Has the HTPC time passed

Im using an esxi box running windows 7 streaming a hdhomerun prime to 2+ xbox extenders. I run mediabrowser classic and everything works really well. I avoid the pile of equipment rental fees and enjoy not brleing locked down and limited by comcasts equipment. I use mce buddy for conversion and commercial skipping... So ive got a pretty badass setup so HTPCs arejt going away for me any time soon.

I wont say that setup has been without issue though.. network streaming performance issues, stuff like that. Some of it has driven me crazy.

I reinstalled windows 7 64 bit last night on my HTPC. Put on MadVR in MPC-HC, and it looks amazing! I forgot how good MadVR was! Definitely HTPC with MadVR if you want the best visual quality!

Too bad there is no way to get this to work through XBMC.

Too bad there is no way to get this to work through XBMC.

You can if you tell XBMC to launch an external video player like MPC-HC but personally I think that sucks for my setup so I went with JRiver which comes with madVR. I'm not big on the madVR upscaling thought, I prefer using madVR for 3DLUT color correction.

I have 1 main HTPC in the living room with 5 tuners that acts as a media server to 2 other HTPCs. The 5 other computers in the house, along with the tablets & such, also get their media streamed from this HTPC & HDHomerun tuner. The media center houses all movies, music, pictures, home movies, etc. We only have OTA tv, Netflix, Crackle (hardly ever used), & Youtube. Couldn't live without the HTPC. We would miss the few shows that we actually watch.

You can if you tell XBMC to launch an external video player like MPC-HC but personally I think that sucks for my setup so I went with JRiver which comes with madVR. I'm not big on the madVR upscaling thought, I prefer using madVR for 3DLUT color correction.

I did this but found it was just easier to use my super small wireless keyboard+trackpad combo instead of a remote control. I use MPC-BE as my external player.

Our TV handles Netflix, Amazon, and others on its own.

Our Windows 7 HTPC was basically a DVR. But since Comcast encrypted all channels and since we don't watch much broadcast/cable TV anymore, it gets very little use. Yeah, I could buy and install a Cablecard tuner, but what's the point?

I think that pretty soon I'll be getting rid of it.

Is there really a turn-key solution available other than an HTPC that can:

1) Work with two HD Homerun Prime digital tuners (6 tuners total)
2) Play all known movie formats with proper DTS etc output, including 3D video (and soon 4K)? Plex won't even recognize quite a bit of media without careful renaming of files etc.
3) Record TV shows from the HD Homerun, while also viewing/pausing etc shows real time?

I have a server setup for my parents for all their media, but they still want their 300+ channels too, so HTPCs seemed the only available option at the time. If there is something similar with 1080p surround sound etc that can do all of that that is even easier to use with a IR regular type of remote, I'd certainly try one out.

For me, it has sort of evolved into something else. What started many years ago as a pure media machine is now my main gaming PC. I prefer games with a controller for just about anything that I'm not playing competitively online or something designed with a mouse in mind (RTS, for example). I still use my PC for media purposes also, as I'm quite fond of Plex. I use consoles for Netflix and Hulu since the apps works fine, but Plex stays on the PC.

Is there really a turn-key solution available other than an HTPC that can:

1) Work with two HD Homerun Prime digital tuners (6 tuners total)
2) Play all known movie formats with proper DTS etc output, including 3D video (and soon 4K)? Plex won't even recognize quite a bit of media without careful renaming of files etc.
3) Record TV shows from the HD Homerun, while also viewing/pausing etc shows real time?

I have a server setup for my parents for all their media, but they still want their 300+ channels too, so HTPCs seemed the only available option at the time. If there is something similar with 1080p surround sound etc that can do all of that that is even easier to use with a IR regular type of remote, I'd certainly try one out.

The only thing that can more or less do this is the Xbox 360/Media Center Extender model... from what I've found.

This is what I use... and if it weren't for the fact that I'm running on 4-5+ year old hardware (in some cases) it would run quite a lot better

I still prefer media portal over every other device but I have not tried them all. I don't have xbox360 etc, seem like expensive devices for HTPCs. Plus I still have an analog 5.1 receiver which makes getting good audio out of such devices difficult.

Still a HTPC user. Mostly because it gives me the most flexibility.

1) OTA antenna DVR w/ program guide (cord cutter) using Win7 MCE.
2) torrent downloading machine
3) web browsing machine when sitting in bed
4) when friends come over and want to game they have their own computer
5) wife can use netflix on our non-smart TV

Overall, nothing gives this level of flexibility with 1 cord going into my TV. I have 2 HTPC's in the house for our 2 TV's. If I had more TV's, I would have more low end HTPC's scrounged together from leftover parts.

Hardly dead, at least for me. Mine has saved me tons of money over time.

I built my htpc for about $500 add in a hr prime I paid $99 for, so $600. Sure it was upfront but its paid off. I was able to replace 2 DVRs (which cost $20 each per month). I use a x360 as an extender for the second TV - already had this device.

I built this setup 32 months ago. 32 months of DVR at $40 is $1280. Instead I pay $1/month for one cable card. So 1280-599 htpc cost - 32 = $649 saved.... And that number grows monthly.

That's now even taking into account how much better a htpc is compared to a DVR. Power is close to a wash but probably in my favor as DVRs consume a lot of power for what they are and my undervolted sandy i3 consumes about 30w with a killawatt.

I think right now it's relatively new for the general public, so they just take whatever is the most convenient (Netflix and iTunes) and accept it. However over time they will realize that there are better solutions to be had and will start to demand more. Personally I don't like Netflix because I'm always worried I'll be really into a movie and then the internet will just cut out for whatever reason and the night will be ruined.

