Has anyone switched from Android to iPhone?

Just to clarify, AOSP does support tethering (both USB and WiFi) out of the box. Carriers then go out of their way to disable that functionality in their software and make you pay to unlock it. So apps like FoxFi are only necessary if you're running stock ROM. With AOSP-based ROMs, the built-in tethering is simpler and better.

Also, I'm pretty sure a phone like the Nexus 5 will allow you to tether for free using the stock ROM regardless of carrier.

Works on a AT&T Nexus 4 I have... Phone isn't on unlimited data plan though, so it doesn't do much for me.

Works on a AT&T Nexus 4 I have... Phone isn't on unlimited data plan though, so it doesn't do much for me.

I can confirm that tethering on my Nexus 4 (T-Mobile) was enabled out of the box. I am on an unlimited plan, but T-Mobile doesn't work anywhere.

Just found this funny as heck.

original.jpg

I personally wanted to try something different. I have owned G1, G2, MyTouch, MT4G, HTC Sensation, HTC One, HTC OneX, Galaxy S1, S2, S3, Note 2, and the Nexus.

Most have been rooted with many ROM's, then I got bored. The One and Note 2 stayed bone stock.

So far I like it a lot. There are some things I feel it does better in stock form then my previous Android phones.

2 things - no Swype and a 4" screen. I have gotten used to the screen, but 4.5" is my ideal. So far, I'll probably go to the next iPhone with a larger screen. No telling what after, as you can tell I'm never content.

I personally wanted to try something different. I have owned G1, G2, MyTouch, MT4G, HTC Sensation, HTC One, HTC OneX, Galaxy S1, S2, S3, Note 2, and the Nexus.

Most have been rooted with many ROM's, then I got bored. The One and Note 2 stayed bone stock.

So far I like it a lot. There are some things I feel it does better in stock form then my previous Android phones.

2 things - no Swype and a 4" screen. I have gotten used to the screen, but 4.5" is my ideal. So far, I'll probably go to the next iPhone with a larger screen. No telling what after, as you can tell I'm never content.

What do you have now? 5S?

As someone who owns an iPhone/Nexus 7, I actually use both on a daily basis... however, my iPhone is a worked issued phone and I ONLY use it as a phone... I text/email/take the odd pic/evernote... I could probably run a Blackberry and be happy... I use it as a phone. It's too small IMO to do anything else with it. The iPhone love is beyond me?!?

As far as a tablet, I've used both(my wife has an iPad)... and I "think" I like my Nexus 7 a bit more... regardless... I wouldn't buy an iPad for myself, as for certain I like the Nexus 7 every bit as much and it's half the price.

I use it as a phone. The iPhone love is beyond me?!?
When you use it as a phone how well does it work? Does it feel like a quality piece of hardware when you pick it up? The heft, the edges, the press of your finger against the glass screen? Just evaluating it as a phone and as a piece of metal, glass, and plastic?

For me I think it feels like a quality piece of hardware and it does what it says it will do in terms of operating as a phone. And that's all I want from it, or any phone for that matter, and so I "love" it. In the same way that blackberry users used to "love" their "crackberries"

that's all. there's nothing magical about it. I don't think it does anything that it doesn't do. I don't think it does anything first before any other device existed in the world. I just think it is a well designed tool that enables me to make phone calls and send text messages and check my emails. sometimes I play games on it.

the rest of the bullshit that gets spewed on these forums doesn't exist for me. and I've actually never witnessed it (at least when it comes to iPhones, certainly there is plenty of excitement among my friends when they get the latest android device and we all start tweaking the crap out of it) any kind of phone envy or bragging from other iPhone owners. they just pull it out of their pockets, make a phone call, and put it away.

When you use it as a phone how well does it work? Does it feel like a quality piece of hardware when you pick it up? The heft, the edges, the press of your finger against the glass screen? Just evaluating it as a phone and as a piece of metal, glass, and plastic?

It works VERY well as a portable computing device and definately feels like a quality piece of hardware. However... as a phone? Reception is horrible compared to my old BlackBerry World. So in it's basic function as "phone" it lags behind a handset that came out in 2008? I would say maybe 20% less coverage.

I will also say that since iOS 7, my love for iOS has went downhill... when looking at the beta's I was VERY excited...but after I installed it I found iOS7 a bit "thrown together" and slower than iOS6 was.... I am guessing by iOS8 we'll start to see some more gelling of core services.

