Has Intel finally released a DDR5 HEDT motherboard?

rkd29980

Limp Gawd
The Asrock W790 WS looks like the closest thing I have seen to a DDR5 HEDT motherboard with it's 5 full x16 PCIe lanes 4 of which are 5.0.

This is aimed at workstations though but still, should I pull the trigger or wait for more and better offering to soon be released?

WTF are are u using all those slots for? All mine are empty save for a single sound card that I don't have to do and another for a GPU.

Well, one is for a GPU, one is for a Mellanox Connect X2 card and one will be for additional SATA ports. It's always nice to have enough PCIe slots for whatever I may need them for even if I never use them. That's the entire point of a HEDT motherboard. "Options"

Don't know why people post like this without qualifying their intent in the first place. Guess you just want reaffirmation. Congrads.

Wow this board looks badass. I personally don't need it but damn it is fully updated with everything possible. You actually can't go wrong? How much is it?

DDR5 HEDT motherboard with it's 5 full x16 PCIe lanes 4 of which are 5.0.

This is aimed at workstations though
I am really not sure what the distinction or issue being made between HEDT and workstation ?

Isn't high end desktop mostly what it means, high performance-capability-connectitivty workstation type hardware more than server grade ?

, should I pull the trigger or wait for more and better offering to soon be released?
Considering there is no LGA4677 you can buy right now, that seem an easy you should obviously wait. Why would you wait a motherboard without reviews for cpu without finals bios-reviews yet ?

Seem trivial that you should at least wait for the cpu to launch and then look at all the options that will exist.

Is it a fear it would be hard to buy one for a long time like a new gpu launch ?

Is it a fear it would be hard to buy one for a long time like a new gpu launch ?

Honestly, I didn't know that the CPUs weren't out yet and I haven't built a PC in almost 10 years. My current PC is a very old Z97 DDR3 build and I am just waiting for a DDR5 HEDT motherboard with the features I want so I can finaly build a new PC.

Isn't registered ECC RAM slower for gaming? That's always been my understanding to why servers generally aren't used for gaming PCs.
It's ddr5 6800. Yea ecc runs a few percent slower but I don't think it's noticable. Especially if you're not trying to push over 7000.

ECC and registered are two different concepts. ECC doesn't cost performance, registered RAM adds a bit to latency, but that shouldn't matter with the already large latency numbers for DDR5.

The hot workstation stuff is W680 with ECC (unbuffered/UDIMM) support. But the stuff is hard to find.

Don't know. I don't think it has actually made its way to retail channels yet as I can't find it anywhere. I fully expect it to be well north of $500 though.
They’re all around 1k for the new W7/W9 CPUs.

ECC and registered are two different concepts. ECC doesn't cost performance, registered RAM adds a bit to latency, but that shouldn't matter with the already large latency numbers for DDR5.

The hot workstation stuff is W680 with ECC (unbuffered/UDIMM) support. But the stuff is hard to find.
W790 now. That’s the new set of kit- just announced.

I am really not sure what the distinction or issue being made between HEDT and workstation ?

Isn't high end desktop mostly what it means, high performance-capability-connectitivty workstation type hardware more than server grade ?
It’s gotten blended badly over the years. It’s much more workstation focused now for sure.
Considering there is no LGA4677 you can buy right now, that seem an easy you should obviously wait. Why would you wait a motherboard without reviews for cpu without finals bios-reviews yet ?

Seem trivial that you should at least wait for the cpu to launch and then look at all the options that will exist.
Agreed. Give it another month.
No. They’re going to probably be available. It’s expensive kit and a niche market.

Back