HardOCP vs. Infinium YAY

Kyle, I think a big question though... will the Infinium lawsuit affect judgement of other news that might come your way again? Will [H]ardOCP be a little hesitant on reporting news of similar "controversial" nature that might come up in the future. Personally.. It would make me think twice especially after the headache that you guys had to go through and the money that had to go into it. Sure everyday [H]ardOCP'rs would say that we need to fight for our rights for honest reporting and upholding "free speech" but we aren't the ones having to pay for it.

[..:: magnetik ::..]

magnetik said:
Kyle, I think a big question though... will the Infinium lawsuit affect judgement of other news that might come your way again? Will [H]ardOCP be a little hesitant on reporting news of similar "controversial" nature that might come up in the future. Personally.. It would make me think twice especially after the headache that you guys had to go through and the money that had to go into it. Sure everyday [H]ardOCP'rs would say that we need to fight for our rights for honest reporting and upholding "free speech" but we aren't the ones having to pay for it.

[..:: magnetik ::..]
To answer your question, no.

You can very well look at this victory as a license to keep on reporting the truth with less fear of malicious reprisals. I will have to guess that companies in the future will think twice about sending us threatening letters for their lawyers. Certainly, when they do, I will show them how in this case we went on the offensive seeking declaratory judgment and the threatening company found themselves in an out of state federal court having to answer a lot of questions.

Just wanted to offer a huge congratulations to Kyle and [H]. Always heartening to see someone stand up for their rights, beliefs, and values ... and even better when they win. :)

Major kudos and much respect.

Take a vacation to somewhere sunny -- you've earned it.

Props to you Klye!
Sucks you had to put up alot of money for attorney fees, I hope you get that back

However, Money is only Money, its great to have but its not everything. - Like I tell people,
I would rather be a Poor Man then a Rich Pussy.
u_DR_K13

[H] über alles

Congrats kyle!

I got a few pices of the phantom at quakecon.... (/me looks over at them and grins :D )

Anyways...great way protecting your rights!

no prob, just thought it was cool...

here are some more

DSCN5751.JPG

DSCN5748.JPG

DSCN5744.JPG

DSCN5756small.jpg

DSCN5757small.jpg

DSCN5759small.jpg

ahh the memories!

edit: if anyone wants higher res versions of those (3.15mp) pm me or something

I was just looking at the pics of how that thing was put together on HARDOCP lol
now thats funny. My folding Boxen made with mis-matched spare parts look better ( and are built better ) then that pile.

u_DR_K13

Kyle,

Congradulations on your win. I'm very happy this has ended in your favor as I knew you were right all along. :cool:

Lethal,

How did everyone miss that opportunity?!? gah, I feel slighted now. :p

I had actually forgot about this whole shananagan up until I saw the news on the main page.

Congratulations, and im very happy this isnt going to change the way you run things around here. No bullshit, the truth,...everything we as readers want.

Infinium suuuure did stick there nose into the wrong shit, GO HARDOCP!!!!!

I may get censored or banned for posting this, but am I the only one that is appalled at the behavior of KB Networks?

They move their forums to a pay-for service, and post on the front-page how they're spending first $150K, and now $200K on filing suit against IL.

Obviously, KB Networks is the plaintiff. That means THEY were suing IL, not being sued. If you read the complaint, they were demanding all manner of things about the business and development at IL.

Now, I'm not a fan of IL, I'm just irritated that people's money is being taken and wasted on this deal....

At least one thing Kyle got right: his lawyers are geniuses. They got some sucker to fork over ~$200,000 over a "phantom" game console.

Another thing this points out is how downright lucrative it can be to own a popular website. I'm sure Kyle's kids aren't starving, and he and his wife have a nice home and vehicle(s). You *know* he's got a few swank PCs, and after all that he still has $200K to fork over for this non-sense.

I don't think U'll get banned or even get a PM Kyle doesn't mind banning ppl but as far as I have seen it not for beeing vocal about a point of view in a polite manner. Regardless of wether the view is popular or not.

However what I think ppl will tell U is that IL forced KB:s hand more then a bit and that U need to polish up your grip on history (also more then a bit) I think there is a link in this thread to the history. I don't remember correctly but it might be www.whereisphantom.com If it isn't som1 else here will supply it anew for you.

Afterwards I think that even if you havn't changed your mind completly U'll be less negative. However I understand partly from where U have the picture because this has becom a "ego-booster" thread that isn't conform with what know hardforum or HOCP to be normaly, however I guess that is just a happiness reaction and some IL-bashing reaction now that it is finally over to let of some steam. And I also think that is well deserved.

Now I shouldn't normally have answered your post at all but let that to KB but since it was I who wrote the post earlier I felt I had some justification to answer.

Best Regards

Scarceas said:
They move their forums to a pay-for service, and post on the front-page how they're spending first $150K, and now $200K on filing suit against IL.
You're just a bit confused on the facts. Understandable since so many things were going on. I'll fact check your complaints. First the forums aren't a pay-for service. Otherwise, how you posting on them? One section of the forum is pay and that is General Mayhem which was forced into that situation to control all the trolling that was going on. By paying to post there, and only there, it's kept the flame wars to a minimum.

Obviously, KB Networks is the plaintiff. That means THEY were suing IL, not being sued. If you read the complaint, they were demanding all manner of things about the business and development at IL. Now, I'm not a fan of IL, I'm just irritated that people's money is being taken and wasted on this deal....
While KB Networks was the plantiff, it was done as part of a legal strategy to force the hand of a entity that is contstantly threatning to sue. I have the complaint and KB Networks makes no such development demands. The only thing that the lawsuit settles is the issue of the truth of the article. Now hopefully you're irrated that KB Networks money was wasted. Your money was never used.

