Hardwire Power to Macbook.

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay I'm sure this sounds kind of weird, but I'm looking for a way to hardwire power to my Santa Rosa Macbook.
I've gone through enough Magsafes to the point that I'm over spending $80 on it.

I have the topcase off the Macbook and it appears that the Magsafe harness is just that a harness. I'm wondering if there is a way to connect the +/- from the charge cord to the +/- of the Magsafe harness? My only concern is the center "control" wire... Anyone ever do this, or know someone who has done this that could offer some advice?

Also sorry if what Im trying to accomplish is not clear, just ask questions. lol

The magsafe connector on the cord is gone. I'm hoping on soldering on a standard barrel connecter, and doing the same to the harness coming from the motherboard.

Honestly, Im over buying Magsafes. It seems no matter what, they break at either the brick or at the magsafe connector.

I just want to be able to buy a standard 60watt power adapter and be done with it. lol

I'm also wondering this. I've owned two MBPs with Magsafe connectors, pretty much everyone I know has a Mac notebook, and I haven't heard of anyone breaking them. The whole point is that they pop out if the cord is unexpectedly pulled, so how are they getting broken?

intersting. i think you would want to solder the power leads into the harness and not the magsafe plug on the outside of the case.

Not sure where you could get a good response to this....it's kind of a "frankentosh" kind of project.

Look online, it seems to be a pretty common occurrence with the Magsafes. The wires pull loose from the solder points either at the brick or at the actual magsafe connector it self. I've had both happen to me twice.

My Macbook is in prestine condition, and the chargers all look brand new minus the frayed wires. IDK, it may just be my luck.

The plan was the solder the wires to the harness. My problem right now is the center wire, which is a control wire that allows power to flow through. I'm not sure how to bypass this control wire. lol

Well I can say that I've never had an issue with a Magsafe myself, nor has my girlfriend, but my friend with an MBP has gone through like 3, no idea how you guys seem to rip them apart, I've been through 5 mac laptops since late 2006 and never had any issue with them at all, but my friend always has them pulling out of the sheathing on the power brick, and he'd just bring it in and they'd replace it for him, although he's out of warranty now so I doubt they'd still do it.

I really have no idea how you and him and other people are breaking them, I really do not, it seems he pulls his super tightly when wrapping it around the flaps on the brick, but that's totally his fault, lots of cables would give under that.. I wrap mine around there too, never an issue, I must just pay attention not to tug that base too tightly.

I have no clue how anyone could destroy a MagSafe connector or cord. You guys must be brutal to your laptops.

Back