Has anyone had hands-on with 5G yet?

dvsman

2[H]4U
So my Note 8 (on AT&T) is starting to have charging issues, making me think of using my upgrade credit at work. While I could just go to a Note 9 or S10+ given how expensive the newer phones are, I'm thinking of just making the jump to a 5G compatible model to stave off obsolescence - even if it's for just a little while longer.

What are you guys going to do / done on your latest phone upgrades?

I'm waiting until T-Mobile has the network completely rolled out and when I can afford a new phone.

Don't get a 5G phone now. Wait a while. Its so limited and Radio's will get much better with new revisions. Plus your gonna pay a bigger premium on phones that 5G enabled...

I tried a friends, From what he told me , " 5g is alot faster, But it dont reach as far, Like if your in the city your good. But outside of that, its not. Because it needs more towers to keep the 5g signal "

I would think getting a 5G phone would facilitate a faster upgrade than stave one off for any longer than normal. Because first gen tech like that has always came with more pains than it's worth like considerably less battery life and poor reception or connectivity issues when on the fringe of coverage. But like Evijoker said above too; coverage is extremely limited even in areas that have it because it's a much higher frequency and each antenna barely reaches any further than a WiFi router does, so there has to be antennas for them basically on every street corner and then you still lose signal indoors because of very poor wall penetration due to its extremely short wavelength.

Unless you already live in an area with coverage or are slated to get it soon, I would go with an otherwise better phone for now and you may have 5G available by the time you're next upgrade is due.

I'm more interested in 5G Home than cellular. The quicker I can quit Comcast the better.

My AT&T phone said 5G e driving through a very small town in the foothills one day.

I chuckled. I'm on an iPhone.

My AT&T phone said 5G e driving through a very small town in the foothills one day.

I chuckled. I'm on an iPhone.
hpsa+ vs LTE as true 4g wireless. I chuckled when I first read what att was doing. I don't understand the benefits of 5g on a phone solid LTE is just fine. 5g is more suited for home, and IOT things etc...

They need to work on extending more LTE coverage everywhere. Give me sub 30 MS latency and a solid 15-30mbit/s up and down everywhere.... then they can move onto 5G....

I think it's more important to address the data cap issue before moving to higher speeds. Otherwise, the only point of higher speed is to get you to that cap faster.

Which, in corporate terms, is exactly what they want you to do.

As a consumer, I know where they can shove it.

I think it's more important to address the data cap issue before moving to higher speeds. Otherwise, the only point of higher speed is to get you to that cap faster.

Which, in corporate terms, is exactly what they want you to do.

As a consumer, I know where they can shove it.
Cell companies don't see data caps as a issue. How else they suppose to milk people with small caps.

I almost never see 4G in my area, so 5G is not even on my radar. Basically anything I wanna do on my phone that requires Internet I gotta use WiFi for. Still, when they can get 5G everywhere reliably, that will be very interesting indeeeeeed. If you don't got unlimited data though, the usefulness of 5G is going to be extremely limited. Still, the potential speeds are insane. My house has FiOS and I don't see above 110 Mbps. Beyond that just seems insane to me, especially for a cellular data network.

You know, honestly, I wouldn't mind paying per byte on data, if I didn't also have to pay a line charge for various speed tiers.

Seems like it should be one or the other. I understand neither is necessarily free, but charging for both just feels like double dipping to me.

I would rather have unlimited data, but it doesn't exactly give the telecoms any reason to increase your speed when they can't significantly upcharge for faster access. I pay more for my 12MB service (which only hits 6 on a good day) than a lot of people do for 1GB fiber. But if my plan were per byte - I bet the telecom would be out there trying to upgrade all the lines as fast as they could and encouraging me to watch all the 4K Netflix I could eat....

Back