Has Intel Abandoned the HEDT Market?

LukeTbk

2[H]4U
Doesn't smell right to me. It sounds like they're conflating workstation Xeon-Ws with HEDT. Wouldn't be surprised at all if at least most that comes to market, but I doubt it will be in a consumer-focused, reasonably priced (vs. enterprise), OCable platform.
Will see but yes the article is calling the Lower range Xeon-Ws line HEDT.

The up to 24 cores only, 58% of the lane, 42% of the cache, half the memory bandwith and 12.5% of the capacity of the high-end line is promising that it would not play in the crazy price range, in between Threadripper and Threadripper pro maybe ?

lopoetve

Fully [H]
Will see but yes the article is calling the Lower range Xeon-Ws line HEDT.

The up to 24 cores only, 58% of the lane, 42% of the cache, half the memory bandwith and 12.5% of the capacity of the high-end line is promising that it would not play in the crazy price range, in between Threadripper and Threadripper pro maybe ?
Thing is - that matches TR non-pro in terms of specs (Give or take a nudge on core count and cache, not looking all that up). 64 PCIE lanes is the same as the rest of the HEDT lines have been - and just what I'm looking for, at least.

The top-end ones match Xeon-W / TRPro. So... I count this a win.

LukeTbk

2[H]4U
Timing and price are obviously really important here, but

24 maximum core at high frequency, 45 MB of L3, equivalent of 130 pci Gen 4 lane bandwith (similar has the current threadripper pro 128, if PCI 5.0 hardware and configuration match up), 4-Channel DDR5 Memory (I imagine would end up to similar bandwith to a 8 channel ddr 4 current threadripper pro), do seem a really nice target for an HEDT in 2022 / early 2023.

Again, price being important obviously, if the price of the platform end up being closer to pro than regular threadripper....

drutman

Limp Gawd
Looks like Intel is resurrecting the HEDT, my Intel ex employee tells me that when server chips have cache defects they get marketed as HEDT.

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Timing and price are obviously really important here, but

24 maximum core at high frequency, 45 MB of L3, equivalent of 130 pci Gen 4 lane bandwith (similar has the current threadripper pro 128, if PCI 5.0 hardware and configuration match up), 4-Channel DDR5 Memory (I imagine would end up to similar bandwith to a 8 channel ddr 4 current threadripper pro), do seem a really nice target for an HEDT in 2022 / early 2023.

Again, price being important obviously, if the price of the platform end up being closer to pro than regular threadripper....
yeah, i saw something about TR 5995WX being 7K. Not sure the truth of it but if it is then wow they are getting cocky with prices.

Looks like Intel is resurrecting the HEDT, my Intel ex employee tells me that when server chips have cache defects they get marketed as HEDT.
I dont think thats how it works. X299 was Xeon W 2100 and 2200 Series cpus with unlocked multis. You can even Compare them to their Xeon Bronze and Silver counterparts and the cache is the same. X99 and X79 are the same way.

Grebuloner

[H]ard|Gawd
AMD cans non-pro TR

With Threadripper Pro (and its double-jacked up price) now AMD's only HEDT entry, it looks like Intel no longer has the competition to push it to do anything reasonable for us. Maybe the Mainstream level parts will have a down to earth price to them. Or maybe Intel will giggle and go back to Skylake-X's stupid-high premium.

Edit: AMD link

Last edited:

mjoeTW

n00b
I'm most excited about the lowest-core count fishhawk falls, hopefully 10 or 12 cores, for a mixed workload of gaming and high-performance math compute. Of all the CPUs I've used, the 10-core broadwell was my favorite, whereas at 18-cores, the low clock speeds made the system feel sluggish.

Grebuloner

[H]ard|Gawd
whereas at 18-cores, the low clock speeds made the system feel sluggish.
That's why we want OCable HEDT. Stock clockspeeds are just where it comes from the factory, crank up the cooling power and all the cores :cool:.

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
AMD cans non-pro TR

With Threadripper Pro (and its double-jacked up price) now AMD's only HEDT entry, it looks like Intel no longer has the competition to push it to do anything reasonable for us. Maybe the Mainstream level parts will have a down to earth price to them. Or maybe Intel will giggle and go back to Skylake-X's stupid-high premium.

Edit: AMD link
1656643403142.png

This is the big news here. "Pro" does not mean locked.

This made my heart do the warm'n'fuzzy

Grebuloner

[H]ard|Gawd
View attachment 488055

This is the big news here. "Pro" does not mean locked.

This made my heart do the warm'n'fuzzy
Is it? The total platform cost will be twice as high and push the enthusiast crowd that would have bought at TR3000 cost (or slightly higher) to be priced out to the point that the "select MBs" market will probably be...2: One from Asus, one from Gigabyte, not unlike Intel's 3175X. Is the relative gain over TR3000 really worth that?