Has anyone went back to non gsync?

TrevorR

Gawd
I currently have the Asus Swift monitor and am thinking about picking up the 34" ultrawide curved monitor. Of course the Swift has gsync and the dell doesn't.

Has anyone went from g sync to a non gsync monitor? I'm afraid of regretting my decision of buying the monitor not because the dell is better because it is, but because I'll notice the screen tearing significantly. Would like to hear some user experiences.

Thanks!

Why get the Dell? Couldn't you sell your Swift then use that money+the Dell money to get the Acer 34 inch curved 100Hz gsync instead? You would not just be losing gsync, you also be losing 144Hz refresh rate and that alone even with gsync would be a total deal breaker for me. Once you go past 60Hz there is no going back. Plus the Dell has 20ms of input lag it's just not gonna feel as responsive.

I think you will be fine. I would consider getting a non-21:9 monitor, though. G-SINK is a gimmic either way. Backlight strobing is what you should look for.

i'll never buy another monitor without some form of variable refresh rate. if you're set on upgrading to a 21:9 display i'll second MistaSparkul's suggestion; go with the Acer X34 gysnc monitor.

I've posted about this several times, so you could e-stalk (across multiple forums) me if you want more input

short story - I had 2 (or 3, sort of) g-sync setups; 4k g-sync, rog swift surround, and one rog swift while the other two sold

I have 3 titans (original) and g-sync has made me appreciate the smoothness of turning on v-sync; something I've long forgotten about because of the old mantra of "it adds input lag" - because I would constantly watch my GPU's downclock from boredom once they hit the 60hz/fps cap with g-sync

I'm now on the phillips 40" 4K and happy enough with this to wait out the insane market rush/craze/hype of more g-sync 60hz+ bigger than 1440p monitors (if I even jump to them honestly)

Going back to 60Hz without adaptive sync is bad. But at 144Hz I didn't even notice it.

i'll never buy another monitor without some form of variable refresh rate. if you're set on upgrading to a 21:9 display i'll second MistaSparkul's suggestion; go with the Acer X34 gysnc monitor.

That's dumb. Variable refresh rates are a gimmic. Look for backlight strobing, not SINKs in the monitor.

That's dumb. Variable refresh rates are a gimmic. Look for backlight strobing, not SINKs in the monitor.

that's dumb. backlight strobing is a gimmick. look for variable refresh rate, not BROKEN BACKLIGHT FLICKER in the monitor.

your black and white stance on gsync vs ULMB is asinine. both serve their purpose.

Lol so what do you do about the vast majority of RTS, Japanese pc games, e-sports, and f2p games where the engine is tied to a framerate? Variable refresh is worthless in that case and has to be turned off for competitive play. And we're talking about the majority of the most-played games on the market.

Lol so what do you do about the vast majority of RTS, Japanese pc games, e-sports, and f2p games where the engine is tied to a framerate? Variable refresh is worthless in that case and has to be turned off for competitive play. And we're talking about the majority of the most-played games on the market.

That's funny. I don't play any of those types of games, so why would I care?

They serve two entirely different purposes....

GSYNC fixes problems with tearing, ULMB fixes problems with motion.

I'm gonna stick with my swift and wait for the new 34" curved swift coming out next year. Thanks for input everyone!

I went back. Sometimes it is noticeable, but not so much on large (TV size) displays. 60 Hz 4K at <32", it is certainly an eye-sore.

Because you just told me that variable refresh rate is worthless (telling me what I should care about).

Great argument.

No, I did not say it was worthless. I said it was worthless for the most played gaming genres. Did you just say my argument was great and then use part of a quote out of context? Nice.

The marketplace decides the worth, it's basic capitalism. All you've stated is you are a special needs cupcake and so you spend more money than other people for a niche feature that doesn't work on the most played games. Good for you!

Last edited:
I went back. Sometimes it is noticeable, but not so much on large (TV size) displays. 60 Hz 4K at <32", it is certainly an eye-sore.

I went back as well (from a Swift to a 60 Hz Glossy IPS 1440p screen). I have been playing older or less demanding games with v-sync or framecap on and it has been fine. If I was playing anything newer / more demanding it would be more noticeable to me as I have been one to notice screen tearing in the past. The glossy IPS is a plus though :).

They serve two entirely different purposes....

GSYNC fixes problems with tearing, ULMB fixes problems with motion.

Yep, and you can't use both at the same time. Motion clarity always should always take priority over removing tears.

that's dumb. backlight strobing is a gimmick. look for variable refresh rate, not BROKEN BACKLIGHT FLICKER in the monitor.

your black and white stance on gsync vs ULMB is asinine. both serve their purpose.

Yes, i totally agree!

well, who from [H] play these games?

i have 450+ games in my steam account, this might be a problem on less than 5% of those titles..

and..well, you could have a tablet for that, IF, that is something you somehow crave..

That's dumb, backlight strobing are a gimmic, look for Gsync/Freesync, not STRIBES in the monitor:rolleyes:

Man I love it when people make an exaggerated point! How is variable refresh any different from people who play these games on their shitty ass Best Buy rigs that can never ever ever ever ever ever ever get a constant 60 FPS anyways?

Do you have a list or a website that states the "vast majority" of these games suffer when used with variable refresh rate monitors?

Anyways, the "give-a-shit" meter is still at zero after the anti g-sync crowd came through. If someone else had their "give-a-shit" meter elevate between the comments from DAI and rabidz7 then I am glad you were enlightened by this thread that has clearly gone in the shitter. Glad the OP got his question answered at least :D

Back