Has ANYONE gotten a good XFX 7970?

cobaltdog

Limp Gawd
after going through 2 cards in a couple weeks and seeing what i'm seeing on the forums here at least its got me wondering. has anyone gotten a good (non artifacting and overheating) XFX 7970 video cards? im guessing the non gigahertz edition were ok but the new ones seem to be having some problems. granted im just going off a quick google search and mostley the stuff im seeing on the forums here.

I've had XFX Core edition since launch and no problems at all. Champ of an overclocker too!

My two are good, except the cooling solution is terrible and too hot to OC any higher than 1150mhz. The VRMs would push 110c+. Change for the Arctic Coolers and they are as good as gold!

have you had any issues with artifacts while playing. usually about a hour into gaming. but temp do show any abnormalities. i hear that there good to about 85 to 95c mine stays around 78c under load.

I've got two of the reference cooler XFX black editions which came clocked at 1ghz before the regular 1ghz cards. Run then at 1100/1550 without any issues

Hello, This is XFX Customer and Tech support standing by. If you have any questions about your card, an RMA, or about recent issues/concerns, just PM me and I will be happy to assist you.

xfx 7970 double dissipation black edition here (1ghz core, 1.425ghz mem). Been running fine for about 8 months now.

I am a long time XFX user with only good things...until now.

Just updated from a xfx 5850 black edition to a xfx 7970 double dissipation black edition
Win 7 64bit, x58 mobo, I7 930 oc'd to 4.0, 16 gigs ram and xfx 5850 BE, Thermaltake 850 psu for years with no problems or issues at all...

Put in my 7970 - getting black screens, Driver Stopped responding errors, and artifacting in any game I try to play. My case heat all seems to be inline...running a single monitor but I have been quickly alt-tabbing out and checking the temps but have not seen it get to 70 yet.

Any fixes? Ideas?

Last edited:
I am a long time XFX user with only good things...until now.

Just updated from a xfx 5850 black edition to a xfx 7970 double dissipation black edition
Win 7 64bit, x58 mobo, I7 930 oc'd to 4.0, 16 gigs ram and xfx 5850 BE, Thermaltake 850 psu for years with no problems or issues at all...

Put in my 7970 - getting black screens, Driver Stopped responding errors, and artifacting in any game I try to play. My case heat all seems to be inline...running a single monitor but I have been quickly alt-tabbing out and checking the temps but have not seen it get to 70 yet.

Any fixes? Ideas?

Did you OC it at all? Or is this all stock? What driver?

Underclock the core and memory and see if the artifacts go away. If not, there still may be some latent driver pieces left or your card really sucks.

underclocked it to the reference card 925 core and 1375 memory with the AMD engine control center still got the artifacts. its getting worse to now it happened immediately on launch (new tomb raider) I have tried both the 13.1 drivers and the 13.2 betas. no difference between the 2 drivers i use cCleaner instead of driver sweeper. mainly since the motherboard is a AMD as well and last time i used driver sweeper i got rid of my mainboard drivers too. didnt hurt anything just had to reinstall them again. which was a pita.

p.s. a xfx rep contacted me here and on another thread about helping get the problem straghtend out so i will keep ya all posted on how that turns out.

XFX 7970 BE owner here since January 2012. I run it with a modest overclock of 1150/1500 while gaming, 1230/1600 for benches. Stock volts while gaming and I push it to 1.25v while benchmarking. No artifacts and it doesn't go over 75C@ 50% fan.

I have no issues with the card at all.

Once I see any brand for $300 I'm gonna get another one since I recently moved to 3x 27" for Eyefinity.

I sent mine back and got a sapphire. OMG, so happy I did. the sapphire not only runs at stock speeds, it also overclocks like a mother.

I was just about to pull the plug on the Black Edition to replace my 580,I am so happy I didn't..

if you have a vertical case, i dont reccomend getting a asus 79xx.. the cooler pulls it off the GPU. trying to fix mine as we speak

Have two 7970s BE since release (Jan/Feb 2012). I had to RMA one but they've been running like champs ever since. I've had months where I've never turned them off.

I have 2 7950 Double D BE and they run like champs.

Yes I know not a 7970.

But I was having some odd issues and BSODs and I resolved alot of them.

Updated Mobo Bios.
Latest 13.X drivers
Did NOT install the included HDMI driver that comes with CCC. Windows 7 automatically installs one and I was getting a BSOD from the driver conflict.

I game on 3 monitors and F@H with my XFX cards, alot. It has been smooth sailing since I corrected it. Chances are its an odd driver issue.

7970 BE DD here. Besides a bit of coil whine in more intense games, no issues. Haven't had much luck with overclocking at stock voltage, nor have I changed the BIOS to GHz edition (50MHz boost? Big whoop) but it runs like a champ otherwise.

Just a quick update, got my card back. And its working without issues now. Much thanks to the xfx rep monitoring these forums.

Back