has WoW single handedly saved pc gaming?

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
i'll admit i had my stint playing WoW and can totally understand it's pull. it has elements that appeal to hardcore rpg players. i quit playing and mainly play fps's and gow on 360 but i was just thinking about how many people play this game.

when people talk about pc gaming dying this would never really be possible as long as companys like blizz continue to develop games. it may end up being that the major games relaeased on pc will end up being either, rts, fps, or mmorpg but at least these games will be hardcore. lol. whatever.

plus as long as there are hardcore nerds like john carmack we will always have good pc fps's.

Pc gaming wasn't going anywhere, whether or not WoW came out. You guys gotta stop being so pessimistic.

No, it just saved MMOs. seriously, there are way too many of those right now.

If anything, it might have hurt it since people are so addicted they don't any new games.

I don't think it's a terrible question... but maybe a little exaggerated.

I don't know that it single-handedly saved PC gaming because, like others have said, I don't think PC gaming was really dying. I do think WoW has made a lot more people into PC gamers than almost any other game in recent history. I know tons of people who had never touched pc games before WoW... so if those people stick w/ PC's after WoW has died off, you can't deny the positive effect the game will have had on the industry.

Unfortunately, it might be hurting the industry a little right now because so many people are hooked on it and not buying other stuff, but like i said... it could all pay off in the end.

(hope that makes sense... i'm f'in tired.)

WoW has probably ruined PC gaming since more companies will probably milk the monthly fee thing

instead of making WoW, Blizzard could have pushed out SC2 faster, which would "save PC gaming"

WoW ruined PC gaming man. I get on Teamspeak and everyones in the WoW room. Noone in the Company of Heros, BF2, or CoD2.

Me Sad

Let's just say this is one type of thread I wasent expecting to see on this forum. Seems like pointless trolling and spamming...

wow sux.

Wow, only one person responded to the thread. The rest of you guys got caught up in the use of one word, "dying".

Wow, only one person responded to the thread. The rest of you guys got caught up in the use of one word, "dying".

The comments don't make any sense if PC gaming isn't dying, which it's not.

WoW has probably ruined PC gaming since more companies will probably milk the monthly fee thing

instead of making WoW, Blizzard could have pushed out SC2 faster, which would "save PC gaming"

Why would blizzard push to develop a game that would make them less money. Blizzard now has the available cash to properly persue other avenues it would like to explore.

Without WoW, I don't think Blizzard would have ever released some of the titles that we are waiting for.

What if he said diminishing?

I think the first response I would have gone with, would have been WoW hurting PC gaming. When you are addicted to WoW, you aren't buy many other titles.

I think this is the WORST THREAD EVER therefore I am going to bump it.:rolleyes:

I don't think WOW had that much of an impact on PC gaming overall but it certainly brought some life to the MMORPG genre. I can't think of an mmorpg before or since wow that has had as much impact, even on people that aren't in the know. How many other games had an entire southpark episode about them? ;)

I'd say WoW brought in some new people to PC gaming. However it wasn't dying at all.

It brought me a bit back from consoles. I play a good bit more on my PC now. Though I think that had more to do with a lot of crap in a row coming out on the PC and many more titles that interested me on consoles. That and Valve had recently cut me deep by killing DoD 3.1 for good and forcing that garbage they dare call DoD into the spotlight instead. I went to my consoles to cry after that. :(

A better statement would be WoW single handedly DUMBED down mmorpgs to the lowest common denominator of stupid player which other games have fallen suit by going console first with a pc port.

Gaming is in a sell to make money stage not a creative make the game good stage. imo

Games are not anywhere near as hard or challenging as they once were this goes triple for WoW type games.. a original EQ server with original EQ rules and raids would make the average WoW player quit in a heartbeat. granted their are hardcore EQ players iam sure in WoW now but mont probaly yearn for the feeling EQ gave them when they first played. even if nekid corpse runs for 4 hours did anger them at the time. :D gogo bronze backup armor in the bank for old school fear rebreak :D quick corpse almost poof!

Back