HardOCP Question on SSD

Intel, Crucial, and OCZ.

Those three but in order from best to worst:

OCZ
Intel
Crucial

I own an OCZ Vertex 120GB and have been extremely pleased with it. To go with that, I really like the Interesting offerings of OCZ. I'm contemplating buying one of their RevoDrives or Z-Drives this year.

OCZ ( I own one)
Intel
Crucial

The OCZ has been great. It is the best balance of speed and size for the money for me.

Intel
OCZ
Corsair

(for those of you who care why)
The 80Gb G2 Intel in my laptop has been flawless. Except for the speed I sometimes forget it is an SSD. Love the toolbox. Have not had to deal with Intel service. Put a 160 in a friends computer and it has also been flawless. Peace of mind baby.

The OCZ 120Gb Vertex 1 in my desktop has been great but it is from RMA. OCZ service was shaky at first although they eventually made it right. Large support forum but the way they run it is fragmented with many conflicting/confusing stickies and moderation is imperious at best with ridiculous requirements to even ask a question. I will say I haven't visited in a while so maybe it is better now. I would buy from them again though because they are quick/proactive with the firmware and do seem to want to push the SSD envelope.

I would consider Corsair for my next SSD since they have a large community presence and, overall, I've heard good service. But, last generation they were very slow with firmware updates and I have the impression that SSD's are just another thing the slap their name on and not really a priority.

Not familiar with Crucial but during DDR1 era heard horror stories about their memory and support. GSkill is on my list if the price is right and I've owned their memory with no problems but hear support is a crapshoot. Not familiar with Kingston...need to hear more about them before I would consider.

I bought from Crucial and OCZ Vertex 2 with no regrets. OCZ is my #1, Crucial #2 and Corsair #3.

OCZ, Crucial, Corsair

Currently own 4 Vertex 2's in RAID 0 on LSI 9260-8i 6Gbps SAS PCIe 8x controller

OMFG!!!! owned the first pair for 6months, just bought the LSI and 2nd pair for my main RIG, very pleased

SSD's cost per gb still doesn't outweigh the performance benefits imo, will be on mechanical HDs until I can get 500gb for under $100, I'll deal w/ the extra 15-20 sec boot times for now for 10x the capacity

Corsair, OCZ, and Patriot :D

Any Sandforce drive will rock in terms of performance. In terms of price per gigabyte and decent performance Intel and Kingston are goo choices as well.

1) Intel

Subjectively I think Intel is the most reliable. It's hard to judge from the anecdotal reports. What we really need is objective reliability testing for SSDs.

It's more controller maker that matters, so Sandforce, Indilinx, Intel.

INTEL, INTEL, INTEL.

Over 50 X25-M and X25-V drives and not 1 failure.

They are great for an OS and game drive, but are very bad for video editing and content creation due to the lower read/write times compared to OCZ and Crucial SSDs.

It really depends on what you are using them for. I like OCZ and have been going strong with mine for over 3/4 of a year now.

They are all essentially just copies of their competitors. The memory chips and controller chips are all most likely been made at the same factory.
After doing the research, I just went for the cheaper A-Data drive, which turned out to be the same as vertex2 or force series in terms of speed/reliability.

In this order:
OCZ, Intel, Crucial.
OCZ and Intel are obvious choices. They essentially run the show and everyone else plays catch up.
I wanna throw in Corsair and Kingston as interchangeable with Crucial. But I'll stick with Crucial as my "third".

exactly what he said...

Regardless of Price:

Intel > OCZ > Crucial

But since price matters, I have 2 OCZ SSD's (120MB Agility II in Desktop, 96MB Vertex in Laptop) and 1 Supertalent (8GB as boot drive on linux server).

I would only buy Intel or Crucial. I own an Intel X25-M (G2) but will likely get the Crucial C400 next month unless we actually have details on Intel G3 by then.

I am not down with the Sandforce drives. I don't like the idea of compressing all of the data on the drive. Maybe I am old school, but I don't want to get varying degrees of performance based on how compressible the data is. If I were going to get something Sandforce based, it would be OCZ at this point since they have had the most experience with the company and seem to be Sandforce's closest partner.

Other companies use the Intel, Marvell, and Sandforce controllers, but I like to stick with the originals.

I would only buy Intel or Crucial. I own an Intel X25-M (G2) but will likely get the Crucial C400 next month unless we actually have details on Intel G3 by then.

I am not down with the Sandforce drives. I don't like the idea of compressing all of the data on the drive. Maybe I am old school, but I don't want to get varying degrees of performance based on how compressible the data is. If I were going to get something Sandforce based, it would be OCZ at this point since they have had the most experience with the company and seem to be Sandforce's closest partner.

Other companies use the Intel, Marvell, and Sandforce controllers, but I like to stick with the originals.

I've recently purchased a Sandforce, just cause it was a good deal. I've searched this forum and there really isn't a lot of in depth info about them, they do seem peculiar, although mine has been a terrific upgrade.

So from my limited experience SF OCZ

After 12h+ of WTF trying to update the firmware on this Agility 2 40GB drive I can recommend OCZ to anyone who enjoys reading through badly written guides that have not been updated to reflect new versions of the shitbox (read: Toolbox).

This is/was my first foray into SSD's, I'm nowhere near a power user re SSD's and having bought a consumer drive I expected something quite different.

This purchase did not turn out to be a fun/cheap/easy way of getting a snappier Windows experience, it did though leave a distinct taste of poop. I'm not impressed at all.

Oh... so much has changed in 3 months time.

Who would change their recommendations for OCZ after this 25nm clusterfuck?

Oh... so much has changed in 3 months time.

Who would change their recommendations for OCZ after this 25nm clusterfuck?

Don't know what you are referring to, but looking at Anandtech's reviews, I can't help but think the Vertex 3 is the best drive on there.

I'm done with OCZ, 42 or so horrible experiences with their Indilinx based drives. Has left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Intel, Crucial and Corsair in no particular order for me...

I'm done with OCZ, 42 or so horrible experiences with their Indilinx based drives. Has left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Intel, Crucial and Corsair in no particular order for me...

I have two of OCZ's INdilinx based drive. One OCZ Agility II 120GB and one OCZ Vertex 96GB. Both have worked flawlessly, the Agility for just over a year, and the Vertex for 10 months.

What kind of problems did you have with yours?

This purchase did not turn out to be a fun/cheap/easy way of getting a snappier Windows experience, it did though leave a distinct taste of poop. I'm not impressed at all.

Try an Intel SSD if you're able. It'll work right, as soon as it's installed (or at least your odds of success are much much better).

Of my small group of computer dweebs, there have been nothing but problems for those with OCZ SSDs. Those of us that waited were jealous of the initial speed, but soon decided that it came at a great cost in reliability. The prospect of firing up my box to find it has shit-bricked itself led me to hold off even longer, but once I tip-toed in with an Intel X25-V for my Acer Aspire One netbook, I had to stick another Intel SSD, a 120GB X25-M, into my main box. The speed is addictive, even compared to my RAID0 WD Black setup.

My preferences are:
Intel
Intel
Corsair (Performance 3 Series only)

Back