Has Intel fixed the Sandy Bridge S3 sleep bug ?

Repeating....There is no serial COM port header on the P8P67 Deluxe. I'm sure of that. You're guessing.

It's user ignorance that allows Asus to get away with crap like this. No doubt you also consider the matter trivial as they obviously do.

OK, time to stop guessing. The P8P67 WS Revolution definitely does and so does the P8P67 Vanilla Rev 3.0 does. I'm fairly certain the P8P67 Pro has it as well. And actually I have seen the P8P67 Deluxe. I reviewed it in fact. It's been awhile and I didn't remember whether it had that port or not. I tend not to pay too much attention to COM ports because most people don't give a shit about them. The P8P67 Deluxe I reviewed didn't have it now that I'm looking at the pictures. Why all the others have it and the Deluxe doesn't, I can't say. No clue on that one. Still, who cares? How many people actually use that feature? And yes, I'd say it's pretty trivial. The BIOS / UEFI for each of these boards is pretty much identical which makes things easier for them. Most people don't use the COM port and even fewer care about the resources it may grab. If you don't like it, you can simply disable it and recover those few resources it does take. It would have been nice for ASUS to have spent more time on customizing the BIOS for the Deluxe, or making it so you could actually use that port like they did with all the other boards in the series, but again it's not a big deal.

As for the comments about the firmware being behind on the ASUS, I'd disagree. How many of you have worked with Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, and other brands of boards recently? MSI's Click BIOS is terrible and Gigabyte is using the tired old BIOS interface. Intel is using UEFI without the menus and a horrid BIOS layout. ASUS has flaws in some of their designs and UEFI implementations but they are setting the bar. Everyone else is playing catch up to them on the BIOS / UEFI front.

Still, who cares? How many people actually use that feature? And yes, I'd say it's pretty trivial.

No surprises there.

The BIOS / UEFI for each of these boards is pretty much identical which makes things easier for them. Most people don't use the COM port and even fewer care about the resources it may grab. If you don't like it, you can simply disable it and recover those few resources it does take.

More importantly, most people won't even notice there is no COM header like our venerable reviewer....A 3rd World mindset....Excellence and perfection takes a back seat.

A decent BIOS should never include a device that does not exist. Enabling that device by default adds incompetence to the mix.

As for the comments about the firmware being behind on the ASUS, I'd disagree.

It's behind their hardware standards;

Asus Hardware == 1st World
Asus Firmware == 3rd World

I wouldn't still be using Asus boards if I thought some other motherboard offered a better combination.

Last edited:
Many people are going to disagree with that. I don't actually turn my computer off or let it sleep. I simply have it turn off the monitor(s) after a certain amount of time. I've never used the sleep functions because in the past, it's been harmful to mechanical disk drives. I've also found that Windows itself (in the past) has handled sleep mode badly and waking up from a sleep state has often been anything but reliable. These days those concerns aren't really all that valid, but old habits die hard. That and I am on my computer so much that sleep mode would generally annoy me more than anything. I let my laptops and HTPC do it but not my server or my gaming rigs.

Sleep & hibernate worked perfectly on my e8500/p45 system, so I got used to using it. Liked that I could leave the system on to finish a download, and not worry about it because it would go to sleep when done. My p8p67-m pro won't sleep, so it's either left on all the time now or I have to shut it off. Booting off an SSD so system starts up very fast (almost as fast as waking up from sleep), so it's not a huge deal. But I do miss having my computer go to sleep on it's own when idle

Many people are going to disagree with that. I don't actually turn my computer off or let it sleep. I simply have it turn off the monitor(s) after a certain amount of time. I've never used the sleep functions because in the past, it's been harmful to mechanical disk drives. I've also found that Windows itself (in the past) has handled sleep mode badly and waking up from a sleep state has often been anything but reliable. These days those concerns aren't really all that valid, but old habits die hard. That and I am on my computer so much that sleep mode would generally annoy me more than anything. I let my laptops and HTPC do it but not my server or my gaming rigs.

You implied in another post that you reviewed some of these P67 motherboards. Did you make any mention of sleep issues in these reviews? Or, did your own personal "tastes" bias you away from doing such a thing?

