Has anyone ever used the $100,000 guarantee on surge protectors?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings all!

I have a $400 piece of equipment that is out of warranty and has apparently been fried by a recent storm of lightning (surges). It was connected to an APC surge suppressor power strip.

Has anyone ever used the $10xxxxx guarantee that are advertised on surge suppressors?? How did your experience go? Were you successful in getting reimbursed/equipment replaced?

Greetings all!

I have a $400 piece of equipment that is out of warranty and has apparently been fried by a recent storm of lightning (surges). It was connected to an APC surge suppressor power strip.

Has anyone ever used the $10xxxxx guarantee that are advertised on surge suppressors?? How did your experience go? Were you successful in getting reimbursed/equipment replaced?

I haven't been involved for years, but I've had a lot of past customers who used APC and Tripplite's warranty. As long as you can provide them with the damaged surge suppressor, they were usually pretty good about the warranty. They will check the device out and confirm that a surge got through first. Then they're only going to provide a prorated cost for the equipment, so if it's pretty old already, you might not get much. It may take a couple weeks to get everything processed.

I've had a few pieces get fried from APC surge protectors. Everytime I've had to send in the surge protector and a receipt of the equipment it fried.

One of my surge protectors was past its rated time, that one was a year I think. Essentially if its past the rated time they won't refund you, if the surge protection still reads "good" then they will partially refund you. That's my understanding anyways, the surge protector that was past its rated time they refused my refund as apparently the indicator used to indicate surge protection was already off.

But my refunds only took a few weeks to get refunded, they sent me a check too.

I started a claim but never finished it. the only damaged item was a $40 D-Link switch, but they did send me a new BackUPS 1300 to replace the RS-1200.
The 1200 was a replacement for an old 5 year old BackUPS Pro 1000 that a friend gave me, and APC sent me the 1200 when I was inquiring about how to test the unit before buying new batteries.
Old batteries were swollen inside and the UPS would power on then power off immediately with or without the batteries installed.
After having such good experiences with APC's customer service, they will always be my first choice in power products.

I started a claim but never finished it. the only damaged item was a $40 D-Link switch, but they did send me a new BackUPS 1300 to replace the RS-1200.
The 1200 was a replacement for an old 5 year old BackUPS Pro 1000 that a friend gave me, and APC sent me the 1200 when I was inquiring about how to test the unit before buying new batteries.
Old batteries were swollen inside and the UPS would power on then power off immediately with or without the batteries installed.
After having such good experiences with APC's customer service, they will always be my first choice in power products.

Uggghhh. I had the opposite end of the spectrum experience with APC in regards to their warranty.

We purchased a brand new APC 2200VA unit for our server room. After the first time we had a power loss, one of the outlets on it completely died.

Then we got it replaced under warranty and the replacement was faulty when we got it. One of the rails would not power back up automatically if the power went out.

Got it replaced and that one had a bad/really noisy fan in it.

Finally the 3rd replacement was fully functional and has not given us any problems yet.

Turned me off from them just because they can't even get a working replacement unit out after 2 tries and of course the paperwork that came with them said they were tested and fully working.

I had a Belkin UPS and it went tits up and fried my Seasonic PSU along with it. Belkin replaced the UPS and sent me a check for the cost of the power supply without question. No power surge was involved but Belkin stood behind their product. This was almost a decade ago. :p

Back