Has the Supply of Fast DDR2 Dried Up?

qdemn7

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought supplies of DDR2 were supposed to improve and prices were to drop. Seems like no one has any real selection of the "fast" DDR2. (DDR2-1000 or faster). The 'Egg has most fast 2 x 1GB DDR2 modules as "Auto-Notify". They have even dropped some completely, like the G Skill. "Black" HZ series faster than DDR2-800. Anyone know just what's going on? :confused:

I noticed this as well. Read yesterday that DRAM supply could face a shortage thanks to everyone gearing up for Vista. 2GB sector may get hit pretty hard. :(

Edit: Nevemind. Look at Mushkin's site. They still have Redline.

i wouldnt recommend redline, i think at 6-6-6-18 timing, the ram overclocks to 1.14ghz. there are cheaper ram with same quality that overclocks more. to me its simply value vs performance. for example the OCZ pc2 8000 dualCHTitanium alpha VX2 clocks to 1.18ghz at 6-6-6-18 timings and is a tiny bit cheaper than the redline.

mushkin's 6400 series ram are a better buy than their 8000 series ram, which includes redline.

Im patiently waiting for 2GB PC2-8500 Corsair Dominator to show back up. :(

Corsair Rep, whats the deal yo? :D

the redline and xp6400 both use the same chips. the 8000 are just higher binned parts. both are readily available. we are got plenty of chips and retailers and etailers are all getting parts into stock

i agree, they are the same chips with the difference in binned parts ratio. But as consumers all we can control is what price we buy them and how much we can overclock them by either changing frequency by increasing voltage or latency timings. With that said, my take is that muskin's 6400 line gives more value and performance than their 8000 line in comparison to competition.

dR.Jester said:

Making it as fast as we can, man! I've been dealing out caffeine to our line workers to keep them up all night soldering ICs onto PCBs for you guys.

I've had a 2gb set of the 6400 XMS2 Pro on backorder @ Fry's for like 2 weeks now and they still dont have an ETA.... I got my 8800GTX yesterday so this is now the last thing I'm waiting for for my build... @ $239 it was a good deal compared to the competition but I'm starting to doubt that I'll ever actually see it =/

Patience is wearing thin and even though it wouldn't look as good in my case I'm nearing the point of picking up the Crucial 10th Anniversary stuff

dR.Jester said:

BAH!!! I want the NEW stuff!!

Extreme Details
Part Number » TWIN2X2048-9136C5D
Type » DDR2-1142 (XMS2-9136)
Size » 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB)
Latency » 5-5-5-15-2T
Package » 240-pin DIMM
Heat Spreader » Dominator

Bah on the corsair and ocz stuff.

They do so much binning that its hard to reliably find lower end parts with huge potential.

If they do exist Corsair just slaps a XXXX sticker on them and raises the price.

You deffinately do get what specs you pay for, but anything more is a crap shoot.

If you want the high end and dont mind paying for it they are great choices though.

Back