Haswell-E reveal: 8 Cores, DDR4, X99

It sounds to me like it's up to Intel how much CPU and how many features they want to give you for the specific amount of money you plan to spend. If past history with Intel is any indication, I'd bet that the amount of each will be "as little as possible.":rolleyes:

In other words, if I were you, I'd start planning a "Haswell Refresh" system...;)

I was hoping for the pricing listed at http://www.techpowerup.com/196158/intel-core-i7-haswell-e-to-launch-in-q3-2014.html.
$400 for the 6C/12T would be awesome as long as I can get a decent OC to about 4.0-4.4 on water. Then the questions will become how much we will be gouged on DDR4 and initial X99 chipset mobo. Maybe I can get the cpu, mobo and 16gb ddr4 for $700....a guy can dream can't he! My work will spot me up to $1500 for a new system, the plan is to get everything but the GPU covered so I just have to buy a video card to complete the box.

The problem with a $400 6-core Haswell-E is the pressure it places on the flagship Haswell 1150, which would necessitate a drop in it's MSRP as well. This is something that I highly doubt Intel would consider. Having the two so close in price makes it very likely that many more people would buy Haswell-E instead to get the extra cores and features, resulting in a corresponding drop in enthusiast demand for Haswell 1150.

The only way this makes sense, is if Intel had designs on integrating the two enthusiast platforms, both Z97 and Haswell-E over a period of time, but I can't see this happening. Intel likes having the enthusiast 1150 platform as a guinea pig of sorts for their larger products that come after, allowing bugs to be worked out on them prior to the rollout of the equivalent HEDT and Enterprise products. It also allows them to maintain a decent profit margin on the fairly large Haswell 1150 chips, which as Michaelius mentioned, are even larger than Ivy-E.

Why aren't more people outraged over the Broadwell delay? It's quite significant, and will set back computing quite a bit.

Some leak specs from Haswell-EP:D

E5-2697v3, 14 core, 2.6GHz, 145W TDP, DDR4-2133, all core turbo 3.1GHz, single core turbo 3.7GHz

Some leak specs from Haswell-EP:D

E5-2697v3, 14 core, 2.6GHz, 145W TDP, DDR4-2133, all core turbo 3.1GHz, single core turbo 3.7GHz

I saw that...too bad it's highly unlikely to be unlocked. Also, I'm hoping for a 160W variant as was shown in earlier slides...this one's only 145W.

Im so glad that they are dropping the X99 soon! The thing I love the most, is the 10x Sata 3 6gbps ports, and, 6 usb 3.0 ports.

The current system I am running is a overclocked 4820k, and X79 E WS board. It was only $600 for the both "refurbished". It is by far the best system I have ever had. The only thing I regret is, I wish I would have gone x79 sooner. I originally had a 3570k which was stupid quick to, sittin at 4.5ghz.

Performance is great! Multitasking, gaming, I built it as a gaming work station.

I am in for the 5820K for sure. 4 core or 6 core! Even if it is a 2 to 5% boost. More native sata 3 ports, more native usb 3 ports.

Not to mention, if you buy a X99 you can use the same motherboard for 3 to 4 years! Before something new. And 5 to 6 years before it is some what dated.

5820K! And X99 WS board FTW!

I think I am going to stick with enthusiast intel platform from now on. The life cycle is very important to me. Initial big investment on a really good motherboard up front, a cpu. And you can upgrade the cpu from low to high model later as well, and then upgrade cpu again if there is a refreshment.

Last edited:
What does it matter if it is 130 watt? 150 watt or 160 watt? What does this benefit? Or even 80 watt

What does it matter if it is 130 watt? 150 watt or 160 watt? What does this benefit? Or even 80 watt
Realistically for enthusiasts it doesn't. Unless you want to setup an mITX Haswell-E setup, I guess. The server chips will likely have various flavors depending on the TDP you want.

It matters due to the very unfortunate reality that Intel hard locks all dual-capable Xeons. A dual-capable Xeon with a higher TDP rating should have a higher base clock and may also have a higher all core and single core turbo ratio than one with a lower TDP rating. This isn't always the case, however, just a general trend. The highest TDP chips are generally the highest clocked and best performing chips.

If the Xeons were unlocked, TDP wouldn't matter, as the unlocked nature of such a processor would allow you to choose your own TDP depending on your cooling...;)

Lutjens can you tell me which xeons have a unlocked multiplier? Im getting mixed answers on google and what not

Lutjens can you tell me which xeons have a unlocked multiplier? Im getting mixed answers on google and what not

Only the single processor versions of the Xeon have unlocked multipliers, the E5-1600 series. The only unknown model of this line is the E5-1680 V2, which has not been conclusively proven to be unlocked, due to the fact that it's OEM only and no-one seems to have gotton a hold of it separately. It's an 8-core, which have historically all been locked, but a member of the E5-1600 series, which is historically unlocked.