My HTPC is my XBMC/Emulator/and Steam Gaming workhorse. I don't think the time has passed. I also bought an Amazon FireTV and put it in my parents' room. Its rooted and boots straight into XBMC. I think its great...but I wouldn't use it personally. I like my HTPC.

I'm currently running a super stable cablecard media center setup with ripped movies and shows. I prefer DVR'd content and the huge storage that it provides. In that sense, I won't give that part up as long as I can. I'm planning a new system for the whole house right now. I think for the main television(my main man cave tv) I'm still going HTPC for DVR and will create a huge server for rips. I am looking at xbox 360 slims for the other rooms as extenders not only because of the extender capability, but because of the streaming services. Through using a roku 3 half the time, I can certainly see the need/want for streaming services, which brings me to the next determination for the main tv. I am trying to decide between using a smart tv integrating system like Sharp's that integrates streaming services and the tv input into one experience OR using the Xbox One. IMO, this is where the HTPC is being killed off. There's no uniform, smooth 10-foot experience that's easy to use for the HTPC as far as streaming apps. I currently use the old Media Center playon plugin and its just clunky as hell, so I've been experimenting with Plex Home Theater's apps and they are just too poor and basic. I really, really think Microsoft made a mistake in killing off Internet TV in Media Center, which had a kick ass interface and would have made the roku useless for me. So for now I will just either use a Smart TV's apps with the HTPC in the HDMI or Use it with the Xbox One for an integrated experience.

I literally came here to post a thread on the same topic. Great minds think alike, eh?

For the last few years I've had HTPC's. There wasn't really any other options when I started out with cord cutting. At one time I had 3 HTPC's running XBMC. I added a full Windows Server box a few years ago that they all streamed from. For a few years, they all did exactly what I wanted - Displayed media on the TV's throughout my house. They were all controlled via remote so my wife and kids could use them. Everything was good. But things changed for two reasons.

1. Plex Media Server - Once I discovered this beautiful piece of software with all it's capabilities, things really began changing. All media available to any device on my network with a Plex app, and even remotely when signed in with my account.

2. Streaming Boxes - They went mainstream. We had very few real options a few years ago, and then Roku blows up and changes things.

The combination of the two removed the need for the HTPC's almost entirely. I replaced two of the HTPC's in 2012. And as of last night, I'm officially HTPC free. I just can't justify the extra electricity expense and the maintenance required anymore. Our four Roku 3's, paired with Plex, do everything I've ever needed or wanted from an HTPC. I know there are some hardcore people who want 4k, 3D, and audiophile sound, but I really can't tell the difference for our needs. Everything just works. Every TV has access to all my movies and TV shows at 1080P quality. All our home videos are accessible as well.

So, to answer the question: Has the HTPC time passed? I would say yes it has, for 90% of people.

I literally came here to post a thread on the same topic. Great minds think alike, eh?

For the last few years I've had HTPC's. There wasn't really any other options when I started out with cord cutting. At one time I had 3 HTPC's running XBMC. I added a full Windows Server box a few years ago that they all streamed from. For a few years, they all did exactly what I wanted - Displayed media on the TV's throughout my house. They were all controlled via remote so my wife and kids could use them. Everything was good. But things changed for two reasons.

1. Plex Media Server - Once I discovered this beautiful piece of software with all it's capabilities, things really began changing. All media available to any device on my network with a Plex app, and even remotely when signed in with my account.

2. Streaming Boxes - They went mainstream. We had very few real options a few years ago, and then Roku blows up and changes things.

The combination of the two removed the need for the HTPC's almost entirely. I replaced two of the HTPC's in 2012. And as of last night, I'm officially HTPC free. I just can't justify the extra electricity expense and the maintenance required anymore. Our four Roku 3's, paired with Plex, do everything I've ever needed or wanted from an HTPC. I know there are some hardcore people who want 4k, 3D, and audiophile sound, but I really can't tell the difference for our needs. Everything just works. Every TV has access to all my movies and TV shows at 1080P quality. All our home videos are accessible as well.

So, to answer the question: Has the HTPC time passed? I would say yes it has, for 90% of people.

What format are your movies in? I still cannot find a stream box that can take MKV files without hassle.

All my movie files are in mkv and I can play them back on my Samsung TV using the plex app with no issues. Plex has been pretty awesome. I got in on the lifetime plex pass before they raised the price. Well worth it IMO.

I have also started using Plex. I have it streaming to all of my devices, Ipad, tablets. It has my music, movies, and even recorded tv. I currently have a Tower case sitting in my living room next to my tv, that is the only computer that I have. It is mainly for recording tv with a ceton 4 pcie, I am trying to find a HTPC case that can hold 5 drives AND be quiet. I think that then I might be happy with the home theater What I have may be overkill:

AMD 1075t 6 core 3.0ghz
Asus motherboard
8gb ram
ceton PCIe 4 tuner card

This machine handles my ripping / storage / media / everything...

my wife and i have been using our HTPC for over 8 years. she is fairly tech literate but definitely no a geek

we both love WMC and just the ability to go from live tv to recorded tv to youtube to netflix and then to Amazon video...... without switching inputs..

just with WMC had an SDK that was more open so other new apps could be added.

netflix app hasnt updated since like 2007

i will hold out as long i can with Windows 7

nothing else is as nice IMO, been rock solid for 8 years, old hardware low powered dual core CPU with a low end dedicated GPU, a small SSD and a 2tb hard drives

Back