HardOCP looking into the 970 3.5GB issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are crying about this like a bunch of Frenchies.

Rule 1 of capitalism and free markets is... the risk is on the buyer. It's on the buyer, not the producer, to figure out if what they are buying is what is. That's how the free market works. The producer gets to use every trick in the book to get your money, and it's on you to figure out if they are full of shit or not.

nvidia did nothing wrong, talking people who don't know better into buying something is the point of the game. As for the reviewers, it's not on them to tell you the truth. It's on them to make money, and if making money means they review in nvidia's favor than the market has spoken and they should do it.

Quit your bitching. It's a free market and nvidia acted in their own interest, reviewers acted in their own interest, and morons lost their money. That's how it works. Upset, tough, it's on you to be a smarter consumer.

Rule 1 of capitalism and free markets is... the risk is on the buyer. It's on the buyer, not the producer, to figure out if what they are buying is what is. That's how the free market works. The producer gets to use every trick in the book to get your money, and it's on you to figure out if they are full of shit or not.

nvidia did nothing wrong, talking people who don't know better into buying something is the point of the game. As for the reviewers, it's not on them to tell you the truth. It's on them to make money, and if making money means they review in nvidia's favor than the market has spoken and they should do it.

Quit your bitching. It's a free market and nvidia acted in their own interest, reviewers acted in their own interest, and morons lost their money. That's how it works. Upset, tough, it's on you to be a smarter consumer.

Speaking of being whiny. Why are you so upset people are upset because nvidia lied to them?

Wow just wow! Bravo for taking it sitting down like the French in WW2.

lol blatant stirring.
You could y'know, read the thread, then you might not come up with an invalid troll :D

I would also like to point out that all these cards have 4gb of ram. 512mb of it being not usable doesn't mean you didn't get a card with 4gb like you paid for lol. ;-)

Not 4GB on a 256 Bus with whatever bandwidth they had previously stated. Their is more to VRAM than just the 4GB number. Having a card that attempts to never use that last .5GB makes it obvious that the last .5GB of ram is truly unusable without implications to your gaming or content creation.

that makes no sense...the whole point was that most people didn't feel the 980 was worth the additional $230...why would I want a trade-up now?...if I wanted it I would have gotten it then...trade in my 970 for a 980 with no extra cost and then it's even :D

Because things have changed and now people know they are getting a 3.5gb card. So if that makes the 980 worth it to you now you can upgrade. If it still doesn't make the 980 worth it to you then shut your damn hippy mouth because you would have bought the 970 even knowing it was 3.5gb. lol

I would also like to point out that all these cards have 4gb of ram. 512mb of it being not usable doesn't mean you didn't get a card with 4gb like you paid for lol. ;-)

oh good point. That's like if AMD sold the Phenom II X3 as a quad core chip because, you know, the extra core was on the silicon but just turned off. Consumers could always re-enable the extra core (but sometimes it didn't work), so buyer beware and all that.

Frenchies. free markets blah blah blah

Also, free market capitalism definitely means there are no federal consumer-protection laws related to false advertising in many countries including the U.S.

Definitely.

Well spotted, nobody made that clear before.

Because things have changed and now people know they are getting a 3.5gb card. So if that makes the 980 worth it to you now you can upgrade. If it still doesn't make the 980 worth it to you then shut your damn hippy mouth because you would have bought the 970 even knowing it was 3.5gb. lol

Such a poor argument its really just laughable.

We forgot AMD went out of business.
You have a special brain.

Wait what...They do have CRT support, or am I missing something here.

They do not support analogue displays. You would need to buy a separate and hard to find adapter for CRTs, and.those are only good up to a low resolution and refresh rate.

You'd be surprised. If nVidia actually advertised this as a 3.5GB card, I would've sprung for the 980 instead. Why? Because I don't upgrade every year, and I want my cards to last. Certain games such as Watch Dogs and Shadow of Mordor will approach that 3.5GB limit even at 1080p. And with how PC port optimization are going these days, the vram requirement is just going to keep ballooning.

