Has your G-Sync display locked you into the Nvidia EcoSystem?

Has your G-Sync display locked you into the Nvidia EcoSystem?

• Total voters
You are simply buying into the branding, and ignoring the fact that every monitor marked as "Gsync Compatible" is using VESA Adaptive Sync or HDMI-VRR under the hood.
Again, yes. D-u-h.

If Nvidia calls it G-Sync, then that's what it is - regardless of the iteration used.

I don't get why thats a hard concept to swallow. Actually, I'll just ignore further posts as you obviously don't get it.

They are "compatible with g-sync", they are not "g-sync". Just like IBM Compatible PCs were "Compatible with IBM", they are not "IBM".

I don't think it requires any more in depth discussion than that. It's pretty simple.

So ive concluded... Fuck nVidia this round

I'll be rocking a 6900xt soon in my rig!

And I love my Odyssey G7 FreeSync Premium Pro HD600 Vesa Certified Display

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I have an HP Omen 27” 1440p 144-165hz GSYNC. I don’t mind sticking with nVidia. Once I can max out settings on this monitor I can peacefully upgrade to 4k120. Hopefully by then GPUs from nvidia and amd have moved onto better tech.

I have an LG display that is Freesync.

My Nvidia cards drive the VRR on it anyway.

I don't know that this question is as valid as it once was.

What does it matter? The rona caused pc hardware market to freaking explode. Do you actually think bots aren't going to do the same thing that they did to nv?

Right now the demand for gaming at home is so high. My King Henry big toe could sell pc hardware and sell out in seconds. It doesn't matter. Tech toys are in such high demand, it's going to be gone in seconds again.

Sucks to want anything gaming related right now.

Previous 2 monitors were G-Sync and I was fine with Nvidia.

However, I made sure my most recent monitor was G-Sync Compatible/FreeSync so I had the option for AMD.

Looks like AMD might have the goods this time, so I'm excited to run a full AMD rig as my daily driver.

I think we can all see due to Nvidia allowing gsync to work on freesync monitors, which means basically that Nvidia now also uses freesync, shows that gsync is basically being phased out. I don't think they made as much money out of it than they wanted.
I've used both and have had mixed results with both. Many Nvidia drivers especially mixed with windows 10, since the infamous broken update, have gsync broken in many instances.

Freesync will be the lasting version even Nvidia knows this.

Still many people don't know how gsync works and what it's limitations are due to Nvidia never being clear. Gsync has a polling rate of 1ms which basically means if you turn vsync off you can still get tearing usually at the bottom of the screen at certain refresh rates bellow your monitors max gsync rate. This is not the 2 or 3 fps below the monitors rate that blur busturs state either it is way below.

For 144 Hz monitors tearing will start at around 125fps due to this polling rate.

Depending on your monitors Hz rate this will effect how big of a gap between max gsync rate and actually where the tearing starts with gsync off. The lower the Hz the smaller the drop in fps rate between the two.

So

144hz the tearing starts at 125 fps
120hz the tearing start at around 115
60hz the tearing starts at around 55hz.

This is why originally Nvidia had the vsync set to on automatically as auto.

Now auto means off or use program.

If you leave vsync on with gsync there is no tearing all the way up to your monitors max gsync rate. There probably will be added lag once you go above those same fps points mentioned earlier once the poling rate effects the gsync rates. But it's minimal.

Many people have vsync set to off and limit their fps to 3 fps lower as directed by blurbusters but still get tearing near the bottom of the screen and think their card or monitor is broken. Countless people have even replaced monitors or gone back to regular monitors due to this.

Gsync compatible means freesync not gsync so no monitor that does both actually does both only freesync.

The latest Nvidia drivers are having gsync not work properly in dx9 now due to dx9 being processed differently now in windows. Full screen optimizations work the opposite way around too for dx9 you need it on not off like the rest.

My gsync monitor needs replacing during my next build so I am contemplating going full Amd this time. Most of nvidias tech is all just software locked to Nvidia through software flags they can all be ported once someone looks into it. They are not doing anything fancy.

I think maybe gamers need to give someone else a run this time over and use it to push the Industry on a bit as over the last few years I've not been impressed at all with what has come out.

I'm not dropping fps down from 120-141 to 30fps just to get ray tracing. It has to be working at the same high fps for it to be worth it otherwise it's a downgrade in my opinion.

Freesync will be the lasting version even Nvidia knows this.
I think there's going to be a split between VESA Adaptive Sync (for DP) and HDMI-VRR (for HDMI). You're not going to see a single unified standard, unfortunately.

Back