Harley-Davidson Made An Electric Motorcycle

Page works for me. Looks like the first Harley Davidson that isn't made for a fat man with a huge beard.

I don't mind the looks, but curious about performance. They aren't Tesla made batteries are they?

My dad, who drives a Harley-Davidson, is actually kinda pissed about this. For me though, I'm happy Harley is looking to the future.

Does it come with built in mp3 and huge speakers to simulate Harley sound ?

vote fail

I just don't care for the look.
It looks like its trying to look like a Harley but not BE a Harley.
It may as well look like a Buell as far as I'm concerned.

I don't mind the looks, but curious about performance. They aren't Tesla made batteries are they?

Why? Tesla batteries use off the shelf miniature (think AA size) cells. They're no different than anyone else, besides layout.

Wonder what the range is on the bike, maybe a 100 miles? Thank god though, tired of having a loud-ass bikes from Harley.

With a 53 Mile Range, and 3.5 hour recharge time, you will grow a long beard trying to make a cross country trip though, and how long does the battery last at night with the lights in use?

Think Harley should have manufacturered them under another name, like Toyota did with Nission, or was it Datsun, when they first imported to America, so they could have plajusible denial, it it didn't work out?

First an engine made by Porsche and now an electric... makes sense considering a lot of Harley owners are dentists and doctors now.

An electric Harley, but then how will all the douchenozzles riding them around public spaces annoy people with modified exhausts?

Want something looking similar but not electric and with a V2 engine? The Ducati Diavel.

Color_Diavel-Carbon_Red_01_1067x600.jpg

Isn't someone just by the very act of driving a 50-60 mpg vehicle vs a 15-24 mpg vehicle being green? Why the need for an electric motorcycle?

Isn't someone just by the very act of driving a 50-60 mpg vehicle vs a 15-24 mpg vehicle being green? Why the need for an electric motorcycle?

Greener still (especially if your pulling from renewable sources)? Also petroleum isn't going to be around forever, when it's starts to run low consumer use will be the first thing to go.

I hope that shrill whine isn't what they're planning on bringing to market. Though I suppose you could always stream the sound of a real exhaust through your phone.

With a range of 53 miles it's basically a commutemobile, though it seems significant overkill for a commutemobile. I wouldn't mind having a short range electric bike for driving to work but I don't need to spend that much money on a property I'm trying to use to save money.

Why the need for an electric motorcycle?

From what I understand, it's California laws that are pushing this. To be able to keep selling bikes in CA, they're eventually going to have to have an electric option in their lineup.

noone will buy this cause half the reason bikers ride is to be obnoxiously loud as fuck..

Yes, it's faster than that rich-running lawnmower engine'd Harley you have in the garage. Yes, you look like less of a total douche riding it. No it won't wake the entire neighborhood up at 3 in the morning because you set the idle so low that you have to rev it so it doesn't stall out.

All in all, for the reasons mentioned, I can't see any actual Harley enthusiasts buying in.

Great so the company which decided to get a trademark for the sound their annoying as hell bikes make and sue anyone who uses that "iconic" sound wants to make a silent electric bike.

Ok in fairness calling the bikes annoying was a bit rude, it's the people who feel the need to rev them up while driving up a residential street are annoying as hell.

Haw that sound is awesome, its almost the exact same sound Kirk's hoverbike makes in the first Star Trek reboot movie when he drove up to see the Enterprise being built

53 miles is actually a bit farther than a panhead can go between major services.

With a 53 Mile Range, and 3.5 hour recharge time, you will grow a long beard trying to make a cross country trip though, and how long does the battery last at night with the lights in use?

Think Harley should have manufacturered them under another name, like Toyota did with Nission, or was it Datsun, when they first imported to America, so they could have plajusible denial, it it didn't work out?

It was Nissan. Up till I think 1978 or 79 is when they used the Datsun name. After that it was all Nissan.

Bleh.. it was wartime... a plane engine running off nitrous is still awesome.

In any case, The old Datsun cars are still pretty sweet. The 240-280z hugs corners like nobodies business. They get pretty good gas mileage for a "sports" car. My 76 280z 2+2 got 27mpg and that was city/hwy combined. Highest I ever got was 29.3mpg going from FL to AZ.

That was at speeds of 75+ mph.

And if you had the factory aerodynamic add-ons, you could get even better gas mileage.

Just super fun to drive cars all around.

noone will buy this cause half the reason bikers ride is to be obnoxiously loud as fuck..

I used to have a helmet that had stickers that said "loud pipes save lives".

Quiet bikes are annoying.

But their sole purpose is not to be loud for the sake of being loud.

You think your nice car with it's super quiet exhaust is so cool? What if I told you that if you got rid of the muffler or at least replaced it with something with way less restriction than a stock muffler and most of all the emissions equipment and put a custom tunable ECU in it, you could have more power and better fuel mileage?

Greener still (especially if your pulling from renewable sources)? Also petroleum isn't going to be around forever, when it's starts to run low consumer use will be the first thing to go.

Even if "fossil fuel" is not self replenishing, there is still a few hundred years worth.

If you think that all of a sudden it will run low with nothing in place to take over, you are sorely mistaken.

The vehicle manufacturers will have a viable replacement a lot sooner than that would ever happen.

There sure are a whole lot of butt hurt people in this thread who can't afford a Harley.

That is amazing. I wish ALL choppers would just stop working right fucking now. So fucking loud.

No thanks, Harley has gone down in quality big time, I'd never buy one of their new bikes. If I'm going to get an electric bike I'm going with a Zero. I test drove one and the torque is insane.

I'm more of a Triumph guy but wow, it looks and sounds great!

I'd buy one if it were a good price. I hope they continue to expand upon this idea and make consumer models in the future.

Even if "fossil fuel" is not self replenishing, there is still a few hundred years worth.

If you think that all of a sudden it will run low with nothing in place to take over, you are sorely mistaken.

The vehicle manufacturers will have a viable replacement a lot sooner than that would ever happen.

I don't believe it will immediately vanish, that just silly. But making the investment in developing this technology now is important so that we can easily transition without impacting the way of life or industries that depend on it. Sooner it's out there and a viable replacement the better for all sorts of valid reasons, personally I'd like Fiji to still be a country within the next century.

What if I told you that if you got rid of the muffler or at least replaced it with something with way less restriction than a stock muffler and most of all the emissions equipment and put a custom tunable ECU in it, you could have more power and better fuel mileage?

I'd say "well duh". Unfortunately, you couldn't meet emissions requirements, as you'd be pumping them straight out into the atmosphere.

The whole idea isn't just "better gas mileage". It's "More complete burn of fuel so emissions are lower".

I cant stand guys who ride Harleys. Ive only meet a handful that aren't complete dicks. Most think that Harleys are godsend's and Should be the only motorcycle made.

53 miles is plenty. The bar is only 2 miles away.

Seriously though, I actually applaud Harley for doing this, even if it does look eerily similar to the Buell Lightning in my garage. I like their bikes though I do not like the "lifestyle" they try to sell, so I would never buy one. I will stick to Japanese bikes. Harley has made great strides in quality. For the most part, their reputation as unreliable came from the 50's and 60's when ALL bikes were unreliable, and when they were owned by AMF in the 70's and 80's and everything they made was garbage.

Harley "purists" (lifestylers) can bitch and moan all they want about the V-rod and Street 500 and 750, but you can't ride around on two wheeled tractors with springer forks forever. You have to innovate at some point.

Back