Has your dealer contacted you about the Sandy Bridge recall?

Puyol

n00b
Should they?

I've not heard a word about the recall from anyone, sure those who read engadget or visit forums are aware of it but that's a small percentage of pc owners I'd think.

Did you hear from you dealer?

Last edited:
Most reputable merchants sent out emails regarding the issue and how they will either update at a later date or had a fleshed out plan of action already.

Personally, I got an email from Newegg within a couple of days after the recall was officially announced.

Bought my Asus from Newegg the first day it came out. Never received anything from the Egg or Asus (even after registering my board with Asus).

Dealer? The Recall? I've received a call and letter from Cadillac recently regarding the axle on my truck, but not from any computer parts "dealers".

(I'm assuming you're talking SB?):confused:

I received a letter in the mail from Micro Center explaining the issue and that I will again be contacted with any updates. I'm hoping they will offer in-store swap.

Tiger Direct changed the description of the motherboard to remove the section where they said it had a replacement warranty on it. now it reads, no returns, no refunds.

Then I heard about the sata card they're offering so I emailed them asking what kind it was because I need all 4 ports.

They immediately sent a reply back stating the card would be shipping and arrive in 2-5 business days.

I told them to hold their horses...I just want to know what kind of card they're offering...they then told me again it was shipping out...Idiots...

I wrote and submitted a review of the card they're sending telling them I believe I'll just send it to those guys who do the Will it Blend videos and they cancelled the shipment, lol!

Nothing from Newegg. I would really love to know why Newegg sent out Emails to "select" customers and ignored others.

Nothing from Newegg. I would really love to know why Newegg sent out Emails to "select" customers and ignored others.

I didn't get the e-mail from Newegg either so I e-mailed them and asked about it. The response that I got was "I checked your order and see that you did purchase a motherboard that's impacted by this. Sorry you didn't get the original e-mail but here's a copy of what was sent out.". Either they really messed up in sending that e-mail out or maybe they decided that they jumped the gun a little bit and decided to stop sending the e-mail and see what the motherboard manufacturers were going to say. I don't recall if MSI or Gigabyte had announced their plans at the time Newegg started sending that e-mail but Asus had not yet released all the details regarding their plans at the time. Who knows. As long as I get as rev B3 board that works, it's all good.

just called superbiiz
nice gal on phone
no phone wait time
told me whenever new rev comes out, just call and they will setup RMA
very laid back, no hassle
no problemo
kewl

Canada Computers posted a bulletin on their front page. Two options for Sandy Bridge mobos:

1. Full refund on a SB mobo starting now
2. Replacement for SB mobo starting mid-March through mid-April

It doesn't spell out the replacement option, so one can only assume they mean they'll swap for the same component.

Plus you can do it in-store or online! I thought this was pretty swell of them.

Got mine from Buy.com a day or 2 after the whole issue was announced. I'm not too concerned about replacing it since i'm not using any of the SATAII ports, but haven't heard anything from Buy.com.

I'd get it replaced through Asus, but not sure I want to go through the hassle of not having a motherboard for several days or however long it'll take to send it to them and get one back.

I bought my board from Novatech (in the UK).
Their website has nothing about the P67 chipset problem and I have heard nothing from them so I have sent them a messge thru their contact system asking what their plans are.
I have not seen any public dealer notices in the UK.

(BTW, to be pedantic the problem is chipset not Sandy Bridge)

I've had two emails from ensix offering either a refund or replacment.

I got an email from Newegg even though the board went back. I ordered by mistake and had to return. Duh. I actually got from Amazon and have heard nothing from them. I'm just going to go through MSI. They have info up on their site. Haven't gotten an email yet. Make sure you've registered your board if you go through the manufacturer.

Bought my Asus from Newegg the first day it came out. Never received anything from the Egg or Asus (even after registering my board with Asus).

If you have an ASUS P67/H67 with the Intel6 affected chipset, we recommend that you register for ASUS' P67/H67 direct replacement RMA at http://service.asus.com/notice. We will contact you as soon as the replacements are available in the order of registrations received. This should be very soon. The end date for registration of this program will be June 30th, 2011. After this date, you can still contact us an arrange to receive an RMA replacement for your affected P67/H67 board (or system), however, your warranty will not reset to give you another 3 year warranty on the replacement. If you do register by June 30th, 2011, your replacement board will have a new 3 year warranty starting on the date we shipped the replacement to you.

-Mason@ASUS

@OC_SEER

Yes, I registered my Deluxe right after the recall was announced. I'll sit tight and wait for contact from Asus.

