Has Mankind Gone Too Far With Drone Fishing?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
No boat? No problem. Apparently, people are now fishing with thousand-dollar drone setups.

The concept is simple. Buy one of those drones every upper middle class teenager seems to get for Christmas. Attach a streaming camera set-up to it. Next, rig it up so that it can fly the fishing line from the rod out, but when the fish bites the line can easily detach. Finally, attach a friend to the controls of the fishing rod. After that it’s like shooting fish in an ocean. Fly the drone around, pulling the line behind you, until you see a school of fish. Next, dangle the bait in the center of the school. Inevitably one will strike, the line will detach, and it’s up to your friend to reel in your catch. Either that or a bunch of tuna will wreck your drone and you’ll get to watch a livestream of a thousand dollars sink to the ocean floor.

Thats pretty cool. If it catches on you'll see a dozen people at that beach drone fishing :)

You wait, somehow this will be illegal as it might give humans an unfair advantage over the fish.
This was cool - but how come the tuna was not moving when he was reeling it in? I've never fished for tuna, but other fish I've caught are moving around as I reel them in.

I'd be surprised if a drone could reel in a tuna that would be worth the trouble myself, other than as a novelty thing.

Probably fake anyways, I'd be surprised if there is a drone out there that doesn't cost megabucks that could haul in a decent sized tuna.

I'd be surprised if a drone could reel in a tuna that would be worth the trouble myself, other than as a novelty thing.

Probably fake anyways, I'd be surprised if there is a drone out there that doesn't cost megabucks that could haul in a decent sized tuna.

Um Mr. drone just flies the line/bait out. Once Mr fish bites Mr drone say GG and drops the line and Mr SportsFisherMan reels it in.

Odds are if i even panfish with a $2000 drone im sure there is a turtle just gunning for me to take it to its watery grave. 1 pound test or go home.

It's not reeling in the tuna. A blue fin can go 1500Lbs. You would need one hell of a drone for that. It is the bait hook and line the drone is delivering. The line breaks away from the drone when the fish takes the bait. Then you reel it in as usual with rod and reel.

edit: nightanole beat me to it.

Fishing is such a strange thing. Trick deer into swallowing a hook so you can drown them and I bet you get more than a few odd looks.

Commercial fishing boats have been fishing out at sea with radar for years.

Um Mr. drone just flies the line/bait out. Once Mr fish bites Mr drone say GG and drops the line and Mr SportsFisherMan reels it in.

Odds are if i even panfish with a $2000 drone im sure there is a turtle just gunning for me to take it to its watery grave. 1 pound test or go home.

It's not reeling in the tuna. A blue fin can go 1500Lbs. You would need one hell of a drone for that. It is the bait hook and line the drone is delivering. The line breaks away from the drone when the fish takes the bait. Then you reel it in as usual with rod and reel.

edit: nightanole beat me to it.

OK I'm enlightened about these things a bit more now :)

Commercial fishing boats have been fishing out at sea with radar for years.
Actually this is more akin to commercial fishing fleets using manned aircraft spotters for years to find the schools. My dad knew pilots that flew small helis off larger fishing vessels and/or light fixed wing aircraft from coastal runways to spot.

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
This is not new, when I lived at the beach we used kites to carry the hook, line, sinker and a big chunk of styrofoam out to 300 - 400 yards off shore where you spotted the feeding sharks or other large fish.
We would also use RC airplanes to locate the "SPOT" <bait fish runs then fish there.

One had better check local regulations as aerial spotting in manned and unmanned vehicles is highly illegal and carries a heavy fine.

We used to use upscaled potato guns and lpg cylinders to surfcast huge lines out past the breakers here in the New Zealand.. until it was frowned upon... heheheh
Along with the aforementioned kite surfing which is still very popular.

I like the good ol' fashioned way. Find a nice spot and relax and fish. I enjoy fishing, though, and it's not my livelyhood. If I depended on catching something over and over again, I'd probably do this. Otherwise, I'm just going to fish...

Back