HARX700 just died -- need replacement

jbz7890

Gawd
I used the HARX700 headphones for two years and was pretty impressed with them. My only real complaints were that they were a bit too tight and a bit too hot. My budget is around $50, so I'm considering the HARX700s again. I'm also looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M30. Does anyone have any recommendations for headphones in this price range (for gaming)? I am a little flexible on my budget if spending a little more will allow me to get headphones of much higher quality. Thanks!

Here is a few other other choices.
Samson RH600
Superlux 668B
Samson SR850

I think some of them would be better for gaming than the ATH-M30's. The ath m-30's are a good headphone, don't get me wrong.

Another one that is pretty popular is the Fostex T50RP. There are a few mods you can do to these that make them sound even better. They are slightly above your budget at around $75

The Creative Aurvana Live is $75. Would that be significantly better than any of the headphones you guys suggested? Any better headphones in the ~$75 price range? Thanks.

there's nothing else to consider other than the samson SR850's in that price range. They are AWESOME.

I also use HARX700's, AD700's, dt770 pro's all right here next to me.

CAL!s are a good choice for $75 if you want a slight upgrade but still want something that's closed back. They aren't twice as good but they're not overpriced by any means either, that's how it goes with audio gear. I don't think they're built as sturdy as the RX700 tho. Latest version of the AT ATH-M50 might be another closed option that's more neutral (than the CAL) but it's at least another $25-50 and it's not necessarily as big an upgrade either. Their price has been creeping up for a while.

The Samson and Superlux mentioned above are a good alternative if you wanna try something different. They're substantially less bass heavy (not boomy at all like the JVC) and open, with a much wider sound stage... Particularly good for online gaming, for music it depends what you're listening to (and which way your personal taste sways). They won't get as hot as any of the closed headphones either so if you don't need the isolation of closed headphones it's definitely worth trying 'em out. Not the most comfortable pads stock but they 're easy to mod.

Last edited:
there's nothing else to consider other than the samson SR850's in that price range. They are AWESOME.

I also use HARX700's, AD700's, dt770 pro's all right here next to me.

I'm definitely interested in the SR850s, but how do they fit compared to the HARX700s (which I found a bit too tight)?

you must have a big head because the harx700 are very comfy for me, samsons are not uncomfortable by any means for long usage but harx700 are a looser fit somewhat.

I found a really good deal on the CALs on BF, so I picked them up. However, I find them too tight, especially around the ears -- much worse than my HARX700s

I'm very tempted to just order the HARX700 again, but I am itching to upgrade. Also, I'm interested in trying open headphones since they apparently don't get as hot during long usage. Between the HD668B and SR850, are there any real differences other than the headband and cables? The HD668B looks like it might be more comfortable, but the SR850 seems to be more highly regarded.

I say just to get another pair of harx700's i still love mine. Another to think about in that price range are the razer orcas. Yes i was a bit skeptical at first but they are very good and super comfortable.

The harx 900 will give you a larger sound stage and more bass. So they are an upgrade imo.

I am a pretty big dude with a 7 3/4 hat size and found the SR850s tight at first but not too bad and then later they were fine. Plus, they are super lightweight and good for long sessions.

If you want a different sound I'd say try the Superlux or Samson, if you're happy with the RX700 there's nothing wrong with grabbing them again tho. The CAL are a slight upgrade but build quality is questionable, you'd have to spend over $100 for any big jump in quality from closed cans IMO.

I'm still using my RX700 in the living room for late night TV. My M-80 were a nice upgrade in most senses but the only reason I spent $150 on them was for the combination of portability/durability + quality, wouldn't be worth that for home use only (not compared to some of the open headphones in that range anyway).

If you need closed cans for isolation but still want a different or more neutral sound the HM5 and it's clones are worth a look, you can find them close to $50 during sales.

Ok, so I ordered the HARX900s and have used them for a few hours. They are much more comfortable than the CALs and sound great, but I'm getting some interference problems. For instance, there's a very subtle humming noise in the background at all times, and when I perform certain actions (such as waiting for a webpage to load or scrolling through a page), the humming intensifies. All the other headphones I tried on my computer don't have this problem.

Does it sound like my headphones are defective? I'm using onboard audio with the headphones connected to the back panel jacks. Also, the humming is the same regardless of my computer's volume (even if it's on mute).

Well it could possibly be that the headphones are a fair bit more sensitive and are picking up rouge sound present in the on board.

Well it could possibly be that the headphones are a fair bit more sensitive and are picking up rouge sound present in the on board.

Yup. That is exactly the case. A good pair of headphones will reveal the flaws in the rest of the chain. What you are hearing is literally the noise coming from your pc. A simple soundcard like the xonar dgx, dsx or a usb dac amp like the fiio will solve that issue and improve the overall sound quite a bit too.

Yup. That is exactly the case. A good pair of headphones will reveal the flaws in the rest of the chain. What you are hearing is literally the noise coming from your pc. A simple soundcard like the xonar dgx, dsx or a usb dac amp like the fiio will solve that issue and improve the overall sound quite a bit too.