Sleep & hibernate worked perfectly on my e8500/p45 system, so I got used to using it. Liked that I could leave the system on to finish a download, and not worry about it because it would go to sleep when done. My p8p67-m pro won't sleep, so it's either left on all the time now or I have to shut it off. Booting off an SSD so system starts up very fast (almost as fast as waking up from sleep), so it's not a huge deal. But I do miss having my computer go to sleep on it's own when idle

Booting off an SSD so system starts up very fast (almost as fast as waking up from sleep)

How is that possible if the POST alone takes over 10 seconds? Waking from sleep takes 2-5 seconds here with mechanical drive. Probably 1-2 seconds with a SSD.

You implied in another post that you reviewed some of these P67 motherboards. Did you make any mention of sleep issues in these reviews? Or, did your own personal "tastes" bias you away from doing such a thing?

Wow, so hostile because my concerns aren't necessarily the same as yours. I didn't imply it. I've stated it. I've reviewed many if not most of the P8P67 series boards. All of them worked fine resuming from sleep mode aside from having the PLL over voltage option enabled. I generally turn off the sleep functions shortly after I begin testing because I need to run benchmarks or stress testing often overnight. As a result, it gets in my way. Still I check early on to see if the board behaves right at stock settings. Things like resuming from sleep, turbo scaling etc. are checked and if there are problems, I note them. 99% of all motherboards behave properly at stock settings. I do not tend to try the sleep functions again while overclocked. I've only done so with regard to PLL over voltage to see if all the ramblings on the forums about that were true and they are.

Turbo scaling typically breaks in some cases once you start messing with RAM speeds and some voltages. Sleep modes seem to work well at stock or near stock settings, but once you start getting into voltage tweaking it seems to be hit or miss. It's dicey with all boards from MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte. That's another reason why I don't use sleep functions on my own machines. It seldom behaves the way we want it to. Even when it works most of the time, I've often found that the system will become unresponsive to input or simply sit there with the screen in stand buy. Generally I just use the monitor power saving features and that's it. I've found it to be far less troublesome to do that way. Sleep functions have been flaky the whole time I've worked in this industry. Enthusiasts, up until a few years ago didn't really care about sleep modes at all. At least none that I knew did.

And while I don't care a lot about sleep modes myself, I have acknowledged the concern people have with that feature. Again if I encounter problems I note them somewhere in the review. Generally speaking I don't have problems with sleep / turbo until I'm way past stock settings in which case I don't expect those features to work right because they generally don't anyway.

Make sense?

And while I don't care a lot about sleep modes myself, I have acknowledged the concern people have with that feature. Again if I encounter problems I note them somewhere in the review. Generally speaking I don't have problems with sleep / turbo until I'm way past stock settings in which case I don't expect those features to work right because they generally don't anyway.
Generally speaking I don't have problems with sleep mode on any other system or platform except Sandy Bridge, overclocked or not.

Putting the PC to sleep is almost instantaneous from hitting the button my keyboard and waking up w/ a mechanical HD takes about 3 seconds from mouse click to fully usable (also on an old p45 system). When I'm paying for the electricity and cooling, I prefer not to leave my PC(s) running when I'm not using them and I also don't feel like dealing with a minute of twiddling my thumbs while the system boots and apps launch every time I sit down. In the real world sleep is a pretty important function.:rolleyes:

Back to the sleep problem.

All four leading brands of P67 mobos cannot resume from sleep when the Internal PLL Overvoltage feature is enabled.
It was meant to be a good gesture patch for extreme overclockers to go beyond 4.8GHz without using excessive Vcore.
It was not a thoroughly thought-out add-on.

So far, among the latest sandy bridge mobos, we have seen only the Z68 Extreme4 from Asrock has it resolved.
Pic below shows it coming out of sleep just fine with PLL OverVoltage enabled.

Need to flash to latest BIOS P1.5 to do that.
The original BIOS P1.2 in a new board cannot resume from sleep with PLL OV enabled.

i83643_joemaxZ68007s.jpg

All four leading brands of P67 mobos cannot resume from sleep when the Internal PLL Overvoltage feature is enabled.
It was meant to be a good gesture patch for extreme overclockers to go beyond 4.8GHz without using excessive Vcore.

So far, among the latest sandy bridge mobos, we have seen only the Z68 Extreme4 from Asrock has it resolved.

The original BIOS P1.2 in a new board cannot resume from sleep with PLL OV enabled.

i83643_joemaxZ68007s.jpg

So what is your take on boards that cannot resume from sleep even with PLL OV disabled? I suspect resuming from sleep any which way they can is the priority here.

Wow, so hostile because my concerns aren't necessarily the same as yours.

