Has your dealer contacted you about the Sandy Bridge recall?

Got my email too. The linked page is here: http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/intel/new_sandy_bridge_products.html

I'm concerned about the wording in their options, specifically Option 2 (red highlight by me):

Listed below are options available to you regarding your purchase:

1. Keep the motherboard you originally purchased. Intel tests have indicated the majority of customers will not have an issue with their existing motherboard. The issue is one of limitations on your ability to expand beyond more than two SATA ports. The risk of data loss is minimal. Please note: If you change your mind, you may still return or swap the board at your convenience.

2. Return the motherboard to Micro Center for a replacement. You will receive full credit for the original purchase amount to be applied toward any brand in-stock board you prefer. If this motherboard is already in use, you may want to wait until April when inventory availability significantly improves.

3. Swap the motherboard directly with the motherboard Manufacturer. Each manufacturer has certain provisions for exchange and availability. Go to www.microcenter.com for a complete list of manufacturer rules, or directly to the manufacturer's website. The manufacturers are prioritizing inventory for end-users who contact them directly.

I bought my Asus Pro with a 25% discount coupon, so if they just give me the purchase value I'll have to pay the difference to swap for a new Asus Pro. I wanted a straight swap same for same. I didn't even use it because I bought it three days before the recall. I may have to plead my case to the store manager. I can always swap with Asus, but that kills the convenience factor of exchange at the local store in case the new board is defective.

By the way, I voted for April 15 with a $25 dollar MCGC. Maybe I can get an SSD too with my tax refund.

I would assume if you want the identical replacement they wont give you any trouble.

I'm in the same boat as you and will RMA through the manufacturer if i have to pay extra to get my mobo swaped.

I go this e-mail from Newegg today:

Dear Valued Customer,

Great news! Earlier this month, we sent you an e-mail notifying you of a design issue with the Intel Sandy Bridge compatible motherboard model you recently purchased from our site. We are pleased to announce we expect to receive our first batch of replacement motherboards soon and, based on your purchase date, you are eligible to request your replacement at this time for the specific order and item information provided below.

Sales order number: XXXXXXXX
Item number available for replacement at this time: XX-XXX-XXX

To guarantee your replacement, please reply to this email within the next 7 business days. We currently have a very limited supply of replacements and unless we hear from you within that time frame, we will release unclaimed units to the next in line.

At Newegg, we are committed to making this process easy and convenient for you. Please note the options below and reply to this e-mail with your selection in the subject line:

A. Regular RMA

Regular RMAs are shipped once we receive your original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, we will create an RMA and send you a free return shipping label. Once we receive the original item from you, Newegg will ship the replacement to the original shipping address.

B. Advanced RMA

Advanced RMAs allow us to ship the replacement to you promptly and gives you 30 days to return the original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, a Customer Service Representative will contact you within 2 to 3 business days to process your RMA. Advanced RMAs require a Credit Card authorization: in the event we do not receive the defective replacement within 30 days from the date the replacement is shipped, the credit card you provide on the phone will be charged in the amount of the product retail price. Please include the best phone number to reach you at in your email but do NOT include your credit card information.

C. Not Interested

If you are not interested in a replacement, or have initiated a replacement with the manufacturer, you can either reply with "C" or "Not Interested" in the subject line, or simply disregard this email.

If you do decide to return your product, please send back the original retail box (if available) and all accessories originally included. Your replacement is a brand new item and is equipped with new accessories. All replacements will be mailed to the original shipping address unless otherwise specified in your e-mail.

We appreciate your patience in this matter and thank you for your patronage!

Sincerely,
Newegg.com

I'm actually not sure what to do... MSI hasn't contacted me yet about impending replacement availability but they did say previously they'd also offer advance replacement and free 3-day shipping.

I would love to have the option to wait it out a bit and possibly exchange for a Z68 at Newegg but I'm not sure if that's gonna be possible... Otherwise I wouldn't mind getting it replaced right now since I haven't yet switched to my SB build full time, still tinkering with it, haven't had time to set it all up to my liking. I also gotta ask Newegg if a missing UPC will be an issue, since I already cut that out and sent it in for a rebate.

Got my notice from Newegg today saying they were receiving their first shipment of boards in and to email back with which type of RMA I wanted to use. Choose advanced RMA so just waiting now for them to contact me to arrange the swap.

One thing that isn't clear in that e-mail is whether I forfeit my chance at a replacement if I don't do it right away or if I'll still be able to do it later... Originally they said it'd be extended for 90 days or until replacements are available, in my case 90 days would be 'till early May (at which point I think Z68 would be out)... Hmm.

Great to see that Newegg is taking care of a few SELECT customers by sending out emails.