Now I have 970 SLI, so there's more than enough GPU power to push 60 frames if I don't go nuts on the eyecandy at 4K or run really high DSR (effectively SSAA, which gobbles up vram like no tomorrow). However, there's no substitute for vram, and I could easily run into a situation where I have enough core power to push the frames, but the game is still unplayable because it keeps beating against that 3.5GB vram wall.

Does that make more sense now?

And funny how if nVidia had been honest, they'd actually have made MORE money. Go figure.

That's why I said nvidia should give people like you the option to upgrade to 980s for the price difference of the cards. But apparently people think that's crazy sauce lol.

They do not support analogue displays. You would need to buy a separate and hard to find adapter for CRTs, and.those are only good up to a low resolution and refresh rate.
I understand your displeasure but at the same time CRT have been dead for years now, its probably time to upgrade to an LCD of some sort. I know some people enjoy CRTs but I truly find no reason for them anymore unless you just want to waste a huge amount of space on your desk.

That's why I said nvidia should give people like you the option to upgrade to 980s for the price difference of the cards. But apparently people think that's crazy sauce lol.

Well I'm in the 0.1% here, but I also spent about $350 watercooling these cards, and nVidia sure as hell won't refund me for that. And no these full cover blocks cannot be used on the 980. So even if the upgrade were an option (and quite frankly I do not see nVidia doing that ever), I'd still be out $350.

I think the other part you're missing is that people were misled by false advertisment, and were thus robbed the choice of being able to make an informed decision, which may have consquences. For example I saved up for the ROG Swift and was almost ready to pull th trigger, but now it seems that might be a waste of money if I don't get true 4GB cards.

Again, I realize everyone's situation is different, but just trying to point out how this "inconsequential non-issue" could have real impact.

Pretty much everything you posted is wrong, a rare feat.

I see banhammer coming.:D

I do really understand where you guys are coming from and if I owned one i would probably care more.

I would be willing to put money on most 970 owners running 1920x1080 and this never being issue. Yet they are in here bitching for refunds even though there really aren't any decent alternatives.

Nvidia should be offering a free game and the option to upgrade to a 980 at most.

Anyone who doesn't think that is reasonable I'm pretty much just trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Whilst I do not agree with it, this unfortunately seems to be true... For example has anyone actually got a refund on their 970 for being mis sold? Thought not..

Even if the shop I purchased from accept my return for a 970, they could still take 20% off the refund as it has been opened and there is nothing I can do about it with new UK laws...

You are completely wrong. For starters, classical economic theory assumes that buyers have perfect knowledge of the market, which is clearly false both in the real world and in this example. Secondly, there are numerous consumer protection laws in place to prevent exactly what you are describing. Manufacturers cannot legally misrepresent their products to consumers.

Would buy a 290x if only it had CRT support.

I hate AMD for doing that :mad:

I understand your displeasure but at the same time CRT have been dead for years now, its probably time to upgrade to an LCD of some sort. I know some people enjoy CRTs but I truly find no reason for them anymore unless you just want to waste a huge amount of space on your desk.

That is a different discussion, but for some of us, though a tiny minority, any LCD would be a huge downgrade for gaming.

Whilst I do not agree with it, this unfortunately seems to be true... For example has anyone actually got a refund on their 970 for being mis sold? Thought not..

Many.

Even if the shop I purchased from accept my return for a 970, they could still take 20% off the refund as it has been opened and there is nothing I can do about it with new UK laws...

Not true.

You are completely wrong. For starters, classical economic theory assumes that buyers have perfect knowledge of the market, which is clearly false both in the real world and in this example. Secondly, there are numerous consumer protection laws in place to prevent exactly what you are describing. Manufacturers cannot legally misrepresent their products to consumers.

Right in theory yes, but how do you go about getting a full refund for the 970 then?

oh good point. That's like if AMD sold the Phenom II X3 as a quad core chip because, you know, the extra core was on the silicon but just turned off. Consumers could always re-enable the extra core (but sometimes it didn't work), so buyer beware and all that.

Its more like AMD selling FX CPUs as 2, 4 , 6 , and 8 cores. Even if they are missing some of the bits that we traditionally associated with the meaning of "cores".

