Has anyone ever configured a 7940 to work with SIP?

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently was given a 7940 Cisco IP phone. The person who gave it to me said it was bricked but recoverable, and would require a TFTP server to do so.

I can set that up on my nix box, no problem.

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process.

According to this page http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml it's possible, just requires a little legwork, which I'm cool with. Have any of you done this?

I want to have an additional line in the house for my wife to use, other than her cell - and figured SIP was a pretty decent, cheap option for that (something she could have between our kitchen/living room so she could be on the phone while folding laundry or making dinner. The speakerphone on the 7940 is pretty good in my experience, so I think it would do well in that regard.

Thanks!

The hardest part is getting the SIP firmware. You need a TAC account to get it unless you can find it somewhere on the internet. Flashing the firmware is cake.

I had my 7960 flashed for sip for a while. Pretty much the same process and firmware, but like Chiggy said you need to somehow get the sip firmware. There are instructions that came with the firmware on how to re-flash it. I know there is something in there because I had to flash the phones from SIP back to SCCP

In my experience, SIP kind of sucks with Cisco. Lots of bugs and what not. Why not stick to Skinny?

SCCP>SIP

He likely can't use sccp due to not having a call manager :( some homegrown setup

I have a few 7940's with the SIP firmware that I use with Elastix (currently). I'd have to agree with the general consensus that the SIP firmware seems like an afterthought. I have to finagle the configuration to get it to register correctly.

eh, sounds like it's not worth my time. I will probably sell/trade it then.

Thanks guys!

If you want a good voip phone, take a look at snom's 300 series. Damn fine phones, no matter how you slice 'em.

Failing that, get yourself a Cisco 1700 or 2600XM series router that you can install Cisco CME onto (you can get them cheap and with CME preinstalled from ebay). I've recently set one up at home with an FXO port for taking my PSTN line -> VOIP, allowing me to push the line to my office etc.

Rather than buying more hardware to learn to set up and keep running all the time. I'd just sell/trade the phone for something that speaks SIP properly. I use Polycom Soundpoint IP phones. They're nice.

Also Siemens A580IP is really cheap for a cordless SIP phone. Not the greatest phone ever, but it works well enough and there's nothing comparable on the market.

You could do an AIM-CUE or NM-CUE, but they're crazy expensive. I run CME at home with no voicemail.

I've done plenty of 79xx Sip changeovers. Mainly for Asterisk environments. I've even got some in a 3CX environment w/o issue.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

All you need to know/download is here. Just take it slow and read. It's all there, just a bit convoluted until you get the hang of the config files.
Having gone through the same kind of migrations, this is why I recommend snoms. The config file is not only easy to get the hang of, it's delivered over HTTP/HTTPS. Which is light years better than tftp for it's versatility and security.

Back