but that's the most applicable historical precedent.

Actually, if its anything like Sandy Bridge, the motherboards will be available 2-3 weeks prior to June 2nd. You could realistically have one on your desk just waiting for a CPU to stick in it. Not that I suggest going that route, because its asking to get fleeced, but that's the most applicable historical precedent.

If Z87 is anything like the Z77 launch, then pricing shouldn't be too bad. I purchased a Sabertooth for only $10 more than nominal pricing about 3 weeks before IB launched. Not that I'm saying Z87 will follow suit...just hoping.

Price seems reasonable. I think a 20%-30% increase over SB is worth it upgrading.

Price seems reasonable. I think a 20%-30% increase over SB is worth it upgrading.

Where is it you're seeing that? All I've read up until now is a marginal difference between IB and Haswell (like 5-10% with unknown max OC). That in itself is much less than 20-30% increase over SB, as IB is a sidegrade to SB in many instances except IGPU.

Where is it you're seeing that? All I've read up until now is a marginal difference between IB and Haswell (like 5-10% with unknown max OC). That in itself is much less than 20-30% increase over SB, as IB is a sidegrade to SB in many instances except IGPU.

I didn't upgrade I just remember seeing that IB was suppose to be a 15% performance increase over SB so I figured another 5-10% would put it up there between 20-30% gain from SB

That's not how the math works, though.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that IB really was a 15% increase over SB. (Hint: it isn't.)

If Haswell is 10% better than IB, then that's .15 * 1.10 not .15 + .10, which gives you roughly 17% total increase over SB.

The gains are relative, and what you may be thinking of when you talk about 15% is the stock clock. Clock to clock, the gains are very marginal, and IB has already shown its OC weaknesses when compared to SB (or, at best, that it can merely OC around the same as SB with little improvement if any).

While 17% is no number to scoff at, after you consider that you can get 35% increase just by going to a good OA CPU cooler for only $50-75, the costs associated with Haswell and its new socket look worse and worse. Unless Haswell can do 5Ghz OA or something, it's a waste of money to upgrade to and more of a second "tock" to SB's "tick".

Last edited:
Oh alright, I don't read all the way through most CPU articles so that is probably why I thought that they were talking about performance gains

Well the short explanation is that IB starts out faster from the factory, but its limits are around the same as SB or worse because of how they tend to run hotter. It is very much a sidegrade unless you need things like PCIe 3.0 or native USB 3.

Who knows, maybe Haswell will be a very great thing. But I'd suggest holding off until reviews come out before selling your LGA1155 stuff.

I didn't upgrade I just remember seeing that IB was suppose to be a 15% performance increase over SB so I figured another 5-10% would put it up there between 20-30% gain from SB

IB is, for most intents and purposes, 6% faster than it's SB equivalent.

If HWL turns out to be 10% faster then it's IB equivalent, then that makes it 16.6% faster than it's SB equivalent. Which, to me, is a fairly decent increase. Caveat is that SB is so fast even with today's software and games, that it's a negligible upgrade in most circumstances. A person that is wanting to upgrade from a pre-SB processor may be better off moving right to HWL at full retail price than buying a SB even at a used price because of the IPC gain, imo.

No, if Haswell is 10% faster than IB, which is by your accounts 6% faster than SB, then Haswell is (6% * 1.10) faster than SB. That's 6.6% faster, not 16.6%

EDIT: See below. Math brainfart; this is wrong, and DejaWiz has correct solution a couple posts down.

Last edited:
Well the short explanation is that IB starts out faster from the factory, but its limits are around the same as SB or worse because of how they tend to run hotter. It is very much a sidegrade unless you need things like PCIe 3.0 or native USB 3.

Who knows, maybe Haswell will be a very great thing. But I'd suggest holding off until reviews come out before selling your LGA1155 stuff.

It isn't going any where, I keep all my hardware for LN2. Just trying to decide if it is worth upgrading for my main gaming rig or if I should hold off and just get IB-E

No, if Haswell is 10% faster than IB, which is by your accounts 6% faster than SB, then Haswell is (6% * 1.10) faster than SB. That's 6.6% faster, not 16.6%

I was figuring it like this:

SB
IPC = 100% (A)

IB
IPC = A + (A * 0.06) = 106 (B)

HWL
IPC = B + (B * 0.10) = 116.6 (C)

C - A = 16.6%

Now that you mention it, that doesn't seem right. Where is my math wrong in a similar depiction to show C 6.6% higher than A?

[EDIT]
Wait a sec, wouldn't it be the following?

SB IPC
A = 100

IB IPC
B = A + (A * 0.06) = 106

HWL IPC
C = A + (B * 0.10) = 110.6

[EDIT2]
Let me back up here again.

