Has anyone in here attempted to play a 4k x265 video file?

Pyrex238

Limp Gawd
I've recorded and played back several 4k videos without any issues. However, for some reason, I cant play x265 videos in WMP, VLC, or 5K video player. It almost seems like some sort of driver or hardware issue. Has anyone had any similar experiences or ideas?

Fixed it, bad codec installation apparently. k-lite codec pack uninstalled/fixed registry issues.

Last edited:
I've recorded and played back several 4k videos without any issues. However, for some reason, I cant play x265 videos in WMP, VLC, or 5K video player. It almost seems like some sort of driver or hardware issue. Has anyone had any similar experiences or ideas?

Fixed it, bad codec installation apparently. k-lite codec pack uninstalled/fixed registry issues.

Plays fine in vlc player, on a side note, I wish ___ent sites and the people who post would prioritize h.265 encodings of 720p/1080p content, it really does make everything a lot faster to download. Not that I've ever done such a thing.

Plays fine in vlc player, on a side note, I wish ___ent sites and the people who post would prioritize h.265 encodings of 720p/1080p content, it really does make everything a lot faster to download. Not that I've ever done such a thing.

The problem with that approach is that it'll force software decoding, which will alienate a lot of users, especially HTPC users.

But with next gen GPUs I'm sure h265 will pick up more users. Or whenever NVENC gets integrated into popular decoders like LAV.

i thought h.265 was still too "not so great" it wasn't worth the added over head to encode over h.264, it was still too.."not developed"

I also thought h.265 may almost be dead due to possible licensing issues?

The quality of the codec is FAR from up to snuff. It took x264 years before it became a solid competitor to more funded and established H.264 variants. It took a few more years later for x264 to become the best among all H.264 variant codecs on the market. Development has only really just started about a year ago, maybe approaching close to two now. The tests I've heard from people who are smarter than I on the encoding subject say it isn't nearly up to par with the claim of 50% size reduction at the same quality as x264. The bigger issue is the among of horsepower it requires to encode using the new codec. It's literally something along the lines of 4-16+ times longer depending on HD, 4K, or 8K with regards to the future.

It's only a matter of time before x265 becomes the dominate 4K codec by a wide margin if x264 is anything to reference.

I can tell you right now, an i7 6700k isn't enough CPU to software decode h.265 at 4k. My CPU was at 104% utilization (don't ask me, windows 10) and I was getting intermittent stutters and freezes. I had to download windows player classic, which uses GPU acceleration, and that lowered my cpu utilization to 40-50% and my GPU was at around 50%, and it played great (some audio sync issues at times, though). Just an FYI as far as performance with the current codec versions. My guess is it still needs some work. If you don't have hardware decoding, you're f'ed in 4k. Right now full length 4k movies are between 60-120GB in size in h.265.

After uninstalling/reinstalling the codec, WMP works but stutters. Media player classic works great, but VLC and 5K video both have tons of compression artifacts/problems/hangs. It's completely unwatchable. Does VLC have a separate codec library or something?

After uninstalling/reinstalling the codec, WMP works but stutters. Media player classic works great, but VLC and 5K video both have tons of compression artifacts/problems/hangs. It's completely unwatchable. Does VLC have a separate codec library or something?

Yes, VLC has it's own built-in codecs.

If you want to playback 4k in WMP, you'll have to use these instructions. I got them working earlier this year.:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041685121&postcount=10

Awesome, thanks! Now my WMP works. I figured it was trying to software decode.

I know LAV supports hybrid decoding of H265, so maybe try that? Should help with CPU usage.

Back