Thanks

Wow, a lot of you didn't get any notification from Newegg? I got an e-mail within a week of the recall announcement... Here I'll copy/paste it:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at
[email protected] and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your
Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Last edited:
That e-mail was addressed to me by name on the first line btw, and it's dated 2/1. The gist of it is I could return it immediately, but the return period was extended 'till whenever replacements are available. I think I heard they'll pay for shipping, not sure if they'll do cross shipping... MSI also contacted me and they will not only do free 3-day shipping but they'll offer cross-shipping options as well, even tho it's not mentioned in the e-mail. An MSI rep here detailed two different options, depending on how you wanna handle the hold charge on your CC. Here's MSI's e-mail:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for registering your MSI Intel 6 Series chipset motherboard or notebook with us

You have successfully completed the MSI product registration. Please keep following confirmation number as a proof of your product registration

XXXXXXXX

As soon as the brand new updated version of Intel 6 Series Motherboard and gaming notebook are available in North America, we will email to notify you to expect a UPS shipping label two weeks prior to the availability of products in channel.
Please follow the below instructions or shipping instructions in the return shipping box for replacement.

Step1: MSI will mail you a shipping box and UPS 3 Day Shipping label for return of qualified models two weeks prior to the availability of brand new products.
Step2: Mail in your original purchase of affected Intel 6-series chipset motherboard or notebook.
Step3: Your brand new replacement product will be shipped out from MSI by UPS 3 Day Shipping upon receiving your original product.

If you plan to move or change your shipping address, please email your new address to [email protected] along with your proof of product registration number.

If you have any question about the MSI Intel 6 Series chipset motherboard replacement and notebook upgrade,
please do not hesitate to email us. Thank you again for your business with MSI!

Best regards,
MSI Customer Service
Email: [email protected]

Also note that MSI has a special site/form specifically for Sandy Bridge mobo registration:

http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/snb_support.aspx

Originally I registered my mobo at their main site and received zero response, when I registered there I immediately received the e-mail above. Also, when I went to register my mobo Puerto Rico didn't appear under the states field so I couldn't fill out my address information, I sent them an e-mail about it and they had PR added to the list within 24 hours... Good service imo.

After asking my UK dealer I am advised that they do not expect to be able to exchange my board until the end of April.

They will however refund against it. (But then what do I do if P8 boards are not available?)

I went ahead and put in a RMA to MSI. They have the B3 revisions listed on their site so I figure what the hell. We'll see how it goes.

Well after doing the above I registered my board again at the replacement site.

Last edited:

I suspect you've missed the e-mail somehow.

The egg for sure was on top of it. I personally talked to them on the phone and the representative said they'd authorize to wave the restocking fee if I wanted to return practically my entire build. (CPU MOBO PSU VID CARD and RAM included.)

I received an email from Microcenter within a week of the recall. I went ahead and registered with ASUS anyway in case MC drops the ball on the replacement- that way I can just go through ASUS.

New email from MC.

An important announcement regarding your Intel I7 2600K, I7 2600, I5 2500K, or I5 2400 Processor (“Sandy Bridge”) motherboard purchase.

Beginning March 3rd, we will start to receive inventory from several manufacturers for the next 2-3 weeks. Inventory however will be limited until early April. We wanted you to be one of the first to know.

There are several options open to you. So that we may better serve you, please complete a very short questionnaire concerning which options you prefer. After completing the questionnaire you will be taken to a page with further details. See your local Micro Center store with questions.

Thank you for your business and your patience through this extremely rare situation.

Please click the link below to be taken to the questionnaire.

Your Micro Center Team

MC.png

Last edited:
I just filled out the micro center questionnaire and thought this question was cool. My boards working like a champ I would love a free $25.

"6

Would you be willing to wait until April 15th or May 15th to receive a replacement board, if we offered you a $25 Micro Center gift card?
Yes, but only to April 15th
Yes, until May 15th
No"

Just filled mine out too, and said I'd take a $25 gift card to wait until May. I'm in no rush.

Just filled mine out too, and said I'd take a $25 gift card to wait until May. I'm in no rush.

If you want to wait until May 15th, then why not do the exchange for a Z68 board instead? That might be the smartest thing to do if Z68 boards are available by then. I did my questionaire, too, but I answered No to the last question (whether or not to wait for the $25 GC). I don't think the questionaire is actually linked to you...it's just a general one to let MC know what most customers would like to do at that time. I want to upgrade to a Deluxe model when it's in stock (that's my answer to the questionaire).

The Deluxe isn't listed? Crap!
I didn't get the email, can someone please post the link?
I did get a letter in the mail when this all started but maybe I didn't get the email cause I have a Deluxe?

If you want to wait until May 15th, then why not do the exchange for a Z68 board instead? That might be the smartest thing to do if Z68 boards are available by then. I did my questionaire, too, but I answered No to the last question (whether or not to wait for the $25 GC). I don't think the questionaire is actually linked to you...it's just a general one to let MC know what most customers would like to do at that time. I want to upgrade to a Deluxe model when it's in stock (that's my answer to the questionaire).

As you just got through saying, the survey doesn't tie me to anything.

Back