Has the video engine changed between pascal and turing?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I have an off the wall question.

For encodes etc... has the video engine performance increase between pascal and turing (rtx) cores?

I have no way to find out as I do not own a turing based card. Only my two pascals.

Maybe there is a far out chance there is a heavy video encoding type person out there that would know.

I have been using a combination of my Threadripper as well as 1080 ti to convert 30TB of h264 videos to h265 and its taking FOREVER. But I have a feeling I am hitting about the peak one can hit with current halo hardware. Other than using big ass Xeons and Epycs which I cant afford.

NVENC for Turing now has support for HEVC B-Frames which Pascal did not. Plus it has up to 25% bitrate savings for HEVC.
Is it worth buying a 2080Ti to shave off a few hours a day for months worth of encodes (30TB) is what it boils down to.
How much money is it really worth to you?

You could game on it though, so it's not that you would be throwing away money, unless you get a space invaders edition that is.

NVENC for Turing now has support for HEVC B-Frames which Pascal did not. Plus it has up to 25% bitrate savings for HEVC.
Is it worth buying a 2080Ti to shave off a few hours a day for months worth of encodes (30TB) is what it boils down to.
How much money is it really worth to you?

You could game on it though, so it's not that you would be throwing away money, unless you get a space invaders edition that is.

Good points.

Thanks

Back