Has anyone tried Threadripper 3 and Windows 7 ?

Jandor

Gawd
X399+TR1 works great : you need to stay on a BIOS not compatible with TR2 and put PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 2.0.
One has to install general chipset dirvers from AMD+find drivers for audio and other stuff from the motherboard (not a big deal- need to go on the chip manufacturer).
Windows 7 is then faster than Windows 10.
For some reason BIOS compatible with TR2 introduce some incompatibility with Windows 7.
Now TRX40 is a new plateform and TR 3 needs to be tested.
The interesting part would also be to see if the 16 core limitation exists on Windows 7 pro as on Windows 10 all versions until update 1903.
All Ryzen families on AM4 except APUs work flaulessly on Windows 7 better than on Windows 10. The Zen2 chips need a little trick tweak to have the CPU USB3 working but then, it is working without any problem,

Keep in mind Windows 7 is end of life Jan 2020. Where do you see a 16 core limitation on Windows 10? I was running dual 10 cores for total of 20 cores 40 threads on Win 7 Ultimate and then Win 10 Enterprise just fine.

Keep in mind Windows 7 is end of life Jan 2020. Where do you see a 16 core limitation on Windows 10? I was running dual 10 cores for total of 20 cores 40 threads on Win 7 Ultimate and then Win 10 Enterprise just fine.
It's not end of life at all but end of security updates and past that there are ways to still get them.
Interesting, that double 10 cores. Not sure how that goes. Windows 10 had a limitation on 1 CPU with more than 10/16 cores per app. It is believed that there is on old bug in Windows kernel that doesn't manage more than 16 cores per CPU until 1903 update. But there are ways, with extra software to wake up those cores with some tools and scripts. Normally Windows announced 256 cores max for Windows 7 pro/enterprise/Ultimate, and the same for Windows 10 Pro. Now, this seems not to be true in practice on W10 (any). The bug has also been replicated on a VM over Linux (that works on more than 16 cores without a problem).
Have you checked core activity on a CPU rendering needing more than 32 threads on W7? This would be interesting since that may mean that W7 has no such limitation as W10 up to 1903 update.

Last edited:
X399+TR1 works great : you need to stay on a BIOS not compatible with TR2 and put PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 2.0.
One has to install general chipset dirvers from AMD+find drivers for audio and other stuff from the motherboard (not a big deal- need to go on the chip manufacturer).
Windows 7 is then faster than Windows 10.
For some reason BIOS compatible with TR2 introduce some incompatibility with Windows 7.
Now TRX40 is a new plateform and TR 3 needs to be tested.
The interesting part would also be to see if the 16 core limitation exists on Windows 7 pro as on Windows 10 all versions until update 1903.
All Ryzen families on AM4 except APUs work flaulessly on Windows 7 better than on Windows 10. The Zen2 chips need a little trick tweak to have the CPU USB3 working but then, it is working without any problem,
Jandor, are there any news regarding tr3 and win7 compatibilty?

I have my 3960x on Gigabyte TRX40 Designaire working with a dual boot with OSX/Win10. Win7 wouldn't install wouldn't see any drives to install so I would say Win 7 doesn't work unless someone has a work around.

Coz win10 is a data mining & collecting platform, with insane amount of vulnerabilities, just look to bulletin statistics. Next os after final decline of Win7 will be Linux, for sure.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Has anyone successfully found a work around for W7?

I built a machine with a 3960X, the program we built the computer for needs windows 7, I installed windows 10 thinking that I could select windows 7 in the properties but this proved unsuccessful. I am now trying to install W7, but after installing files I get an old school BSOD: The bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant. Replacing the program with a newer version is not an option, as we would be looking at $60k... Any Suggestions are appreciated.

Should I maybe try removing W10 and try installing W7 from scratch?

Lopoetve, thanks for the fast reply! I am not familiar with what you are talking about. I only know enough to get myself into trouble, as evidenced by my current situation... This will be a professional workstation computer, if that answers anything.

would I boot the computer in W10 and then install virtual box? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Yep. It would let you build a windows 7 VM inside of windows 10, assuming your software doesn’t mind. The critical question- what software requires windows 7 ? What is it doing?

