HardOCP to review 8400?

Hi

Just wondering when the reviews of the E8400 are coming out?

Thanks
My guess would be not likely.

They already covered the extreme edition Penryn that's too pricey for most of their readers, and that's likely all you'll get from here. Lots of other sites though...

With the problems alot of people are having with the chip, [H] might have to wait for a better batch.

Most common problem I've seen on multiple boards is the 8400 not reporting temps correctly. Perhaps software/bios needing updates or the chip was manufactured faulty. We'll see how it pans out like with all new hardware

I highly doubt the ship itself is incorrectly reporting temperatures. I think it is all down to software.

Curious what kind of problems your speaking of.
Many motherboards do not correctly support the E8x00 CPUs yet. The most common problem is inaccurate or unreliable temperature reporting, but a number of boards also suffer from stability issues (BSODs, reboots, etc) with the E8x00 CPUs. In some cases, boards do not use the proper voltage for the E8x00 CPUs.

A number of the past Hardocp and Anandtech motherboard reviews are no longer valid [for Intel's latest] because those boards just don't work reliably with the new CPUs.

I do see some sites still testing with discontinued E6xxx CPUs and that makes no sense. IMO, any new motherboard reviews should test with Intel's 2008 lineup, i.e. (1) E8400, (2) QX9650 or QX9770, and maybe a (3) Q6600. The editor over at Anandtech has said that all new motherboard reviews will include testing of the E8400 and I hope Hardocp follows suit.

Got our new E8500 processors delivered within the last hour. We will still be running benchmarks on the QX9770, but will be using E8500 for compatibility and overclocking testing if they prove to support good bus speeds. We will see. Might still be using the E6300 to test max FSB though.

Usually [H] Doesn't produce a review w/o someone (intel) sending them a chip to be reviewed. Now I saw xbit labs review of the e8400 months ago, maybe intel hasn't gotten around to [H] yet I dunno.

I don't think [H] would buy an e8400 out of pocket to review it unless it was one of the reviewers personal CPUs or unless their was super high demand for it, which their really isn't, atleast IMO.

Edit. yeah, apparently I was 4 minutes off.

Back