HardOCP.com: Status Quo is No Mo

Too much reconning who the gen xers are. We were told we were gen x up to high school. There is no changing that. Dubbing a people group of gen xers as being millennial or "Xennial" is just fake history after history was made. Too late
It just people like me that are on the line that don't want to be mixed in with millennials!

Uh, I'm "the group". Someone thought they could retcon our label
Apologies for not being clear. The group I am talking about is the one applying labels. Not your group, whatever you feel that is.

I would caution against aligning with a label, but as a true Gen-X, I also don't care. :)

Apologies for not being clear. The group I am talking about is the one applying labels. Not your group, whatever you feel that is.

I would caution against aligning with a label, but as a true Gen-X, I also don't care. :)
But labels give us identity! j/k yeah too many people get attached to labels in general.

I'm in the group "Maybe the Pi 4 could be a great console, fuck I should learn Python!"

But inside I know it cant, and I don't get time for that because today I had to drive 2 hours to unplug something and plug it back in again, because the user was too stressed to be walked through that over the phone.

This trend has been something I've been noticing for a very long time. Searching for reviews always brings up YouTube videos with click-bait titles first and foremost. I have to dig deep to find real information that isn't some form of entertainment, and it's been trending more and more in this direction. I've tried watching some of those videos and they are all really bad at presenting useful information.

No MSRP is something that I have to say is very troubling. I'm really not sure how that's going to shake out over the long run. It could be that it's just a temporary thing to avoid bad press until markets and supply chains stabilize, but that assumes markets and supply chains will stabilze.

On the generational thing, it's funny. I (a gen-Xer) was at first really jealous of all the info-tech available to the next gen (millenials and beyond). But, now I just feel sorry for them. I honestly feel pretty lucky that smart phones (hell even regular cell phones) weren't a thing when I was in school and that the internet was this cool new thing you could access on the one computer in one room via this amazing new things called Gopher, then Mosaic, then Netscape Navigator. All the new social media stuff seems to be having an overall negative effect on kids growing up with it (and now adults who don't really understand "the internet") from my observations.

Back