Thanks guys, I'm going to try the virtual machine, the program is IE3D, we use it in a special way to simulate our circuitboard designs for RF. We design antennas. The designer at our company tried to put in a bunch of patches to get it working in 10, but he just can't figure it out...

Any recomendations on which VM to use? from what i have read virtualbox allows for use of up to 32 cores, I haven't found any info on if the VM will allow GPU usage.

Well, that's a hard program to find any details on. You could try running it with the default "software" GPU that the virtualization software comes with, but lord knows if that'll work.

I'm a fan of VMware, but that's because I have history with that company - you might have to build a different system instead :(

As a curiosity I gave Windows 7 Pro (the licensed version I had on hand) a shot on 3960X / Asus Strix system using a SATA SSD as the install target. I got BSOD on first reboot twice. i tried enabling every “compatibility” setting I could find in BIOS and tried again but no luck. No further troubleshooting due to lack of time. But yeah, not much success here either.

As a curiosity I gave Windows 7 Pro (the licensed version I had on hand) a shot on 3960X / Asus Strix system using a SATA SSD as the install target. I got BSOD on first reboot twice. i tried enabling every “compatibility” setting I could find in BIOS and tried again but no luck. No further troubleshooting due to lack of time. But yeah, not much success here either.

Even if you could have gotten it to limp along, you'd be throwing a huge amount of performance away by using the archaic scheduler.

Ok, then why's this thread exist if you are implying that blender is faster on a threadripper 3 under windows 7?
Because there is no confirmation of stable work of Tr3 gen. Tr1/2 works perfectly.
And i would like to get confirmation or nah from real user of tr3.

Process lasso, park control and coreprio help to squeeze a bit more of performance juice.

Downgrade of Bios to first revision should help. Will be very thankful if you find time to experiment.

Because there is no confirmation of stable work of Tr3 gen. Tr1/2 works perfectly.
And i would like to get confirmation or nah from real user of tr3.

Process lasso, park control and coreprio help to squeeze a bit more of performance juice.

The next time you spout crap like 10% faster, you best make sure it even works which it doesn't. And it doesn't work because AMD will not support it, so any work around is gimped to begin with, thus the stating 10% is freaking ridiculous. :rolleyes:

The next time you spout crap like 10% faster, you best make sure it even works which it doesn't. And it doesn't work because AMD will not support it, so any work around is gimped to begin with, thus the stating 10% is freaking ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Mummy bought you a 'puter on Christmas?

I am real user of 1950x and doing renders in Blender under Win7 x64. So it looks like you wrote a paragraph of crap, but not me.

Last edited:
Downgrade of Bios to first revision should help. Will be very thankful if you find time to experiment.

This is a frequently used working system I don’t want to break, so while I was willing to try a different OS via a spare boot disk, I don’t want to risk unnecessary BIOS updates... particularly so going backwards.

This is a frequently used working system I don’t want to break, so while I was willing to try a different OS via a spare boot disk, I don’t want to risk unnecessary BIOS updates... particularly so going backwards.

I can't force you, just informed about possibility. I've downgraded my Asrock x399m bios from v3.30 to 1.10 to make things rollin'.

Well Guys, I was not able to get the TR3 up and running on windows 7 and the VM solution did not work because I wasn't able to use the GPU.

I am now looking at building a seperate machine to run windows 7 and using this one as a workstation for solidworks (definitely overkill). Any recommendations for MOBO & CPU for windows 7? I am looking for a high core count and clock speeds. Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe you need to find an X470 board that has PS2 ports (keyboard/mouse), and drop a 3950 in it. But you won't have any USB at all without an add-in card, so I'm not sure how well that will work for you. Alternative is a Zen1 based threadripper and some fiddling.

It's time to bite the bullet; Win7 is dead.