SB = 100
IB = 106 (6% gain)
HWL = 110 (10% gain over IB)

So, 10% of the 6% gain equals = 0.6%, added to the original 6% gain thus equals 6.6%.
...did I mathz rite?

Last edited:
Well math works this way.

1/10 increase to IB, 1/10 increase to HW = 1.1^2 = 1.21
1.15 * 1.1 = 1.265

[EDIT]
Wait a sec, wouldn't it be the following?

SB IPC
A = 100

IB IPC
B = A + (A * 0.06) = 106

HWL IPC
C = A + (B * 0.10) = 110.6

So that would make HWL 10.6% faster than SB?

This is correct. I'm sorry about the 6.6 flub of mine up above; at work and wasn't thinking straight.

The increase is relative, not cumulative, similar to how if you lose 10% of your body weight and then lose another 5% of your body weight, you didn't lose 15% of your original body weight :p

at work and wasn't thinking straight.

Same for me. :D

At least we (finally) got it sorted out!

That said, it now becomes a harder choice for someone upgrading from a pre-SB system to pick between a new or used SB/IB or a HWL.

If HWL turns out to a decent OC'er and/or Intel reverts back to fluxless solder under the IHS, then a HWL clocked at 4.5 GHz is equal to a SB clocked at 4.98 GHz while potentially running much, much cooler than an IB, and maybe even a SB.

You guys are joking, right? I'm trying my best to restrain myself and I want you to have the right information (and to take a basic math refresher). You had it right the first time
If something is x% more, then you multiply by (1+ x/100)
So, to get Haswell's IPC relative to Sandy Bridge, if it actually scales this way, you go (1.06) * (1.1) \approx 1.166

I'm hoping to upgrade to Haswell if the figures look good. I'm running an i7 920 still and I think the boost I'll get will be worth it to me with this gen.

The math is priceless in this thread lol. If IB was 6% over SB and HS is 10% over IB in what universe would it ever be less than 10% :p

Raghar and DrinkTea win the math prize. Everyone else please go retake middle school math.

Let S, B, and H be the performance 'values', clock for clock, for Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell respectively. Let X and Y be arbitrary constants.

An increase in performance of X% from S to B would be written as B = S + .01 * X * S
An increase in performance of Y% from B to H would be written as H = B + .01 * Y * B

Using substitution, we arrive at H = (S + .01 * X * S) + .01 * Y * (S + .01 * X * S), which simplifies to H = (S + .01 * X * S) * (1+ .01Y ) = S(1 + .01*X)(1 + .01*Y) or H = S(1+X%)(1+Y%).

Therefore, with an increase from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge (X) of 6% and an increase from Ivy Bridge to Haswell (y) of 10%, you can substitute into the general form to get:

H = 1.06 * 1.10 * S, or 1.166S

QED

Let's put it in terms of engine RPM.
Start out at 1000RPM.
Increase speed by 6%.
That's now 1060RPM

Increase that by 10%.
That's now 1166RPM

The overall increase from the original starting speed is 166RPM, or 16.6%.

Or how about MHz?
Start at 3000 MHz.
Overclock it by 6%.
The new frequency is 3180 MHz.

Add another 10% overclock to that.
The new frequency is 3498 MHz.

That is an overall increase of 498 MHz, or 16.6% more than the starting frequency of 3000 MHz.

Last edited:
You guys are joking, right? I'm trying my best to restrain myself and I want you to have the right information (and to take a basic math refresher). You had it right the first time
If something is x% more, then you multiply by (1+ x/100)
So, to get Haswell's IPC relative to Sandy Bridge, if it actually scales this way, you go (1.06) * (1.1) \approx 1.166
So, if my math is right...

Haswell running at 4.5Ghz would be roughly equivalent to a Sandy Bridge running 5.2ghz? That's pretty big jump and probably worth the upgrade provided there aren't any more thermal issues limiting the overclocks with the use of shittastic TIM under the heatspreaders.

Looks like a 4670k would be a nice upgrade from my 920. If I recall I paid about $200 or so for the 920 from microcenter.

So, if my math is right...

Haswell running at 4.5Ghz would be roughly equivalent to a Sandy Bridge running 5.2ghz? That's pretty big jump and probably worth the upgrade provided there aren't any more thermal issues limiting the overclocks with the use of shittastic TIM under the heatspreaders.

Yep, HWL at 4.5 GHz is equivalent to a SB running at 5.25 GHz. Damn, that's pretty stout. And I REALLY hope there's a much better thermally conductive material under HWL's IHS than that dumbass of a decision TIM paste. I wonder if whomever approved that choice has either been demoted or is now working elsewhere.

Back