Has anyone had any problems with the ST31000333AS drives?

Nocturnal

Gawd
These are the newer 1TB 7200.11 hard drives. I just ordered 3 and I realized only now that the entire 7200.11 line of drives have issues.

Anyone buy these yet? Any bad news?

I bought two of them a few days ago for an external dual-drive enclosure, and no problems yet. But then again that was just a few days ago! I'm still a little concerned because of the problems I've read about in the "7200.11 sucks" thread here.

I got my 3 drives yesterday. I installed one and it's been okay so far. Of course I'm not going to depend on it. I've already got two Western Digital Black 1TB drives on their way. They should be here tomorrow.

Yeah, let's not post that alarmist crap out around spreading FUD.
I can at least confirm this line is true, since that user was me (search my previous posts regarding putting the drives in a RAID 5 array using an Areca ARC-1222 card):

"One user in particular reports having set up a 6 TB drive array and over the course of 1 month having half the drives fail on him."

Bought 3

1 was DOA
2 was dead within 30 hrs
3 was clicking a lot

RMAd them all, went with WD Blacks, $10 more, also has a 5 yr warranty, and they work, unlike the 7200.11's lol

Sure, you can find 1-star reviews and "Brand X hard drives are expensive bricks" posts for anything, but the sheer number of complaints and 1-star reviews for the 7200.11 is far above and beyond what I've seen for any HD since the Deathstars. Yet at the same time, Seagate reduces their warranty to 3 years and their CEO steps down. What does that tell you?

Not very confidence-inspiring...and I need more storage. My main rig has an original Seagate 750GB that's been running 24x7 for 2 years now and it's been perfect...I was waiting for the enterprise version of the 1.5TB's... *sigh* I should've stocked up on ST3750640NS's.

I swore I'd never buy WD's again after I had 3 out of 4 Caviars fail within a year, even in an Antec case with a 120mm blowing across the drive cage.. And don't get me started on Maxtor, my refrigerator is covered in magnets if you know what I mean.

Are there ANY bulletproof TB+ drives on the market right now? :p

Seagate's warranty is down to 3 years now? What a bunch of BS.

I had been a Seagate user for approximately the last 10 years, and I have three computers still running 80GB Seagates that must be about 6 years old, and they're still going strong. That track record inspired me to spend about $850 (at the time) on six 1TB Seagate drives, only to have 2 out of 3 fail on me in 3 months, and a third one looking flaky. I just bought another 1TB drive to place in my Popcorn Hour, and I decided to go with a WD Caviar Black. First non-Seagate drive purchase in 10 years...

Amazon still carries NIB original Barracuda ES enterprise-rated 750GB, model ST3750640NS. They cost about double what a regular 750GB drive costs, but given my track record with hard drives I purchase for reliability above all else.

What are the chances that those drives are really one of the newer, low-quality 750GB models that are relabeled with the older model number? I'm seriously tempted to buy them, or perhaps a couple of the consumer-grade -AS models which are competitively priced with the new 750GB drives.

Seagate's warranty is down to 3 years now? What a bunch of BS.

I had been a Seagate user for approximately the last 10 years, and I have three computers still running 80GB Seagates that must be about 6 years old, and they're still going strong. That track record inspired me to spend about $850 (at the time) on six 1TB Seagate drives, only to have 2 out of 3 fail on me in 3 months, and a third one looking flaky. I just bought another 1TB drive to place in my Popcorn Hour, and I decided to go with a WD Caviar Black. First non-Seagate drive purchase in 10 years...

Me too... have a seagate 80gb that's worked for 6 years, and just bought my first non-seagate drive. Doesn't mean I won't go back... I'll just wait and see what's best next up. Brand loyalty will kill you.

new firmware for the ST31000333AS is out. I haven't tested it and don't plan on doing so until I see positive results of people upgrading from SD35 to the new SD1B firmware. Maybe, I'll give it a couple of weeks.

I have 2. Both have been working fine for about a month now. One is being used as an external, one internal. Im hoping I can flash it in the USB external enclosure, but I doubt it will work.

Ill prolly update the firmware in the next day or two before anything actually happens.

I have the CC1A or CCxx firmware on mine. According to the Seagate site, my drive does not need a new firmware for it. Hopefully they'll be okay.

Back