Has anyone used Small Business Server 2011 Essentials?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
It sounds like it would be well-suited to a home file server/backup, as it does full backup of client systems. It sounds like it does some of what WHS does, but is meant for a business market.

I think at one time SBS was able to do WHS-like drive pooling. I haven't seen any info, but can SBS 2011 do that?

I am just curious how well it works. Right now I have Server 2008 running with a virtual WHS for backups, but it's not really optimal as backups aren't really backed up. I have the clients doing a SyncToy backup, but it's not as reliable as I would like. I thought SBS could replace the pair working together, and would remove some complications and maybe be a little more dependable.

I just picked up a new client thats getting an entire new office setup and got this OS for his server, will post back when its installed and used a bit, its going on a Dell T310, 8gb ram, Xeon 3430, 300gb SAS in raid 1

(5 Workstations will be OptiPlex 380, 8gb ram, quadro fx1800, c2d 2.93, Win7 pro x64, 250gb sata)

Definitely let me know, I am very interested to see how this works. I think you can download a trial, so I might do that to play with it.

I'm installing it as we speak on my home server. I've tried 3 times to install it and it would error after booting into Windows and starting the tools and other setup. It wouldn't install the nic drivers so it'd ask to install them and give me a chance to and then tell me to restart the computer so it could restart the setup phase. Once it rebooted it would freeze or crap out. I reinstalled 3 times all with the same problem. On the fourth time I quickly opened device manager as soon as it got to the desktop and installed the NIC drivers before the setupo could start completely and it saw there was a nic and went forward right off the bat. Seems like it needs the nic drivers to install properly and the option to add a nic in the setup buggers it up.

It simplifies the Active Directory greatly.

It does not require any CALs.

I need to get this going in test looks cool especially paired with hosted exchange maybe

And screens would be great

The Remote Web Access is nice, it'd be a nice feature for SMBs as well as the ability to RDP into any computer in the domain through the website. Setting up SSL was easy as well.

I have a client with SBS 2011 Standard, I like it as well. The POP3 connector is a nice touch. It can pull your mail from a pop3 account into your Exchange Mailbox. The folder redirection works stupid easy as well. I'm very happy with Essentials and Standard. I'll see what I can do about screenshots.

mine gets delivered today, but the server isnt here till the 8th

Is the remote web access the same as SBS 2011 Standard?

WHS 2011 and both versions of SBS 2011 share the same Web UI. SBS Essentials just doesn't have the "Check Mail" or "Internal Web Site" elements that SBS Standard has. (Exchange and Sharepoint).

Personally, I run SBS 2011 Standard on my server with WHS 2011 in VM for backups. Not every machine on my network supports domains. It's been running 6 months or so and working well.

Exchange has been remarkably hands off. The hardest part was setting up the SSL certificate with GoDaddy for the Https connection. I have two internet domains sending e-mail to my server and the POP3 service pulling mail from my ISP provided address. It all works pretty damn well.

Back