Has anyone ever mounted a computer naked on top of their car?

Has anyone ever mounted a computer naked on top of their car?

The only holes I can think of that aren't all jagged metal or whirling fan blades are the ones where the water cooling pipes go into the case, but those aren't anywhere near big enough to mount. At least for me, maybe you're really small? And trying to do that on top of a car is definitely going to get you sent to jail for indecent exposure, if you don't fall off and die while you're doing it.

You will not get less than ambient temps.

The only holes I can think of that aren't all jagged metal or whirling fan blades are the ones where the water cooling pipes go into the case, but those aren't anywhere near big enough to mount. At least for me, maybe you're really small? And trying to do that on top of a car is definitely going to get you sent to jail for indecent exposure, if you don't fall off and die while you're doing it.

You Sir, won the internet.

Make sure you laminate everything to protect it from the rain.

I stuck an 80mm fan out the window on the freeway once. Spun so fast the blades broke off and cut my hand.

I've been playing with the idea of mounting a bare naked system on top of the car using http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2521 to see what kind of temperatures one would get going at 60mph on the highway. :D

fullretard.jpg

Am I the only one who understood the thread title as being some kind of nudist endeavor?

I'm actually somewhat upset I didn't find any pictures of exhibitionist PC gamers in a parking lot building computers together.

Let me know if you figure out how to attach your rig to a car. We can then hang it underneath my airplane and we test It a 360mph.

Let me know if you figure out how to attach your rig to a car. We can then hang it underneath my airplane and we test It a 360mph.
AN ALTERNATIVE TO PELTIER, DRY ICE, PHASE CHANGE, AND LIQUID NITROGEN :D :D

fly high!

At this point in time, it should be very possible to 3D print a chassis for this. The way the chassis should be designed to aerodynamically allow air to bypass the benchstation except for CPU heatsink and video card. By design, it should also allow for setting up support for the CPU heatsink and GPU card to prevent them from ripping right off. The idea is that air intake would be directly into the heatsinks with no air restrictions, and the rest of the circuitry would be protected. Exhaust is easy -- can probably just be open air. :D

You could just mount a couple 480mm radiators on your roof and call it cool. ;)

you wouldn't need it mounted on the car, just an air scoop and tubing.

This can be done easily with minimal extra work if using, benchmarking, and reviewing Gigabyte Brix computers :D

Back