HardOCP looking into the 970 3.5GB issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No this is major fuck up. Lieing about specs on a video card? WAY worse then throttling (Which was fixed with good coolers).
They didn't misrepresent the performance of the product. Review samples went out, retail cards perform in-line with the review samples. People got the performance they were led to expect at the price they were told it'd be available at.

no care.

At least they didn't lie about specs of a video card.
Are you really trying to say that AMD misrepresenting the ACTUAL PERFORMANCE of their hardware with review samples is somehow less-deceitful than a number on a spec-sheet being inaccurate?

While I think nvidia was a bit shady about this, I'm pretty sure 99% of customers would still have bought the 970 even if it was a 3.5gb card.

I think it's also interesting that no one gets on manufacturers cases for offering 2gb+ of ram on PoS entry lvl cards that is totally useless but this is a big deal.

I hear they're partnering with SOE on a fix for this.

You just pay for an airdrop containing an extra 512MB of VRAM. It's contested though so you may or may nor get it

According to the pcper article Nvidia's labs say the dfference could be 4-6%, so in one day they doubled the 1-3% previous estimate

NVIDIA’s performance labs continue to work away at finding examples of this occurring and the consensus seems to be something in the 4-6% range. A GTX 970 without this memory pool division would run 4-6% faster than the GTX 970s selling today in high memory utilization scenarios. Obviously this is something we can’t accurately test though – we don’t have the ability to run a GTX 970 without a disabled L2/ROP cluster like NVIDIA can. All we can do is compare the difference in performance between a reference GTX 980 and a reference GTX 970 and measure the differences as best we can, and that is our goal for this week.

It's unfortunate, but at the same time it would've cost you far more than 4-6% to buy a chip that didn't have that L2 disabled. They are binned based on chips that don't work perfectly from manufacturing... They shut the defective parts off.

If you put the constraint in that they have all L2 units work perfectly for 970 as people originally thought, far fewer chips qualify for the standards for the 970 SKU, meaning the cost to produce each qualifying chip goes up. This means retail pricing goes up, and it would go up by more than what you gain in performance by having the full L2/memory bandwidth configuration.

So you actually got better bang for buck this way. The people designing these products aren't idiots.

It was just a spec miscommunication. 970 performance is 970 performance is 970 performance.

Last edited:
They didn't misrepresent the performance of the product. Review samples went out, retail cards perform in-line with the review samples. People got the performance they were led to expect at the price they were told it'd be available at.

no care.

Are you really trying to say that AMD misrepresenting the ACTUAL PERFORMANCE of their hardware with review samples is somehow less-deceitful than a number on a spec-sheet being inaccurate?

They lied for 4 months to users over the specs. No other way to spin it.

I know you guys can try. But there is no way the shills can cover this now. Its on every major website.

I Think I have a right to be pissed, im a 970 GTX owner who paid $720 for 2 of them.

It's just a memory partition. :rolleyes: Every 970 review shows that it's an awesome card.

Now the AMD throttling issue. That was a major f*** up.

Wow are you seriously that dense, or are you on nVidia's payroll? nVidia fucked up, knew about this all along but never said anything because they figured nobody would notice. And now that this is all over the net they have no choice to but to come clean. Them coming clean is because they can no longer sweep this under the rug, and if it came from them it would at least save them the embarassment of being called out. There's no other way to spin this.

The design has to be cleared by Nvidia. They are 100% involved in certifying non-reference cards. You took what I said out of context, I never said anything about limitation of design changes.

Umm, if the design has to be cleared by nVidia, then yeah that pretty much constitutes "limitation" in my book. To give a concrete example, MSI never released the 780 Ti Lightning, because nVidia did not approve of completely unlocked voltage.

In any case I'm getting off-topic, I actually wanted to clear up this bit of misinformation:

They released a GTX 970 with dual 6 pin power. TONS of customers were complaining about the video cards down clocking under stress because the GPU isn't getting the power that is needed, especially the customers that spent extra on the factory overclocked versions. So they release a new version of the GTX 970 with a 8 pin and a 6 pin connector to allow more power phases to the GPU to alleviate the power throttle issue.

I can guarantee you right now that if you're not overclocking the card, 2x6 pin is more than enough for stock clocks, and the throttling mess is purely because of EVGA's shitty BIOS that caps the power limit to 145W.

AnandTech said:
Despite not being temperature limited, what we can see right away is that regardless of the clock speed settings it uses, the GTX 970 FTW is TDP limited under all scenarios. At no point in time are we able to maintain the card’s top boost bin, and instead the card spends its time fluctuating between the boost bins it can hold while maintaining power consumption of 145W. The actual drop off from the maximum boost bin depends heavily on the game; some games average clock speeds close to the maximum, while others have to pull way back.

Does 145W approach the 225W upper limit of a dual 6 pin card? On top of that, the Asus Strix 970 comes with a single 8 pin, which is equivalent to 2x6 pins in terms of power delivery, but Asus at least had enough foresight to set power target to 163W, which can be boosted to 196W at 120%, so the Asus card has no issues with power throttling at stock clocks or even a mild overclock.

