Hardware advices needed for a small server

jeece

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I'm looking into buiding a small server system (2nd computer), in order to access my files when at school, share files and maybe host a small web site. Nothing fancy or ultra-mega performant. Not much applications would run on it, the OS and maybe some software firewall. It will be my first experience in networking.

I want a quite small hardware system, since space is an issue. Probably I'll build a custom case. I already have some parts from my previous (dead) computer: 40Gb IDE Western Digital HD, Asus A7V133-C mb, 256mb PC133 Kingston RAM, original Duron heatsink/ARX fan, Radeon 7000 32Mb, LAN PCI card, L&C (ever heard of L&C??? :rolleyes: ) 350W PSU. I'd like to run Windows 2000 on the machine.

Here's the options I've looked at for now, all with the 40Gb HD, a micro-atx PSU and maybe a CD drive:

A- Start building from my a7v133 mobo (supports up to 1.3Ghz cpu). Buy a Duron or T-bird and install it. Most economical choice, but ATX board eats up much space. No onboard video nor LAN, so it has to have a graphic + LAn card, taking more place. Last resort system, but cheapest one too.

B- Dump the A7V133, LAN and Radeon. Use the money to help buy an A7N266-VM mobo (Micro-ATX), still with a Duron/T-bird, or an used Athlon XP + some RAM. Onboard graphics & LAN a biiiig advantage. Still, quite big, but manageable.

C- As above, but with a Mini-ITX board/CPU. Space-wise, the perfect solution for me, but a little bit more costy. Due to monetary constraints, I'd have to buy a low-end model... Would it be up to the task? (500-800mhz range)

D- Insert your mb/cpu suggestion here. It can be Intel/AMD, with new/used parts. Micro-ATX or smaller. Onboard LAN and Video a must.

My questions:
1-Is RAM an important issue when building a server? (remember I don't want a cutting edge machine, but not a "bare minimum requirements" one too.)
2-What about processor speed? (would a Duron 850 do about the same job as a 1.2Ghz?) I heard CPU cache is an important factor, server-wise, so a T-Bird would be a better idea.
3-Since I don't want a second monitor/keyboard/mouse for the server, could I plug 'em all on a kinda splitter/switchboard, so I could control both computers from the same devices? I'd prefer this solution to the "remote PC" software, so I could access the server's BIOS on boot, for example.
4-What would be the SAFE minimum PSU wattage I'd need?

Thanks all!

Originally posted by jeece
Hi all,

IA- Start building from my a7v133 mobo (supports up to 1.3Ghz cpu). Buy a Duron or T-bird and install it. Most economical choice, but ATX board eats up much space. No onboard video nor LAN, so it has to have a graphic + LAn card, taking more place. Last resort system, but cheapest one too.

This would work best imo....most of my servers are cobbled together from spare parts :D
My questions:
1-Is RAM an important issue when building a server? (remember I don't want a cutting edge machine, but not a "bare minimum requirements" one too.)
Yes, RAM is important, but only as important as decent speed disks/processor. you should b e fin with 256Mb

2-What about processor speed? (would a Duron 850 do about the same job as a 1.2Ghz?) I heard CPU cache is an important factor, server-wise, so a T-Bird would be a better idea.
My file server is a dual 200mhz pentium pro. my webserver is a single 200mghz pentium pro. My game servers are all dual 350Mhz pII boxes.

3-Since I don't want a second monitor/keyboard/mouse for the server, could I plug 'em all on a kinda splitter/switchboard, so I could control both computers from the same devices? I'd prefer this solution to the "remote PC" software, so I could access the server's BIOS on boot, for example.
look into a two port KVM switch. cheap on ebay.

4-What would be the SAFE minimum PSU wattage I'd need?
if you stick with the one drive and other stuff you said you ahve, 250 watt or more will be plenty.

Thanks a lot draconius. :cool: You got it covered all!

I'm still thinking/shopping for parts... I WANT a mini-ITX... my wallet DOESN'T.

Yeah....I guess I would recommend against a Mini ITX board for a file server and such, but I guess thats cuz I love large cases and boards :D

you can always use the board you have now and when you buy your ITX board, just pop your drive into the new mobo and w00. also, what case are you going to get with the mini-itx out of curiosity? I am lookin at buying an itx board ....but dunno if i should mod it into some other case or nto...

Originally posted by draconius
[...] also, what case are you going to get with the mini-itx out of curiosity? I am lookin at buying an itx board ....but dunno if i should mod it into some other case or nto... [/B]

I don't really know exactly yet, though I'm having some rough ideas... I have an 8.5x9x4 inches tin cookie box lying around... :D Seriously, I was looking for something really custom, though I may consider a "real" case... haven't shopped them yet.

If I choose to keep my ATX MB (or get a micro atx), I think I'll get a mobile CPU... since it would be crammed in a small case an dit generates less heat... BUT, mobile CPUs tend to have less cache, am I right?

Back