Yeah, it's tempting to get a refund on the board, and wait until Z68 is out in May. Even though it's supposed to be better at overclocking, it can't be *that* much better... can it?

Great to see that Newegg is taking care of a few SELECT customers by sending out emails.

It certainly seems like there were a fair number of people, myself included, who never received any e-mail from Newegg regarding the the Cougar Point chipset flaw and how it would impact H67/P67 owners. I eventually contacted them and got a reply saying "it *does* look like you purchased an affected board! Sorry we somehow missed you, but here's a copy of the original e-mail that was sent out". Assuming that they didn't intentionally stop sending the e-mail out for some reason, it seems like they really dropped the ball by "inadvertently" not sending the original e-mail to what seems like a decent number of customers.

As far as replacement boards go, I agree that it makes sense for them to offer up board replacements based on order date, especially in the beginning when stock of the new B3 boards is just starting to trickle in. I didn't order my P8P67 until 1/19 and I'm sure they had plenty of orders for H67/P67 motherboards prior to that even if the boards didn't go on sale until 1/9 when the CPUs launched. But given that I never received the original e-mail from them, I don't have high expectations about receiving this e-mail, either...at least not until I contact them about the matter.

I ordered my motherboard about two or three days before the recall btw (depends on whether you count Sundays or not)... And I got all the pertinent e-mails from Newegg, so it's not a matter of them contacting early buyers first. It seems like their system just failed at properly identifying all the Cougar Point buyers, maybe they did it by brands or mobo models and some weren't properly tagged? I bought an MSI P67A-GD55.

Yeah, it's tempting to get a refund on the board, and wait until Z68 is out in May. Even though it's supposed to be better at overclocking, it can't be *that* much better... can it?

I haven't read anything that says it should be a better OC'er... AFAIK the only advantage to Z68 will be that it'll let you OC AND also use the on-board GPU on SB CPUs. Right now you can either OC (P67) or use the on-board GPU (H67, etc.); but not both.

Now the advantage to being able to do both is primarily that you can have an OC'd system that can also make use of Intel's QuickSync tech for encoding video, which seems to do a better or faster job of it than GPUs are doing right now... But they're not building in hybrid graphics support or anything so your dedicated GPU won't shut down when the integrated one is in use or anything. In fact, if you're running a dedicated GPU, even w/Z68 you wouldn't be able to use QuickSync unless you either A) plugged a monitor directly into the motherboard or B) used a software solution that ties the two together like Virtu's.

I called Newegg and asked if a missing UPC would be an issue with getting my Sandy Bridge mobo replaced (since I sent it to MSI for a rebate), they said it wouldn't be a problem, so that's good.

I also asked if I could exchange it for a different product (thinking Z68) and they told me I could not, even tho supposedly they had extended the return period by 90 days... I guess if I fought it they'd probably budge (maybe while charging me a restocking fee), but since details on Z68 are still pretty scarce I guess I'll just forget about that and get my replacement P67 mobo post haste.

I got a combo discount on it and the 2500K anyway so it'd probably get messy if I tried to swap it for something different. If Z68's mysterious SSD Caching feature turns out to be something I want I'll just upgrade later... I'm sure there will be folks out there looking to buy second hand P67 B3 boards while stock is still scarce. :p

Just waiting on Newegg's callback now, since they've got an entirely different department handling this, it's not the usual returns department. MSI still hasn't contacted me about the RMA (beyond the initial registration confirmation) so they're either behind or that, or the US office just hasn't gotten confirmation on new shipments and Newegg has. I do hope Newegg isn't prompting me for an RMA if the replacements aren't shipping soon, tho they give ya 30 days to return the old board if you're doing an Advanced RMA.

Today collected a new B3 board and returned the original. No problems with any one that I have dealt with but the company was not in any way proactive about it - not that I expected it here in the UK. Dealer is Novatech

Last edited:
My Newegg RMA arrives Wednesday according to FedEx, doing advanced replacement.

FedEX attempted delivery on mine today. it's coming from Asus direct. FedEx required a signature and no one was home. Heads up to others on that.

Asus RMA status page never updated for me, it still shows my CC being processed and low and behold, my replacement shows up today.

Have to pick it up now at FedEx building.

AntOnline's response to my question about replacement of my Intel DP67DE:

Thank you for your email. You will need to contact Intel directly for recall information.

http://www.intel.com/feedback.htm?iid=ftr+contact

The appropriate link on that page appears to be Part Replacement. I'm posting this for those who are getting no help from whoever they bought their motherboards from.

Won't be buying from AntOnline again.

My Newegg RMA was delivered to the office after I left, d'oh... So I'll be starting at the box most of the day tomorrow.

Back