I buy a certain specced V8 that performs to certain specs, but once I get it home, I find out it's a V6 ecoboost - with the same performance as originally advertised as a V8.

Is it wrong? Of course it is - they advertised it as one thing but it turns out to be another. Whether both A and B perform the same is irrelevant.

As a guy that owns whatever (both Nvidia and AMD in various boxes and laptops), I can say - unbiased - that Nvidia effed up. The excuse that marketing flubbed it? How could it reach release if no one from engineering or any other department didn't double check and sign off on the specs first? No way!

The only reason there hasn't been a more substantive mea culpa from Nvidia is that they are trying to come up with a viable legal strategy in the mean time (sure they are sweating like crazy over at Nvidia legal).

They know the litigation is coming, the only question is when.

I buy a certain specced V8 that performs to certain specs, but once I get it home, I find out it's a V6 ecoboost - with the same performance as originally advertised as a V8.

Is it wrong? Of course it is - they advertised it as one thing but it turns out to be another. Whether both A and B perform the same is irrelevant.

As a guy that owns whatever (both Nvidia and AMD in various boxes and laptops), I can say - unbiased - that Nvidia effed up. The excuse that marketing flubbed it? How could it reach release if no one from engineering or any other department didn't double check and sign off on the specs first? No way!

The only reason there hasn't been a more substantive mea culpa from Nvidia is that they are trying to come up with a viable legal strategy in the mean time (sure they are sweating like crazy over at Nvidia legal).

They know the litigation is coming, the only question is when.

agreed, I have a 970 in my work PC, and am able to replicate the issues... and at home I have a XFX 7770 which I like very much also...

I don't care who makes it, it's all about price/performance at the time

AMD Cashes in On GTX 970 Drama, Cuts R9 290X Price - TechPowerUp

Most excellent. The 970's perf/price ratio just went down the gutter LOL

Makes 290X a better buy however I'd hardly call it AMD cashing in, lol.

Step 1: Wait for competitor to fuck up.
Step 2: Lower the price of your high end product below the price of competitor's fuck up.
Step 3: ?????????
Step 4: Profit

THIS is why AMD is constantly losing money, lol.

Its more like AMD selling FX CPUs as 2, 4 , 6 , and 8 cores. Even if they are missing some of the bits that we traditionally associated with the meaning of "cores".
It's not the same, because AMD fully disclosed the architecture and how it worked in product reviews and documentation.

EEb2wtM.jpg

Makes 290X a better buy however I'd hardly call it AMD cashing in, lol.

Step 1: Wait for competitor to fuck up.
Step 2: Lower the price of your high end product below the price of competitor's fuck up.
Step 3: ?????????
Step 4: Profit

THIS is why AMD is constantly losing money, lol.

In this case that would just be a short term cash-in, and ultimately self defeating...

Probably much better to have more product out there, have people try it, and have the potential to gain mindshare for next generation upcoming parts...

Nvidia got my vote with the 970/980 card release, that is the reason I got rid of my 290 cards. I have owned more ATI/AMD cards than Nvidia, but this is likely going to change in the future. If the 3xx cards are as hyped up as they are, going to jump ship and go with AMD again.

No matter which way you look at it, Nvidia lied. They put out a product that is gimped, simple as that. If you cannot use the FULL 4GB of what was advertised, its not a 4GB card. I love how Nvidia mentions the spec sheet being sent to review sites being wrong. THE BOX HAS 4GB's STATED ON IT. Did they forget to send a memo to their marketing/box manufacturers also? This whole ordeal is more proof that Nvidia took advantage of their loyal base, and fed on the R9 series mistakes with heat and efficiency. They either rushed these cards to topple AMD offerings, or simply understood the risks with a gimped architecture and decided to release it anyway.
I knew that these cards were too good to be true. Very low TDP, great performance - on paper, and higher memory availability, which we know we were lied to, AND costing less than 780TI offerings.

If you are blind and dont see the things I mentioned as Nvidia spitting in peoples faces for false advertisement then you are the perfect fanboy, and everything that is wrong with being a blind loyalist.
AMD is right to capitalize on this, and you can bet that more people in the enthusiasts community will think twice about going with an Nvidia card in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back