Another thing this points out is how downright lucrative it can be to own a popular website. I'm sure Kyle's kids aren't starving, and he and his wife have a nice home and vehicle(s). You *know* he's got a few swank PCs, and after all that he still has $200K to fork over for this non-sense.
Remember that KB Networks is a business with employees and contractors that have to be payed, expenses and whatnot. Truth us, we don't know if Kyle had to dip into a nestegg or not to pay his legal bills. Is there money to be made in websites? Well, duh yeah. Now my contact with Kyle has become limited somewhat, but he doesn't live in a mansion, he's driven the same car for a few years and so on. You could contrast this with Tim Roberts who owns a very large house on a Florida Key with an attached dock and a boat and he drives a VERY nice car. He also makes $250,000 a year.

My point is that this whole thing was very silly to begin with and I've got an intenal memo from IL that about says as much. The main thing is that it's just about over and everyone will move on.

mashie said:
You know it had not happened if IL didn't sue KB Networks for $20 million in the first place. Get your facts straight...
Actually, IL was constantly dangling a lawsuit in front of Kyle, so KB Networks sued first, then Infinium Labs. The US District lawsuit was pre-emptive.

Torgo said:
Actually, IL was constantly dangling a lawsuit in front of Kyle, so KB Networks sued first, then Infinium Labs. The US District lawsuit was pre-emptive.

yeah, the legal equivilant of:

some loud mouth wanker threating to kick your ass, over and over
you get tired of his crap so you attack him first and beat the snot out of him
end of problem

Lethal said:
Anyone else find it ironic that someone who would say "There [sic] website is a joke run by two punk kids" would choose an avatar of... a punked-out kid? :p
I think that just proves how much of a moron the guy that owns IL makes himself out to be. Probably did it for spite though, but who knows.

Congratulations Kyle on a hard battle well fought and for standing up for what ya believe in! :)

Bottom line is this in my opinion. IL pushed in hopes of forcing us out of business and their thinking that HardOCP was run by "two punk kids" might have worked out if IL was right about who they were dealing with.
I think that was IL plan too, and I am damned glad to see it backfire on them royally.

And to Mr. Roberts who is without a doubt keeping an eye on this thread I gotta say a big "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!, LOSER!!!!!"

So if you were the plaintiff does that mean you don't have much chance to recoup legal fees? Or are you going to go for it since they backed you into a corner? (Or just to be vindictive to that little f*ckwad, PLEASE be vindictive! ;) )

Congrats again and best of luck. :)

Exactly what has the Inqwell done to help Kyle? They've mentioned the case, but they certainly haven't done a single thing beyond that. They haven't done 1% of what I've done. Sure... swoop down at the last second and claim all the credit. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to see IL scramble back to the hole they attacked from. I cannot believe the bad PR move on their part, it's almost equivalent to the RIAA/MPAA attacking their consumer base. One lesson to be learned here: From the forums even unto the courtroom, don't get on Kyle's bad side.

Lunas said:
In my opnion it would have made a better software than it would have a console... make versions of it to run off pc, xbox and ps2 w/hard drive and screw the hot glue. Oh wait i think some thing like that exists already but i cant place the name of it some thing to stream a full title game to you over a broadband connection in which you make the purchase online... Isnt that what Steam is...

xbox live owns steam :p

oh, and gratz to hardocp :)

phantom sure has made a great impression on the gaming community so far with this lawsuit, and I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes if it ever comes out with its powerful GeForce FX5700 GPU ;)

[Ch]amsalot said:
I bet it was the sweetest Sushi you ever had. Congrats Kyle, nicely done.

Interestingly enough, Infinium's online forums have vanished. :D

Kyle, you do need to get in contact with Fuad Abazovic of The Inquirer. In his article dated today about Phantom, not only does he mention you by name, but he said this of Infinium:

We are also pleased that this firm has called off its lawyers and given HardOCP and Kyle Bennett a break. It took Charlie Demerjian's advice, but took a long time to get to that decision.​

Honestly, Fuad makes it look like Infinium is the good guy. WTF?!? :confused:

Kyle, needs to smack that fucker, lol

Taurus said:
Kyle, needs to smack that fucker, lol

LOL, they made it sounds like IL "decided to play nice and back down the lawyers, at their (Inq's) advice)" , when the reality is IL refused to back down and got their asses handed to them in court....

complete horseshit, one more reason to hate that place (Inq)

you guys see the front page Infinium spent some money on shirts for employees... Not only does it have Mr Roberts child like opinion. But he defends the shirt by the very same thing that lost him his lawsuit...

Free speech. I am amazed he still has a job...

Lol, I think its a bit ironic that they say to promote free speech after the lawsuit....

Lets see...

1. Hypocritical for even making the shirt after trying to sue [H]
2. Contradictory for saying "posting inaccurate information" & "Kyle is going to jail"
3. Just plain childish.

I wonder if IL expects [H] to answer back with insults about their mothers...
:rolleyes:

ktingle said:
Anyone else tired of this stuff?

Its a big public pissing contest over nothing.

No offense intended, but that might be easier to say for those of us sitting in the Bleachers.

ktingle said:
Anyone else tired of this stuff?

Its a big public pissing contest over nothing.
No I'm not tired in the least bit.

I'd like to see your ass sued for $20,000,000 and have you say "it's nothing". :rolleyes:

Yeah right. :mad:

Back