That was caused by a less agressive fan profile on some cards and was fixed in a driver update. There was NO evidence that review samples were special.

Wow you are as bad as Prime1.

I'm dismayed with this site. I have watched this once great resource turn in to the BBQ Pit Boys of hardware enthusiast sites.

You are too busy making anti-Apple click bait news items and catering to redneck pc gamers, than standing by your loyal readers. You should be giving Nvidia both barrels, just like you used to do when you still cared about what you do. I bought my 970 after reading the review on this site, and since then I've noticed the complete lack of any real pc industry news and views.

I'm out of here. Thanks for all the fish.
What does the quality of the news have to do with the quality of the reviews? I've mostly ignored their news posts for years, doesn't mean the reviews done by the GPU editors aren't rock solid.

Anandtech (Ryan Smith) has an article about it.

Check out the article, it's pretty informative at least compared to PCPer's NV statement.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

Joking aside, this is actually a lot worst than what it originally looked like.

4 months of selling a product with the wrong product specifications alone will land ANY company in extremely hot water!

Now add in keeping the segmented memory issue, which was done by design, a secret! WTF!?

This is serious.

Would you be happy buying a v8 car and then finding out that is was just a v6 tweaked to perform like a v8?

Funny you should say that... I didn't buy my car because it is a V8.

I bought it for the 400+ horsepower and the sound it happens to make as a result of being a V8.

If it didn't make the power I wanted (older car with V8) or make the sound I wanted (poor sound) I would've looked elsewhere. If an alternate motor design sounded as bad ass and made the power I would've bought it.

The specific fact that it is a V8 did not affect my decision.

And a 970 is not a V6. If it could only use 3.5GB it would be a closer comparison (even though unlike a V6, the 970 GPU would still be running like a V8 up to 3.5GB, making this comparison even worse). But it's a 4GB card that uses 4GB. NVIDIA knows how to build an efficient GPU better than us.

Last edited:
Worth mentioning that Titanfall uses over 3.5gb of memory with high resolution and AA enabled. Games that do this will be the rule rather than the exception within the year.

a number on a spec-sheet being inaccurate?
It became much larger that a spec-sheet error.

Many review sites post charts showing the physical differenes, ie ROPS, CUDA cores, between cards so those inaccuracies were seen by many potenial buyers.

I bought it for the 400+ horsepower and the sound it happens to make as a result of being a V8.

If it disn't make the power I wanted (older car with V8) or make the sound I wanted (poor V8 sound) I would've looked elsewhere.

The fact that it is a V8 had no bearing on my decision.

So you'd be fine being sold a highly overclocked GTX 970 instead of a GTX 980 if it performed the same in benchmarks? Give me a break.

How much do you feel they are worth to you now?

No high-end user wants to hear that their high-end $300+ video card actually chokes on the last 1/2 gig of vram and is actually operating in 224-bit mode 99% of the time, that's just bs.

If it didn't make the power I wanted (older car with V8) or make the sound I wanted (poor V8 sound) I would've looked elsewhere.

The fact that it is a V8 had no affect on my decision.

Yet it affects many others. It isn't just about satisfying your buying process.

So you'd be fine being sold a highly overclocked GTX 970 instead of a GTX 980 if it performed the same in benchmarks? Give me a break.

No, but only because overclocking has other implications for GPU lifespan and deviating from the reference design.

Otherwise, for the price you see 970 vs. 980? Absolutely. Are you insane?

The defect rate must be really high to cause a $220 gap for a fully enabled 980 chip.

I would say $300. Since they really are only 3.5gb and 56 ROPS and 1.75mb L2 Cache.

My thoughts exactly. But considering I got the Gigabyte 970 (probably the best on the market right now) for $330, I'm not as pissed as I should be.

I can't believe people are effectively defending nVidia...

Me neither. This is indefensible.

Yet it affects many others. It isn't just about satisfying your buying process.

Sure... But my point is exactly that those people are responding emotionally and irrationally.

the GTX 970 actually has fewer ROPs and less L2 cache than the GTX 980.

Yeah, that is kinda like being sold a V8 and getting a V6.

No, it's not at all. For one thing, unlike a v6 which is slower throughout, the 970 is full speed all the way up to 7/8 memory usage. Even then, the overall impact of using the last 512MB is tiny because that last section of memory is lower priority stuff. There is no analog for this in your car engine analogy, so it is just bad to use here. Any real game workload has amounts of data you can put in there and see very low impact. Games do not require all memory to be fast, as not all allocated resources are used, let alone used equally.

Not to mention you were never buying a v8. You knowingly bought a cut down chip from the start, based on the performance and price. Just the knowledge on the way it was cut down changed.

If you want the few percent performance back in those specific high memory usage cases, you can be sure the 970 would cost more than a few percent more at retail. You would not get it for free, because the binning of the chip is what enabled you to buy the 970 at the price it is in the first place. You were not cheated and got exactly what you paid for.