But the rest of the E5-1600 series is definitely unlocked.,,;)

Those look great. No definite price points yet.. probably expensive. I feel like Intel has skewed "enthusiast" with "blood made of gold."

well when "enthusiast's" willingly spend $1000-3000 on video cards, cpus etc... the manufacturers will test the limits of the end users wallets. At least for the rest of us we can get 90-99% of the performance for MUCH cheaper in "lesser" platforms. the benchmark kings can simply outspend most of us, but in the end for what people really use computers for, the normal platforms are just fine. If I had unlimited $, I'd get the best too, so not bagging on those of you who can and do spend that much on parts. My train left that station awhile ago after vaporphase cooling and cascade cooling solutions took over lol.

I kinda regretted that I had gotten my current new system recently, not realizing that Haswell-E was releasing w/ DDR4 RAM so then I could've went with a more up-to-date system on all fronts.

I wouldn't worry about DDR4 too much, it'll be a while before it drops to reasonable prices. Which is probably when it reaches the mainstream chips, which I'm guessing is Skylake?

How would you compare a E5 1660 vs one Xeon 2687 W v2. "6 core vs 8 core"

The E5-1660, when overclocked to over 4.5 GHz should provide a significant single thread performance advantage and provide multi-threaded performance in the ballpark of the E5-2687W V2. The 1660 should do 4.5 GHz easily, with overclocks up to 4.7 GHz being reasonably common enough. Personally, I've found the 1660's IMC to be quite tolerant overall and I was able to get my memory up to 2400MHz without an enormous amount of difficulty. I think this is somewhat uncommon considering that I'm running 2 DPC at this speed.

What it boils down to is if you're planning a dual CPU system. If you're staying with one processor, go with the 1650 or 1660...if you're going for a dual CPU rig, go with the 2687W

well when "enthusiast's" willingly spend $1000-3000 on video cards, cpus etc... the manufacturers will test the limits of the end users wallets. At least for the rest of us we can get 90-99% of the performance for MUCH cheaper in "lesser" platforms. the benchmark kings can simply outspend most of us, but in the end for what people really use computers for, the normal platforms are just fine. If I had unlimited $, I'd get the best too, so not bagging on those of you who can and do spend that much on parts. My train left that station awhile ago after vaporphase cooling and cascade cooling solutions took over lol.

Intel hasn't been very willing to test this at all, with their "best" enthusiast product being the upappetizing, incremental, (and IMO long obsolete) 6-core $999 Extreme Edition. Other manufacturers like NVidia have, and have been handsomely rewarded for doing so. Maybe NVidia's success will encourage Intel to finally release an enthusiast CPU that's something close to their best silicon, instead of forcing people who would happily spend the big money on such a product to buy the same old unexciting CPUs over and over again....:rolleyes:

And no...the upcoming 8-core Haswell-E that Intel has talked about isn't anywhere close to their best silicon...and again promises to bestow on enthusiasts the smallest die possible.

any chance I'll see x99 based itx motherboards? I know its a lot to ask for given the higher TDP

any chance I'll see x99 based itx motherboards? I know its a lot to ask for given the higher TDP

I wouldn't hold my breath...the massive 2011 ILM takes up so much space, it really leaves very little for anything else. The narrow ILM could be used, but high-end coolers or blocks based on it are nearly non-existant. The higher VRM requirements for the 2011 chip will also compound the difficulty level for the board's designers. Of course, with things like USB 3.0 moving onto the chipset, I'd say the odds are slightly better for an X99 iTX board than they were for an X79 one...but are still very remote.;)

I wouldn't hold my breath...the massive 2011 ILM takes up so much space, it really leaves very little for anything else. The narrow ILM could be used, but high-end coolers or blocks based on it are nearly non-existant. The higher VRM requirements for the 2011 chip will also compound the difficulty level for the board's designers. Of course, with things like USB 3.0 moving onto the chipset, I'd say the odds are slightly better for an X99 iTX board than they were for an X79 one...but are still very remote.;)

X99 will also benefit from die shrink

I asked a well known manufacture about this and the rep said:

Main obstacles:

1) Power requirements in small footprint - though these can be mitigated by using daughterboards.
2) Cooling.
3) Market demand needs to be sufficient to justify our time in R&D (just sound business sense). Not many people need the additional cores in this form factor when the 4C8T parts do what they need.

Market demand isn't high right now, especially if 6C comes to Skylake.
Most likely a mATX build would be a better option; still compact and more options to expand.

I wouldn't worry about DDR4 too much, it'll be a while before it drops to reasonable prices. Which is probably when it reaches the mainstream chips, which I'm guessing is Skylake?

You do have a point. Anytime new tech premieres, manufacturers are always charging an arm and a leg to buy it.

It still has a higher TDP and more strict VRM requirements.

More likely will be a DTX form factor seen only in Shuttle cases.

Indeed. Haswell-E is still 22nm, the same as Ivy-E, and being what's likely to be a native 8-core die, will be a fair bit larger (and therefore warmer) as well. This is especially true if one considers the Haswell-E 8-core when overclocked...an iTX system's modest VRMs would be hard pressed to properly feed such a chip. This combined with the requirement for far more complex DIMM trace routings due to the quad channel configuration of Haswell-E would make an iTX board a very tough board to do and do right.

perhaps with a daughterboard an itx board can be made, but the other issue is RAM slots. Aren't these chipsets based on quad channel memory?

Back