Hardware Firewall/Router + File Server?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to build myself a new server for my home network. The catch is I also want it to act as my router and as such a hardware firewall. I'm looking for fast/gigabit ethernet if possible. It'll need at least 4 ethernet ports (Internet In + hookups to 3 computers).

Anyone have any suggestions, both hardware and software-wise? This is just in planning stages and I want some opinions. I have a copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (32-bit, from MSDN ages ago), and if I can use that that would be excellent. However Linux is fine as well.

I'm looking to build myself a new server for my home network. The catch is I also want it to act as my router and as such a hardware firewall. I'm looking for fast/gigabit ethernet if possible. It'll need at least 4 ethernet ports (Internet In + hookups to 3 computers).

Anyone have any suggestions, both hardware and software-wise? This is just in planning stages and I want some opinions. I have a copy of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (32-bit, from MSDN ages ago), and if I can use that that would be excellent. However Linux is fine as well.

First, I would recommend that you have your firewall as a dedicated device for security purposes. Every service you have running on machine increases its attack surface. For a security device such as a firewall, you want that to be as small as possible.

Second, unless you have a current MSDN subscription, your license of Windows Server 2003 is no longer valid. Also, the licensing restrictions for MSDN doesn't allow you to run it in a production environment. Basically, the only people allowed to use MSDN software in any way are people who have current MSDN subscription.

Firstly, -never- put files and other critical info on a firewall if you can avoid it... even for home. Of all the machines in an environment that can be dual-purpose, a firewall should not be on that list.

That said, there are distros out there that are specifically designed for what you want to do... like ClarkConnect. Take a look.

If you heed my advice and go single-purpose for your router, grab a GX115 from Ebay for cheap (there are a bunch on there that look to be fairly decent for $35'ish) and a cheap NIC then load IPCop, Endian, Smoothwall, m0n0wall or pfSense on it and have fun.

There will be nothing critical on it; a game server or two at most, and random stuff like my Maya license server. That's why I want to integrate them together; saves having to use 2 seperate computers for no reason. I don't know really why I put "file server" in the topic title; all my files are on my main computer, which will be safely behind this.

Second, unless you have a current MSDN subscription, your license of Windows Server 2003 is no longer valid. Also, the licensing restrictions for MSDN doesn't allow you to run it in a production environment. Basically, the only people allowed to use MSDN software in any way are people who have current MSDN subscription.
By "if I can use it", I meant with the software/hardware recomended. Not "can I legally use it"...

Well, first off, if you do what you propose, you'll actually have a _software_ firewall and router. I guess that could be argued, but that's the way I see it.

You'll basically have a box with two NIC's (one for WAN,one for LAN), and then be running ICS on the WAN side card. ICS is a software based solution.

Like the other gent said, I also believe the firewall should be it's own device.

I've done what you propose. It DOES work. Your ability to manage it will be reduced, however.

Now, what I personally would recommend is this:

1. A high-quality router. The DLink DGL-4300 is a great choice. It's as good as you'll find in a consumer class router.

2. A nice little NAS box with a couple of drives in it. I use the QNAP TS-201.

You'll have it all covered, the router has gigabit, and a really good firewall you can actually control easily.

You'll have lower power consumption and no single-point-of-failure.

Second, unless you have a current MSDN subscription, your license of Windows Server 2003 is no longer valid.

According to MS, older software doesn't need a new subscription renewal. Although the terminology may be confusing, I think the intent is clear.

When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they still valid?
MSDN subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still use the products received with their MSDN subscription after their subscription has expired.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx

The key tests will be:

(1) If you need one, can you get a new license key online or otherwise? (Not online... get your keys ahead of time if you think you might want them.)
(2) Can you activate an installation online or otherwise. (I'm pretty sure you can, online, if you got a product key.)

Back