Unlike a v6 vs. v8, the 970s processor is no slower than you thought. One link to memory is slower.

Last edited:
No, but only because overclocking has other implications for GPU lifespan and deviating from the reference design.
Slapping a turbo on a V6 engine to match the performance of a V8 has analogous implications on reliability. But as long as you're happy with it, that means everyone else should be :rolleyes:

I'm building a new rig. And I was just about to buy a new 970.

I'm also getting a new 32" Samsung with 2640x1440. And with all this horse shit going on with this memory issues. I will certainly not be buying the 970 now.

I haven't had a Nvidia card for several years now. And it looks like i will be going with AMD once again. At least their cards can utilize the full 4GB of memory with the 290x. Actually save me $50 bucks to because they are on sale now.

Nvidia just lost me as a customer.

They lied for 4 months to users over the specs. No other way to spin it.
Aaaaand who cares? There's no spin-doctoring needed here, it literally isn't that big a deal.

They didn't lie about the performance. They didn't lie about the price. Who gives a shit how it attains said performance? :rolleyes:

Aaaaand who cares? There's no spin-doctoring needed here, it literally isn't that big a deal.

They didn't lie about the performance. They didn't lie about the price. Who gives a shit how it attains said performance? :rolleyes:

As a Titan owner, I would never touch a 970 card now, that's for sure. High-end users avoid unbalanced memory layouts on video cards for a reason.

Sure... But my point is exactly that those people are responding emotionally and irrationally.

No, it's not at all. For one thing, unlike a v6 which is slower throughout, the 970 is full speed all the way up to 7/8 memory usage. Even then, the overall impact of using the last 512MB is tiny because that last section of memory is lower priority stuff. Any real game workload has amounts of data you can put in there and see very low impact. Games do not require all memory to be fast, as not all allocated resources are used, let alone used equally.

Not to mention you were never buying a v8. You knowingly bought a cut down chip from the start, based on the performance and price. The knowledge on the way it was cut down changed. Big deal.

Unlike a v6 vs. v8, the 970s processor is no slower than you thought. One link to memory is slower.

If you want the few percent performance back you can be sure the 970 would cost more than a few percent more at retail.
Websites posted the specs on this card. Emotional or not some people use those specs when deciding to buy. Those specs were WRONG. That is were a car dealer claiming you will get a V8 and selling a V6 apply. It IS a big deal.

As a Titan owner, I would never touch a 970 card now, that's for sure. High-end users avoid unbalanced memory layouts on video cards for a reason.
All the reviews already showed how a GTX 970 performed, including frame-time percentiles. This new information has not, in any way, changed how a GTX 970 performs. If the GTX 970's performance is a problem for you now, it should have been a problem for you on launch-day.

Also... why would a Titan owner ever consider a GTX 970 in the first place? Seems like an overall downgrade.

And it does have a real-world impact in games that use over 3.5gb, in terms of stuttering. Everyone apologizing for Nvidia is basing their argument on the assumption that games won't continue to require increasing amounts of video memory.

If the GTX 970's performance is a problem for you now, it should have been a problem for you on launch-day.
That's bullshit. You should expect that future games that require all of the advertised VRAM will perform as if your video card could address all of the advertised VRAM on the advertised bus speed. Just because last year's games worked fine in benchmarks doesn't mean jack.

Slapping a turbo on a V6 engine to match the performance of a V8 has analogous implications on reliability. But as long as you're happy with it, that means everyone else should be :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. Clearly you don't know how reliability works.

A car from the factory with a turbo is different than aftermarket.

I know the factory sold me the turbo factoring in reasonable lifespan. Aftermarket turbos (and overclocked GPUs) have no such guarantee.

I was just pointing out that its a bad example. You bought the performance you saw in reviews, did you not?

What IS ironic is that users have had these cards 4 months and didn't bitch at all about the "performance" hit when VRAM usage goes high, or it sure as hell never got got much attention on the forumz :rolleyes:

zfBRDTo.gif

And it does have a real-world impact in games that use over 3.5gb, in terms of stuttering.
Which was never misrepresented in benchmarks. There are frame-time percentile scores from review samples on launch-day that tell you EXACTLY how a GTX 970 will perform.

That performance curve has not changed. You still got the performance you paid for. The only thing that's changed is you know WHY the performance curve looks like it does.

So yeah... why is this a big deal?

People that look at spec sheets like this seen on pcper and use it in their buying decision.

GeForce GTX 980
GeForce GTX 970 (Corrected)

GPU Code name
GM204
GM204

GPU Cores

Rated Base Clock
1126 MHz
1050 MHz

Texture Units

ROP Units

L2 Cache
2048 KB
1792 KB

And it looks like i will be going with AMD once again. At least their cards can utilize the full 4GB of memory with the 290x. Actually save me $50 bucks to because they are on sale now.

Nvidia just lost me as a customer.

Have fun with those drivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back