Lastly... the keyboard is a tool of the devil. It is the SINGLE WORST element of my iPhone. I HATE it. I've been using the phone since the iPhone 5 came out last October, and I STILL think I could type faster on my old BB and I KNOW I can type faster with Swype or SwiftKey. iOS7 seems to be MORE aggressive when it comes to autocorrect. I've seen it change CORRECT words(words that were spelled correctly and in context) to INCORRECT words. How dumb is that?? :mad:

the rest of the bullshit that gets spewed on these forums doesn't exist for me. and I've actually never witnessed it (at least when it comes to iPhones, certainly there is plenty of excitement among my friends when they get the latest android device and we all start tweaking the crap out of it) any kind of phone envy or bragging from other iPhone owners. they just pull it out of their pockets, make a phone call, and put it away.

Unfortunately that is not my experience... about 50% of the people I know who own iPhones act as if their phones are gifts from God. And CONSISTENTLY tell everyone else that the phone they own is the ONLY phone to own/everything else is garbage/no phone can do what their phones can. So narrow-minded.

P.S. As for my gripes with my iPhone I am being VERY picky... the phone works exceptionally well overall. And I would nitpick my wife's iPad and my Nexus 7 just as badly given the chance! :D HOWEVER I must say I am VERY impressed with my Nexus 7(first gen) in the fact that it is actually FASTER with subsequent updates.... it works better now with Kitkat(and has more features) than when it was first released, yet works better. This is something unfortunately Apple seems to be incapable of. Each update makes your device slower and slower until it becomes unsuable...

Unfortunately that is not my experience... about 50% of the people I know who own iPhones act as if their phones are gifts from God. And CONSISTENTLY tell everyone else that the phone they own is the ONLY phone to own/everything else is garbage/no phone can do what their phones can. So narrow-minded.

P.S. As for my gripes with my iPhone I am being VERY picky... the phone works exceptionally well overall. And I would nitpick my wife's iPad and my Nexus 7 just as badly given the chance! :D HOWEVER I must say I am VERY impressed with my Nexus 7(first gen) in the fact that it is actually FASTER with subsequent updates.... it works better now with Kitkat(and has more features) than when it was first released, yet works better. This is something unfortunately Apple seems to be incapable of. Each update makes your device slower and slower until it becomes unsuable...

Think you get people in both camps these days, although they don't always exist in the same spaces (Android fans tend to make themselves known online, iOS seems to be more an in-person thing). I've noticed that Android's diehard fans are increasingly becoming the very thing they claim to hate -- that is, intolerant of choice and overly apologetic for problems with their platform. You do get the impression that some would genuinely like a total Google monopoly over technology... or at least, to wipe Apple off the map.

I regularly use both an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 5, and I honestly like coming back to iOS. The iPhone's screen could definitely be bigger (I suspect it will be by September), and you certainly lose some conveniences, but there's a refreshing straightforwardness to it. It's also best if you're the kind who obsesses over getting all the nice apps first, since they usually show up weeks or months earlier on iOS.

Funny, all the Android people I know are always talking about how terrible the iPhone is and they go through their normal talking points. "NO WIDGETS?!!?! NO KEYBOARDS?!?!?! WTF HOW DO U USE THAT?!?!" Widgets are neat, but not a deal breaker. I could take em or leave em. I think the iOS keyboard is quite good. I've tried all the aftermarket keyboards and while the predictive text is novel, I don't end up typing any faster on it. It's quicker just to type out my full thought without slowing down to look at the predictions, even if it is more key strokes.

Also here's a pet-peeve of mine, "no real multitasking." People who say this don't know what multitasking is. You know how on an iPhone you'll get an email notification while you're doing something else? Guess what, that's "real multitasking." iOS is built on top of Unix like OS X, and definitely does support multitasking. Some apps are allowed more or less privileges while they are running, but that doesn't make the multitasking any less real.

I develop for iOS and Android so I use both platforms a lot on a daily basis. I prefer iOS for the reasons already stated in this thread, I'm pretty busy and don't have time for tinkering. I've never been a fan of Android's design paradigm, I've always thought the up/back buttons were stupid, and the generally black design just doesn't appeal to me. Those are all personal preference items, of course.

