Harmon Kardon AVR 325 issue

zackboll

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this. I am having a issue with my HK AVR 325 amp. When I plug it in to wall right side up with the four legs touching the ground, the amp will not turn on. When I flip it upside down, and push the power saftey toggle in, the standby light comes on and the amp works.

I figure something is shorting it out, like the weight of the components, or maybe tin solder was used or something and a whisker has grown. Has anyone here had a similar issue occur with their amp. I am considering taking my amp apart and looking for where it could be shorting out, I have contacted HK but I don't think it would still be under warranty. Does anyone have any suspects where the sort could be occuring. I think it may be one of the top boards coming down and touching one of the lower boards, then goes away when I flip the case upside down.

Thanks,
Zack

sounds like you're on the right track. I would look first at the panel mounted power connectors/switches, since those would be the most prone to fail.

If I was trouble shooting my own headphone amps, I'd probably plug it straight into DC (wall wart), but I guess that would be hard(er) to do on that amp, you'd have to root around the board a bit and find where your dc is coming from.

Back