Hardware Poll as of March 2010

Do you plan to upgrade to a Core I7 chip for gaming before the end of March?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went for it and bought an i7 about 5 months ago, haven't had a brand new system in probably 4 years (not counting my laptop). Hopefully it lasts for a long time, in the off chance I feel the need I can still get that 6 core!

I got an i5 750 a few weeks ago, not worth paying the extra to get an i7 for very little performance gain.

Voted

"I have a Quad Core AMD or Intel CPU and it is adequate for my gaming needs"

There is nothing much that the Q6600 can't handle.

Voted

My current rig is in my sig and have had it for about a month now and could not be happier with it. I went from a core2 intel to that which I am very happy with. My son adopted my old machine which is why I upgraded to start off with because his old machine was starting to show its age a bit to much.

Now I just need to save up and get me a 24" HD screen and I will be gtg.

Q6600 here and it's been probably the best CPU I've ever owned, I could clock it higher, but I don't want to put up with the extra heat & power usage. It still churns through rendering and the occasional photoshop and and the end of the day still keeps my 5850 fed for gaming.

I'm going to wait until the next batch of processors as I'm perfectly content with what I currently have.

'nother i5 guy here. Though the Phenom 2 x3, Core 2 duo and Athlon 2 x3 work great with the games we play!

I went from q6600 @ 3.2 to an I3 at 4.2ghz and am extremely pleased. It didn't cost me anything after selling old mobo/cpu/ram. Next in line is a 5850 and whenever the itch drop in an I7 860 or of course trade out for next gen sandy, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Q9550 @ 3.6 is working fine. Next generation I may upgrade my main box.

This, same speed and everything. The 9550 handles everything I can throw at it. May upgrade the secondary rig since my new flatmate games on that one and that is a 6750 at 3.2 with an 8800gts 512 in it.

How are you guys liking the i5 platform for gaming?

^ You will mostly find praise on all of these new chips. Clock for clock averages about a 25% increase, inter-core latency is reduced significantly, add on the additional throughput from an overall average higher overclock, and the hyper threads on some of these then the difference becomes awe inspiring. There is also the advantage of DDR3's higher memory bandwidth if you aren't using that already of course.

I was able to make my Q6600 choke on certain things that even this I3 cuts through like a razor blade on steriods.

Last edited:
^ You will mostly find praise on any and all of these new chips. Clock for clock averages about a 25% increase, inter-core latency is reduced significantly, add on the additional throughput from an overall average higher overclock, and the addition of the hyper threads on some of these then the difference becomes very great. There is also the advantage of DDR3's higher memory bandwidth if you aren't using that already of course.

I was able to make my Q6600 choke on certain things that even this I3 cuts through like a razor blade on steriods.

Well good to hear. Will probably go ransack Microcenter this weekend.

Just read through the [H] i5 review and it sounds perfect for what I need.

Just upgraded to an i7 and Radeon 5870 this weekend. Bad Company 2 needed the upgrade. Big improvement over an e6400 and 8800 GTS. 4x AA is so much nicer than no AA.

Plus everything else is a bit more responsive in day-to-day use as well. Overall, worth the upgrade.

I have a Q9550 @ 3.6GHz w/ a 8800GT. It all my games fine, but I find myself spending more time with my PS3 than gaming on PC.

There should be an option for I'm getting the i7 soon :p.
I am, motherboard and RAM is on the way. Left getting the i7 930 and a SSD, and yes its all for gaming sake

I'm currently on 2.3Ghz dual core, so its going to be a huge jump for me

I play a fair amount of TF2 on a 32 man server and found that the jump to an OC'd i7 920 from an OC'd Q6600 made a decent improvement in frame rate. I game at 2560x1600.

Rig in sig, my next upgrade will probably be a DX11 card and Win7, which will probably be later this summer. Not planning on upgrading my CPU or anything else this year.

Been tossing around the idea about going the i7 930 route towards the end of May but don't know if it's really necessary; might just buy a couple SSDs instead.

Been tossing around the idea about going the i7 930 route towards the end of May but don't know if it's really necessary; might just buy a couple SSDs instead.

Yeah I think when the Videocard prices come down in late april-may I'm gonna trick out my system. I'll be moving to europe soon and I dont wanna pay the ungodly sums of money itll cost to upgrade there.

I waited long enough for the core 2 duos to fly past, stuck with my P4. Once those Core 2 Quads came abroad I was all over that. I'll have to wait the i7's out yet. Something better will come real soon

i went from a pentium 4 agp system to a i7 920/260gtx system last year january and i have never looked back. It has been the best investment i have ever made as i can still to this day, play all the latest games in high settings.

My cpu also never ever breaks sweat when gaming too. i love my pc. its been great and i probably wont do a system upgrade until the next gen intel cpu's come out ie i9's or whatever the next gen will be.

it is always worth buying new tech when it just comes out. makes your system last a very long time. i might buy a 5870 or 480 card though but other then that, my system is fast and stable

I voted quad core AMD/Intel but I actually have a Tricore. So far it handles BFBC2, and pretty much any recent games. Only problems I have involve video card drivers...

I have a q66 that i got at launch. it's sitting at 3.6ghz and I won't upgrade till 6 cores becomes affordable :)

My Q6600 is filling my needs and is still performing very well. Might play the OC game soon once I find time again next month.

Only upgraded last month, went from an e2140 @ 2.8 and a 4670 to a phenom2 955 @3.7 and a 4890, made a massive improvement, GTA4 is now playable.

Spent 105$ on the X3 720 and got a quad core running stable at 3.6GHz. Don't think an i7 would improve things much, a better GPU probably would

I couldn't care about upgrading past dualies until I see major improvement on threading, would rather run lesser hardware at its fullest than power wasted clocks, even if I get limited once in a while. this is something you don't have to guess about or rely on bench reviews for, just run an osd that shows core usage while you play.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/rivatuner/

Back