Hostile? Reviewers like you should be quality gatekeepers of sorts. But some of your comments and views had me worried for a moment.

your tone was accusatory in a prior post suggesting he was some random a biased reviewer.

Smells pretty hostile to me..

Since Dan is actually one of the [H] reviewers, you might want think about being a bit less confrontational in your posts.

lol

As a side note, if you poke around, youll find that very few reviewers found any sleep issues with the P67 boards.

As most people who are humming along without problems tend to not post in tech support forums, only those that do, you end up with the "Vocal Minority".

You obviously have sleep issues. Guess what: i dont. Im OC'd to 45x with zero sleep issues.

Last edited:
Booting off an SSD so system starts up very fast (almost as fast as waking up from sleep)

How is that possible if the POST alone takes over 10 seconds? Waking from sleep takes 2-5 seconds here with mechanical drive. Probably 1-2 seconds with a SSD.

Old P45 system: 5 seconds from sleep to password prompt, 5 more seconds for system to be ready for use after login, more if the hard drive decides to do a lot of thrashing. From off to power on to ready to use would take a full minute or more.

New P67 system: 10 second post, 5 seconds to get to password screen, 1 second to ready to use

So we're talking 10 seconds for wake up or 16 seconds for fresh boot. 60% longer, but it's 6 seconds. Not a huge deal, and almost as fast as waking from sleep ;)

Hostile? Reviewers like you should be quality gatekeepers of sorts. But some of your comments and views had me worried for a moment.

Yeah, you seem a bit hostile, or at least very confrontational for no good reason. Review sites are free, so we are not entitled to dictate what we think reviewers should and should not cover. Dan & Kyle cover what's of interest to them, which is usually highly overclocked enthusiast boards. Doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't care about sleep mode.

Last edited:
sleep is a stupid feature anyways and is counter productive

just shut your computer off

are you running a library or an internet cafe?

I let my PC sleep when I'm at work or sleeping and allow it to be woken up over LAN in case I need to RDP in or something. It saves a crap load of power when you have 10 harddrives plugged into the darn thing.

It's running Win 7 and a 2600K. Have had no issues.

your tone was accusatory in a prior post suggesting he was some random a biased reviewer.

Smells pretty hostile to me..

Since Dan is actually one of the [H] reviewers, you might want think about being a bit less confrontational in your posts.

lol

As a side note, if you poke around, youll find that very few reviewers found any sleep issues with the P67 boards.

As most people who are humming along without problems tend to not post in tech support forums, only those that do, you end up with the "Vocal Minority".

You obviously have sleep issues. Guess what: i dont. Im OC'd to 45x with zero sleep issues.

Couldn't care a rat's ass who he is or how long he has been registered here. Some of his views are disappointing to say the least. Old Caribbean adage...."The higher the monkey climb, the more him exposed".

You obviously have sleep issues.

Have already indicated in this thread that I am lucky enough not to have sleep issues. However, only an immature individual would find something like this boast worthy.

Yeah, you seem a bit hostile, or at least very confrontational for no good reason.

Waste of time.

damn....i know better than to feed the trolls...

mea culpa, mea culpa...

Let's keep in mind that "official" reviewers tend to be incredibly biased towards the manufacturers. You don't get free hardware &/or kickbacks without promoting the product and displaying some fanboism whether it's a conscious effort or not.

Let's keep in mind that "official" reviewers tend to be incredibly biased towards the manufacturers. You don't get free hardware &/or kickbacks without promoting the product and displaying some fanboism whether it's a conscious effort or not.

OK, I can take most comments and criticisms with a grain of salt, but this one deserves to be dragged out of the whole it hides in kicking and screaming then shot in the face in broad daylight. We do not get kick backs from manufacturers. We also don't get the freebies nearly as often as you might think. Some motherboards and hardware have to be purchased for review. I don't know which ones were obtained free or which ones were paid for. I treat them all the same.

If it seems like I am harder on a particular brand over another, it's usually because that brand isn't as consistent as some of the others might be.

I have a quick question:

Can you reach S3 sleep mode with the system sitting idle, or does it actually have to be suspended/sleep?

The reason I ask is because I've recently been seeing BSODs with my Sandy Bridge setup, and although I think they are a bad ram stick, I don't want to ignore other possible causes.

yup, in windows, its in Power Management. You can change how long it takes.

However, assuming stock speeds, random BSODs smells of ram timing/voltage issues.