I tested the HARX900s on my laptop and had the same interference problems, and I don't think I can (nor want to) upgrade my laptop's sound card in addition to my desktop's. So I'm now deciding between trying the SR850 or just getting the HARX700 again. I found the HARX900s to be extremely comfortable -- even more so than the 700s (which were pretty comfortable themselves). How do the SR850s compare to the 900s in this regard (I'm skeptical of the 850's self-adjusting headband)? Also, if I had an interference problem with the 900s, am I likely to have one with the SR850s?

The 850s are probably more revealing than the 900s. Aka you will have more of an issue not less. Standard laptops outputs suck. Usually b/c so much is crammed in there that it ends up being really noisy. EMI issues.

The 850s are probably more revealing than the 900s. Aka you will have more of an issue not less. Standard laptops outputs suck. Usually b/c so much is crammed in there that it ends up being really noisy. EMI issues.

I'm curious why the CALs didn't have the interference issue. I'd like to try the SR850 simply because they are so highly regarded here and because I think semi-open headphones are cooler on my ears. I'm assuming you've tried on both the HARX900 and SR850. How would they compare in comfort? How does the self-adjusting headband work -- is it rubbery or does it remember the shape of your head?

Certainly cooler than the 900. They stay in place. Once you set them to what you want they don't move from that setting without you moving them. Very comfortable imo. Except for the stock pads being pleather and sweaty. I ghetto modded mine lol.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1710592

Yeah, I noticed that the SR850 appear to use poor pads just from the pictures I've seen. I've never modded headphones, but I'm certainly interested in it. I've ordered the SR850s and am going to see how I like them and whether they have interference. If they don't have any noticeable interference, I'll probably keep them and return the HARX900s. If they do, I'll probably buy an Asus Xonar and keep whichever headphones I like better. Thanks for your help.

I tested the HARX900s on my laptop and had the same interference problems, and I don't think I can (nor want to) upgrade my laptop's sound card in addition to my desktop's. So I'm now deciding between trying the SR850 or just getting the HARX700 again. I found the HARX900s to be extremely comfortable -- even more so than the 700s (which were pretty comfortable themselves). How do the SR850s compare to the 900s in this regard (I'm skeptical of the 850's self-adjusting headband)? Also, if I had an interference problem with the 900s, am I likely to have one with the SR850s?

If you have a few bucks to spare laying around, try a small extension cable for your headphone plug. Could be a simple grounding issue.

If you have a few bucks to spare laying around, try a small extension cable for your headphone plug. Could be a simple grounding issue.

Yeah, I tried the extension cable that came with my CALs, but it didn't make a difference. I do still wonder if it's my particular headset that is causing problems because my HARX700s don't have this issue, and they seem to be very similar to the 900s.

I find the RX700 more comfortable but the warm ear effect is gonna plague any closed or semi closed headphone, replacement pads on the SR850 should go a long way. That interference issue you're having seems weird, I wouldn't think any of them (CAL & RX700/900) would differ enough in sensitivity as for only one to pick up on an issue like that. Maybe try to get it exchanged?

It's a possibility you got one with a bum plug.

Edit:

Sensitive headphones will make noise in the system more apparent, but these aren't that sensitive that you should have this problem across multiple computers. You could rule that out by trying it on a buddy's computer or even a phone/music player.

Well, I got the SR850s today, and I'm very impressed with them. They are quite comfortable, very lightweight, and cool on my ears. Also, I don't get any interference problems with them. This leads me to speculate that the cause of my HARX900's interference problems is its relatively high impedance. Every other headphone I tried had a lower impedance and didn't have the problem.

I'm still not set on the SR850 vs HARX700. While the SR850s are comfortable, the HARX700s have them beat by a mile. The 700s seem to have a higher build quality, and from my experience, they are very durable (which is important because I travel a lot). I'm no audiophile (at least not yet), but from what I can tell, I think I prefer the SR850's sound. It's much less boomy and sounds more natural (but perhaps less "fun" if that makes sense).

That's pretty much how an audiophile would describe the difference in sound signature... ;) Which one you actually prefer really comes down to personal taste and what you're actually using them for, some of us would just keep both for that very reason. :cool: I agree with you on the matter of comfort, even if the RX700 get stuffy after a bit (as any closed headphone would).

I still think your RX900 are just defective or something tho, an impedance difference of 48 ohm (RX700) vs 64 ohm (RX900) is pretty insignificant, high impedance headphones that a sound card or motherboard would struggle with would be in the 250-600 ohm range. Even 80 ohm would probably be fine off any source...

I'm amazed that you actually pack the RX700 when you travel btw. :p

I once thought about taking my RX700s somewhere, Then I tried to bundle the up and carry them... I didn't take them.

Even my Beyers are smaller than those JVC... I actually expected the Beyers to be much bigger when I ordered them sight unseen, I guess my RX700 had skewed my whole perspective of what big headphones were really like, figured they were all just as huge. :p

That headband design just demands some space to really work well.

The SR850 are way tougher than they feel. trust me. I have taken apart, dropped, rolled over the wire with my chair and generally abused mine and they still work great.The neutral sound is better for gaming bc you can hear more of the details. It is more of an audiophile headphone than the 700. The 900 had to be defective in some way.

Back