Harmony+PS3 owners rejoice

I'll pay attention when there's a Bluetooth-enabled universal remote.

I dunno, I'd rather have an adapter like this that can be reused with any harmony I buy in the future. One of the best things about the harmony is how easy it is to upgrade to a new one, since all your settings are saved. It would be silly to put bluetooth into every remote as a standard feature and make everyone pay more for something that a small percentage will ever use. If anything you'd get one high end model that cost significantly more than the one without bluetooth.

Does that one turn it on and off?

No. But since I use the PS3 for a majority of BluRay dudties I have to walk over to in and insert the disk anyways so its not a deal breaker for me. I would hope we get a bucktooth remote from harmony so we dont need adapters.

facepalm @ everyone in this thread.

Damn what is everyone going crazy about. The PS3 wireless game controller works just fine as a "blu ray" or "media center" remote any ways. :cool:

facepalm @ everyone in this thread.

Damn what is everyone going crazy about. The PS3 wireless game controller works just fine as a "blu ray" or "media center" remote any ways. :cool:
You need the IR support if you've got your universal remote set up to turn everything on using macros. Makes it way easier for "normal" people to use a serious home theater. You'd know that if you read the damn thread.

facepalm @ PS3

But you will need your ps3 controller to play games any ways :p.........it's not like a universal remote will replace the game controller...I don't care, pay for stuff you don't need, lol.

But you will need your ps3 controller to play games any ways :p.........it's not like a universal remote will replace the game controller...I don't care, pay for stuff you don't need, lol.

It's more for movies. Your PS3 is off, you press one button on the harmony remote and the PS3, TV, Receiver all turn on and switch to the correct inputs automatically. Well they will if you have this adapter at least.

As you said, you don't need it... but others do.

If I want to watch a blu-ray or dvd I don't won't to break out my controller, I want to use the remote I paid 250 bucks for, one of the reasons you buy a nice remote is for the macros.

You obviously don't have a girlfriend that watches blu-rays thru the PS3

You need the IR support if you've got your universal remote set up to turn everything on using macros. Makes it way easier for "normal" people to use a serious home theater. You'd know that if you read the damn thread.

facepalm @ PS3

'Normal' people as in retarded people basically.

Why would I ever expect the average person to know, or want to know, which TV input, receiver input, and set of power buttons to press to get a particular source in my home theater working? Why would I want to waste my own time trying to remember and carry out these operations when I could just have my remote do it for me?

If there's someone with mental deficiencies, it's not the guys who are setting up their high-end home theaters with Harmony remotes. I'd say it's the idiots criticizing situations that they don't understand. You don't care. Fine, we get it. Try to expand your mental horizons to at least TRY to understand.

Why would I ever expect the average person to know, or want to know, which TV input, receiver input, and set of power buttons to press to get a particular source in my home theater working? Why would I want to waste my own time trying to remember and carry out these operations when I could just have my remote do it for me?

If there's someone with mental deficiencies, it's not the guys who are setting up their high-end home theaters with Harmony remotes. I'd say it's the idiots criticizing situations that they don't understand. You don't care. Fine, we get it. Try to expand your mental horizons to at least TRY to understand.

This for the win.

prays that in the future a touchscreen psp2 has ir/wireless/bluetooth/3g and has the ultimate universal remote control software, now that would be good!! well i can imagine lol!!

prays that in the future a touchscreen psp2 has ir/wireless/bluetooth/3g and has the ultimate universal remote control software, now that would be good!! well i can imagine lol!!

And it will tickle your balls.......I hope anyway:p

Not helping..
TH

Last edited by a moderator:

Well it's a stretch...I mean I wouldn't let an issue such as not being able to use a universal remote stop me from buying a ps3. With a PS3 you can already get rid of the stand alone blu-ray player, stand alone dvd player, and even the htpc. So three less things to need a remote for any way.

Removed quoted post...TH

Your missing the point, if home theater is your hobby and you've spent a shit load of money on it, you want it to be seamless. The remote completes the package, I walk in to mine and hit 360, Satellite, Media Server on my screen of my Harmony and everything comes on and it's ready to go. I can hit my PS3 tab and everything comes on, but the PS3.

And it keeps my wife, mother-in-law, etc. from fiddling with my shit, if they have to use my room they walk in, push the button and boom their done and I go to sleep in peace knowing my wife didn't touch my 700 dollar Onkyo amp with her freshly painted finger nails.;)

Last edited:

This is one of the dumbest comments I've seen in a very long time. I guess everyone who has ever used your home theater is a tech junkie with intricate knowledge of your setup...or you just have 1-2 devices plugged into a tv. Do you even have an a/v receiver?

Sony has apparently decided that they hate IR in the gaming context - the PSP had IR, but they promptly removed it for the PSP-2000 (aka, PSP Slim). What's weird is that they actually added IR in the PS2 Slim not too long before that. Go figure.

Anyways, the problem with using the PSP as a remote is that you generally want to leave your remote at the HT system for people to use, and that might not be where you want to leave your PSP - especially if you're using it as a media and game player on the go, like it was intended.

I also kinda disagree that the PS3 replaces the DVD player or whatever - some people will insist on Oppos, changers, and the like. We actually play most of our DVDs on the 360 because of the HD-DVD drive - don't have to swap out the game disc as often, and the DVD can be left in for future viewing (very handy with TV on DVD).

Well it's a stretch...I mean I wouldn't let an issue such as not being able to use a universal remote stop me from buying a ps3. With a PS3 you can already get rid of the stand alone blu-ray player, stand alone dvd player, and even the htpc. So three less things to need a remote for any way.

For me I got the universal remote so I did not have to have 4/5 remotes around all of the time. I would have had one each for the TV, AMP, VCR, XBOX360, PS3 and Cable Box. Of course some of them can "learn" the other functions but at the end of the day I still needed to keep them around. I hate to have to fumble with 3/4 remotes just to watch one movie, then swtich over to live TV, then back to play a game, ect Sadly I did not buy the PS3 for games but for its BluRay as it was the best blu-ray player back then....

Back