Last edited:
OK, I can take most comments and criticisms with a grain of salt, but this one deserves to be dragged out of the whole it hides in kicking and screaming then shot in the face in broad daylight. We do not get kick backs from manufacturers. We also don't get the freebies nearly as often as you might think. Some motherboards and hardware have to be purchased for review. I don't know which ones were obtained free or which ones were paid for. I treat them all the same.

If it seems like I am harder on a particular brand over another, it's usually because that brand isn't as consistent as some of the others might be.

IMO, nothing beats Newegg Feedback (actual user reviews) when it comes to finding out what's really wrong with a relevant product. Agreed, there are a few false negatives one has to wade through before getting the true picture but overall I've been better served by looking there first before purchasing.

Typically, and for whatever reasons, there are too many omissions, beating around the bush and mincing of words in the more official type of reviews. I tend to look there after making a purchase, mainly to reinforce the conviction that I made the right decision.

i am happy with my p67 sabertooth it has worked soildly in this july heat

sleep function works if you do not overclock at all but if you do then it doesn't work
maybe an intel thing or an asus thing but iam pretty happy with the lastest bios

Have you tried putting your system to sleep and leaving it overnight?

IMO, nothing beats Newegg Feedback (actual user reviews) when it comes to finding out what's really wrong with a relevant product. Agreed, there are a few false negatives one has to wade through before getting the true picture but overall I've been better served by looking there first before purchasing.

Typically, and for whatever reasons, there are too many omissions, beating around the bush and mincing of words in the more official type of reviews. I tend to look there after making a purchase, mainly to reinforce the conviction that I made the right decision.

The problem with "user reviews" is people like you can post them. Judging by your illustrious posting career here (which will probably be short lived), nothing posted by people like you can be taken seriously.

Wow, this is a troll post if I've ever seen one.

I've not typically found user reviews to be worth while. They are usually written by morons and people with little to no knowledge of the subject matter. If you find that useful than more power to you. If you need to check user reviews after you've made a purchase to validate your conviction and decision making then you are doing it wrong. If you are doing that then I'd say you didn't do enough research on the front end of making the purchase decision.

The problem with "user reviews" is people like you can post them. Judging by your illustrious posting career here (which will probably be short lived), nothing posted by people like you can be taken seriously.

Replying to people like you is a waste of time.

I've not typically found user reviews to be worth while. They are usually written by morons and people with little to no knowledge of the subject matter. If you find that useful than more power to you. If you need to check user reviews after you've made a purchase to validate your conviction and decision making then you are doing it wrong. If you are doing that then I'd say you didn't do enough research on the front end of making the purchase decision.

Guess that makes me a hostile troll. Why don't you package and sell these red herrings instead of trying to throw them to those forum members you consider weak minded. You lost my respect several posts back so replying further to your twisted spin on my previous post would be plain silly.

Was looking at an Intel Gigabit NIC and decided to read the one-star reviews for shits and giggles. One review complained that his internet connection was no faster with the Intel NIC than his onboard (you think?). Others complained that they weren't getting 1000 mbps transfer rates over their home network (some thru their megabit router, no less). Gotta agree on the general uselessness of the reviews.

And don't feed the trolls. :rolleyes:

Was looking at an Intel Gigabit NIC and decided to read the one-star reviews for shits and giggles. One review complained that his internet connection was no faster with the Intel NIC than his onboard (you think?). Others complained that they weren't getting 1000 mbps transfer rates over their home network (some thru their megabit router, no less). Gotta agree on the general uselessness of the reviews.

The best one I ever read was about some moron who obviously ate glue and paint chips as a child talking about how his Pentium 975 Extreme Edition beat out the newer core 2's because it had Hyperthreading. :eek: I also like video card reviews where they throw a GTX 580 SLI setup in their box to play at 1024x768. Yes, these are useful opinions. They validate my purchases so I can be comfortable with how I spent my money. :rolleyes:

You filter out the nonsense there the same way you do here. Look, I fed you, I'm your friend.

The best one I ever read was about some moron who obviously ate glue and paint chips as a child talking about how his Pentium 975 Extreme Edition beat out the newer core 2's because it had Hyperthreading. :eek: I also like video card reviews where they throw a GTX 580 SLI setup in their box to play at 1024x768. Yes, these are useful opinions. They validate my purchases so I can be comfortable with how I spent my money. :rolleyes:

Keep it up and I'll start linking to valuable Newegg reviews which vastly outnumber the nonsense you're making fun of. It would be so refreshing to see something important you missed in one of your reviews being referred to again and again in user reviews.

