Votes: 30 32.6%
  • What is ATI?

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
Posted by FrgMstr at 6:19 PM (CDT) Oct 4th 2005

"ATI CrossFire MIA

There has been a lot of hoopla about ATI and their CrossFire master cards lately, and I figured I would drop my 2 cents about all of this. Let me start by saying that we checked today with one of the Nets largest online computer parts retailers and they explained to me that they did not anticipate having stock on ATI CrossFire Master cards till November. Now keep in mind this is a mere 5 to 6 (depending how you count) MONTHS after their initial introduction of the product back in May...of this year.

Instead of waxing on for pages, I am going to cut to the chase and say what everyone is thinking and what many of us in the technology press are feeling.

1. ATI, HardOCP is not your personal PR bitch, so don't treat us like one again. You're on thin ice and you should be ashamed of your actions this year. We at HardOCP don't want to be a mouthpiece for vaporware in order to keep your stock price up. So from now on, if it is not the real deal, just keep it to yourself.

2. Continue with the "If NVIDIA does it, we can do it too!" methodology that has been working for you guys for a while now. But from now on, keep a tighter timeline.

3. Repeat after me. Paper launches, NO. Product launches, YES.

4. NVIDIA is setting the new standard by having their card builders selling the products on the day that they are launched. Learn it, know it, live it. And NVIDIA, don't change up on us now.

The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises. ATI is quickly burning through a solid and loyal fan base that they built back in the days of the 9700/9800. Now is the time for ATI to step up with honest damage control, not another half filled basket of half baked promises.

And oh yeah, Quake 4 just went Gold. WooHoo! I think I just found a reason to go ahead and go SLI. (Always been a big Quake fan...) Too bad CrossFire is not a real option, although I am unsure whether or not I would consider it at this time, just due to having a fear of lacking support and service by ATI."

What if the reality is that demand outstrips supply by a lot? PC gaming was so niche back then. Today we had people lining up for a 3070... not your typical bunch and craiglist and ebay now flooded with resales... The launch is real, but so are those looking to make a quick buck.

Pineapple is not a topping.

What's wrong with pineapple pizza?
tenor.gif

I *love* Pineapple pizza and I was expecting a paper launch all along, honestly I thought that was assumed? :cool:

Nvidia fired first with their semi paper launch, then AMD had no choice but to fire the same mud back in order to keep customers hanging on, knowing full well the 3070 is the biggest competitor likely to steal the most AMD sales if people didn't think an AMD card was right around the corner.

What would you have done differently? o_O

I knew it! Only a pineapple pizza (ab)user would excuse these practices!

The fuckery with these most recent GPU launches has killed any need I have to upgrade my GPU. My older cards still work. I have zero FOMO, especially for consumer electronics.

Also...

What the fuck is wrong with pineapple on pizza? The acid brightens and opens up the flavors in the pepperoni. The sweetness rounds out the creamy saltiness of the cheese. That shit is delicious.

What the fuck is wrong with pineapple on pizza? The acid brightens and opens up the flavors in the pepperoni. The sweetness rounds out the creamy saltiness of the cheese. That shit is delicious.

Well said!

I really wish we could see the number of cards produced and delivered to retailers. Call me anti-american, or anti-capitalistic, but I believe the problem with the system is the profiteering by scalpers. Of course, there wouldn't be any scalpers if nVidia could produce video cards like Domino's can deliver pineapple pizza with endless supply!

Amen brother. People like to bitch about pineapple on pizza, but then why does literally every pizza place ever have Hawaiian on their menu?

Pinapple on pizza exists because of Canadians. It prevails cuz the sugar industry spent decades building our sweet tooth.

If you want to experience pinapple pizza without pineapple, gator pepper gives that pinapple sensation minus the sweetness which accentuates the creqmyness of the cheese and the sweetness already contained in the sauce and dough.

SLI and Crossfire are DEAD!!! I guess something positive did happen in 2020.

That's a long way back to find a post. I'm sure AMD and Nvidia are scared now...

I find myself in complete disagreement with you. Clearly you need a vacation to Hawaii to get your head on straight.
Well considering Hawaiians have wall paper past... I mean poi as a traditional food... yeah I wouldn't go with Hawaiian's as the leader in culinary accomplishments. Well unless it's hangover food, the the loco moco is fucking awesome, and potato mac. But then again on average they're obese and die of heart disease super young.

Nobody stood up for us enthusiasts like the old school HardOCP. These new influencers and “reviewers” bend over backwards to spin everything positive so they don’t piss off their great benefactors. Damn, I didn’t realize how much I missed a real review until I read that.

Wow, this is some history from the year I joined this forum.
X800 Pro, Half-life 2, Doom 3. Good times!

What's wrong with pineapple pizza?

People who think the only good pizza is the italian kind think it is an abomination. The rest of the sane world thinks that if something tastes good on its own, it tastes good on Pizza too. Pineapple is good on both.

Paper launches in past meant even if you lined up, there was no stock to be had let alone scalp. This is not a paper launch.

Where have you been since September 17th? If you only bring 10,000 cards to a public expecting 500,000+, you deserve whatever names come your way.

Chicken on pizza is the real abomination here.

Buffalo chicken pizza is even better. And if you get it from upstate NY (not even too far from the city, like Orange County NY), their single slices of buffalo chicken pizza weigh like 49lbs, per slice

Back