I am now looking at building a seperate machine to run windows 7 and using this one as a workstation for solidworks (definitely overkill). Any recommendations for MOBO & CPU for windows 7? I am looking for a high core count and clock speeds. Thanks.

Don't listen, it's not dead.

X570 + ryzen 3950 [16cores]: ok check

https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-S...B-Controllers-of-new-AMD-Chipset-Systems.html

X399m + tr2 [32 cores]: ok check
confirmed by hw & winraid forum members

There is some evidence on winraid forum that it maybe possible to boot trx40 + tr3 with specific mobo. But news is not confirmed.

I am running asrock taichi x399m + 1950x.
Planning to upgrade to 2990wx. Be sure to put speedy memory because it's greatly influence on overall machine performance.

Don't listen, it's not dead.

X570 + ryzen 3950 [16cores]: ok check

https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-S...B-Controllers-of-new-AMD-Chipset-Systems.html

X399m + tr2 [32 cores]: ok check
confirmed by hw & winraid forum members

There is some evidence on winraid forum that it maybe possible to boot trx40 + tr3 with specific mobo. But news is not confirmed.

I am running asrock taichi x399m + 1950x.
Planning to upgrade to 2990wx. Be sure to put speedy memory because it's greatly influence on overall machine performance.
It’s dead. The OS is end of life.

If you need to run it now, you run it in a VM.

Have you tried installing Win7 on a separate platform that's compatible then moving the drive to the TR3 setup? I know it's not ideal but it just may load up fine. It works fine doing that on my X570 and 3800X where the install was from an X79 board lol.

Have you tried installing Win7 on a separate platform that's compatible then moving the drive to the TR3 setup? I know it's not ideal but it just may load up fine. It works fine doing that on my X570 and 3800X where the install was from an X79 board lol.

Good idea!
However x570 can be installed normally with hand-made distro.
As for Tr3.. crave to hear results of real owners.

Ps Just switched to hacked ESU & it looks like everything is working.

Just got done tying this, It did not work. I booted up and showed the windows 7 boot screen to give me false hope, then it flashed the BSOD and then tried to reboot.

Good idea!
However x570 can be installed normally with hand-made distro.
As for Tr3.. crave to hear results of real owners.

Ps Just switched to hacked ESU & it looks like everything is working.

Are you saying you were able to get a TR3 working with W7?

Just got done tying this, It did not work. I booted up and showed the windows 7 boot screen to give me false hope, then it flashed the BSOD and then tried to reboot.
Are you saying you were able to get a TR3 working with W7?

Thanks for your efforts!
People on Win-raid forums confirming that it is not possible with "commonly sold" mobos:
https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-S...-of-new-AMD-Chipset-Systems-17.html#msg123920

i don't know what phrase "commonly sold" means.

So itl looks like 2990wx is fastest multicore choice for Win7x64.

Thanks for your efforts!
People on Win-raid forums confirming that it is not possible with "commonly sold" mobos:
https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-S...-of-new-AMD-Chipset-Systems-17.html#msg123920

i don't know what phrase "commonly sold" means.

So itl looks like 2990wx is fastest multicore choice for Win7x64.
Alright, so I built up a machine with a 2990WX and asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming Mobo. I updated the bios with the Win 7 64 version found on the Asus website. I am having trouble getting the USB ports to work, therefore not allowing me to go through the setup of windows 7.

I was able to get to the Win 7 setup screen, but just can't enter any information. I did some research and purchased the old PS2 style mouse and keyboard with a PCIE to PCI card, then I plugged in a PCI to PS2 card. When I boot the computer I am still unable to use the mouse and keyboard. Do you have any suggestions?

I also have an older computer running Windows 7 that I could use to load win 7 onto another SSD, would this be of any benefit or speed up the process? Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Also if there are any videos out there of someone setting this up it would be a huge help, the only video i found was But I am afraid to use the chipset and drivers he is using because I am not sure if they would be compatible. As I have said before, I know enough to get myself in trouble and have obviously bit off more than I can chew with the threadripper/Win 7 combo...

Back