Reviews can be useful you just need to be smart about it. First there needs to be a sufficient number of reviews to average out the 1's of the haters and the 5's of the fanboys. And just by your own reading comprehension and experience, you should be able to tell from the review itself if the reviewer has any kind of clue of what he/she is talking about and whether it is relevant.

I'll just grab the most reviewed Intel 10/100/1000 NIC on newegg. Currently it has 4 1 star reviews and an overall rating of 5 stars after 201 reviews. So while there will always be a few drooling idiots in there, just lop off the extreme outliers and the data can be useful.

yeah I was about to say that there will obviously be stupid reviews from stupid people no matter where you go. you just ignore those of course. if I see several people all reporting the same exact issue with a product then that says a lot. so yes the reviews on newegg or any other site can be helpful in some cases.

Reviews can be useful you just need to be smart about it. First there needs to be a sufficient number of reviews to average out the 1's of the haters and the 5's of the fanboys. And just by your own reading comprehension and experience, you should be able to tell from the review itself if the reviewer has any kind of clue of what he/she is talking about and whether it is relevant.

I'll just grab the most reviewed Intel 10/100/1000 NIC on newegg. Currently it has 4 1 star reviews and an overall rating of 5 stars after 201 reviews. So while there will always be a few drooling idiots in there, just lop off the extreme outliers and the data can be useful.

Reviews can be useful you just need to be smart about it.

Being a hostile troll, I'll spin that another way....Anyone who considers Newegg reviews useless is either not very smart or has an ulterior motive.

This is pretty cool information.
If asrock can find a way around the PLL + standby issue, why wouldn't MSI, gigabyte, Asus not follow?

I have my 2600K running @ 4.8ghz 24/7. Don't push it higher because it requires PLL to be enabled and I NEED standby to work properly.

BTW, pic in link not working...

i83643_joemaxZ68007s.jpg

:confused:
So is Asrock not considered one of the big 4 ? because if they have figured it out for the Z68 Extreme4 w/ the 1.5 bios update (updated CPU code), I would imagine they then would have rolled out the fix to their other motherboards. Coincidently, a few days after the 1.50 CPU code update to the Z68 Extreme4, Asrock did roll out a CPU code bios update to the their P67 boards as well. The P67 Extreme4 and Extreme6 got the update on 6/28/2011 with versions 1.80 and 1.70 respectively.

Maybe Asrock is the only company currently with a fix because they're the only one actively trying to improve their reputation ? Asus, and possibly Gigabyte, seems to have enough unquestioning fanboi's that they don't seem to care about fixing this problem. :rolleyes:
I've always bought either Gigabyte or Asus products in the past, but I'm really leaning towards giving Asrock a try now. They really seem to be getting ahead of the pack, first with the PCI-E 3.0 as well.

Asrock is owned by Asus, so if they have a fix, you can guarantee its being tested right now.

Asrock makes budget boards not mainstream or premium boards so they are not concidered part of the Top anything.

Asrock is owned by Asus, so if they have a fix, you can guarantee its being tested right now.

Asrock makes budget boards not mainstream or premium boards so they are not concidered part of the Top anything.

Asrock is NOT owned by Asus, they branched off of Asus several years ago, but they are not the same company.
They've also made significant steps up the food chain. I'm not sure how competitive their Fatal1ty series are to Asus's ROG stuff, but they're definitely not budget. Their new Gen 3 p67 & z68 boards are finely looking as good as their spec sheets.

Asrock is NOT owned by Asus, they branched off of Asus several years ago, but they are not the same company.
They've also made significant steps up the food chain. I'm not sure how competitive their Fatal1ty series are to Asus's ROG stuff, but they're definitely not budget. Their new Gen 3 p67 & z68 boards are finely looking as good as their spec sheets.

Asus still is the OEM manufacturer, and they do own the majority of the shares, so yes, they are still in control of Asrock.

I thought only P67 boards suffered the sleep bug and that the Z68 were fine. I had a Sabertooth P67 that suffered from it so I switched to a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R and sleep works perfectly with PLL enabled

some work, some dont...its pretty much a crap shoot.

its not really a bug per se, as intel gave pll overvolt as a bone for enthusiasts, it wasn't meant to be part of the platform initially. Turning it on screws up a bunch of stuff.

Back