Has anyone compared FreeBSD ZFS vs ZFS on Linux?

Solaris/sh.
Storage and network sharing performance, beadm .
If it's just a zfs based NAS, I can't see a reason to go away from Solaris for home and Omnios/OI for commercial .
Hardware setup needs attention but there is a plenty of options.

ooo perfect timing for me as I'm looking to decommission my old ZFS server and was looking at ZOL stuff since it's caught up to ZFS on FreeBSD.
I'm curious as to what people use to manage their ZFS. All command line? any web front ends? I'm looking at a new storage server for backups

When running on Proxmox, ZFS was handled by the system with an LXC container passing smb shares. A lot of reading and testing were done since it is very reliant on CLI.

Now just I just run ESXi with FreeNAS virtualized.

I also run 4 mirrored vdevs so performance is fantastic.

I've moved to CentOS. The 3.10 kernel is worrying (it's from 2013!), but ZFS is up to date. Doing the RHCSA, so I'm finding it useful; I intend to throw some KVM VMs up there to play with as well.

So far have Plex and Nextcloud running great, and yeah, setup is all command line.

[OpenMediaVault proved pretty well lacking; it's not nearly as featured as FreeBSD with respect to ZFS administration, and I had issues running both local and remote desktop environments, while CentOS is fluid]

Back