Has anyone ever damaged their motherboard by changing settings/hardware too often?

Enhanced Interrogator

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been changing memory settings, moving DIMMS around, and clearing CMOS a lot. Suddenly, it's getting hard to get my computer to boot after adding/removing DIMMS when before all I had to do was clear CMOS and I'd be fine. I haven't been able to get it to boot with more than two for a while even though I'm clearing CMOS.

Reasons I'm messing with RAM so much explained here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800084

Last edited:
Only if it suffered heat damage or a bent contact, over 10 years ago.
Be sure that dirt/dust hasnt got into any socket and inspect them for damage.
Carefully clean the contacts on the memory sticks.
Blow a fan at the system and see if things improve.

I have had strange problems when my CMOS battery was low on power.

Get everything out of the motherboard put in the essentials like the cpu ram and the gpu that's it, if it has a built in gpu even better, do a battery cmos clear along with an electricity clear, which is disconnecting the power supply and hitting the power button couple of times, try to leave it off for 10 mins so it really resets and try to power on then.

Ok, didn't hit the power button at all, I'll try that. The BIOS settings definitely reset each time, though.

This resetting CMOS has never really made sense to me though. Because the actual settings in the menu end up being the same. Does the BIOS change some invisible setting whenever new hardware is installed or something?

The CMOS can corrupt and because it is battery backed memory, it doesnt get wiped when you turn off.
When having issues that wont go away, its worth seeing if a CMOS reset helps.

Back