Also the reason your Nexus 7 magically got faster with the update is because now Android finally supports TRIM, which was a huge issue. While nice, I wouldn't consider fixing a major issue a selling point in a comparison.

As an aside, iOS X.0 versions have always been comparatively buggy. 5.0? Buggy. 6.0? Buggy. 7.0? Buggy. I've been using 7.1 beta on my phone for a while now and it's quite a bit better, should be launching in the near future. If you do switch to an iPhone or try one out, wait for the 7.1 launch before making any final decisions.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3GS... has been rock solid since launch. I got bored and took over my wifes Samsung Infuse which was running Gingerbread (2.3?) when we upgraded her to an iPhone 5. I was majorly bored by the sluggish UI of the Android running the stock ROM. A day later I flashed it to a CyanogenMod 4.2 ROM. The phone became alive after I did this...excellent upgrade.

After a few months it started to become slow - probably due to the legacy hardware (~2-3 years old) and the apps requiring more resources. I'm now back to my 3GS which is still a rock solid phone. Unfortunately, apps are no longer updated and Apple doesn't provide software support any longer.

The bottom line - My iPhone has just worked. I use it for taking a quick note, online research and forums, pandora, maps, the occasional youtube video, email, and texting...that's it. No games, no twitter, no instagram or pintrest. The photos suck, so I keep those to a bare minimum (no flash and low res camera). As far as durability, I've dropped, bashed, and beatin' the damn thing and it just keeps ticking.

The Android was great to root and use as a portable hotspot. Access the terminal to ssh into a few remote boxes I have for troubleshooting. But this access came at the expense of gradual sluggishness, reduced battery life, and the infamous random restarts.

In the end, they each have their place. Currently, I don't have the time to continuously keep chasing ROMs and tinkering. I'd rather use that time for other, more important, tasks.

Funny, all the Android people I know are always talking about how terrible the iPhone is and they go through their normal talking points. "NO WIDGETS?!!?! NO KEYBOARDS?!?!?! WTF HOW DO U USE THAT?!?!" Widgets are neat, but not a deal breaker. I could take em or leave em. I think the iOS keyboard is quite good. I've tried all the aftermarket keyboards and while the predictive text is novel, I don't end up typing any faster on it. It's quicker just to type out my full thought without slowing down to look at the predictions, even if it is more key strokes.

Also here's a pet-peeve of mine, "no real multitasking." People who say this don't know what multitasking is. You know how on an iPhone you'll get an email notification while you're doing something else? Guess what, that's "real multitasking." iOS is built on top of Unix like OS X, and definitely does support multitasking. Some apps are allowed more or less privileges while they are running, but that doesn't make the multitasking any less real.

I develop for iOS and Android so I use both platforms a lot on a daily basis. I prefer iOS for the reasons already stated in this thread, I'm pretty busy and don't have time for tinkering. I've never been a fan of Android's design paradigm, I've always thought the up/back buttons were stupid, and the generally black design just doesn't appeal to me. Those are all personal preference items, of course.

Also the reason your Nexus 7 magically got faster with the update is because now Android finally supports TRIM, which was a huge issue. While nice, I wouldn't consider fixing a major issue a selling point in a comparison.

As an aside, iOS X.0 versions have always been comparatively buggy. 5.0? Buggy. 6.0? Buggy. 7.0? Buggy. I've been using 7.1 beta on my phone for a while now and it's quite a bit better, should be launching in the near future. If you do switch to an iPhone or try one out, wait for the 7.1 launch before making any final decisions.

1) I agree with the widget thing. I use them but there aren't deal breakers for sure.

2) I disagree with the keyboard thing. SwiftKey's predictive text swamps the stock ios keyboard.

3) I understand why apple limits the background processes of non stock apps,(it does make the phone faster and more responsive) but it would seriously be nice if we could choose which apps had the ability to run in the background without being paused. Evernote not updating unless opened or BBM not receiving messages properly because it's been paused in the background gets annoying.

4) Do you think Android users don't get notified of emails? You don't actually think iPhone is the only phone that does this do you?

5) You are incorrect. OSX is built on bsd and not Unix. Android on Linux.

6) The back button is one of the best things about Android actually. When I'm in one app and that app invokes another app, what a nice way to return to the source app. I suppose you think that double clicking your home button and tapping the source app is more efficient?

7) I do own an iPhone and have for over a year.

Back