HardForum Colored Rig (56k/Giant Pics Warning)

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

My User Name Is Stoopid
i.e. RED AND BLACK because they go together like peanut butter and jelly, rum and coke, bacon and eggs, OJ Simpson and murdering people.

Special thanks to:
Tsumi for all of the help and recommendations
mothman for the motherboard recommendation/input
FrostyAMD for the delidded i7 he sold at a great price
Volkswagen for the Antec PSU he sold at a kickass price

System Components

• Intel i7 4790K (De-lidded)
  • ASUS Maximus Hero VI
  • MSI 290X Lightning
  • G.SKILL Trident X 16 GB
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
  • Crucial M500 240 GB
  • Reeven Six Eyes II Fan Controller
  • Antec HCP1300 Platinum
  • Phanteks Enthoo Primo (Black/Red Edition)

Watercooling Components

• EK Supremacy Evo Acetal/Copper + Naked Ivy kit
  • EK 290X Lightning Full Cover + Backplate
  • Gelid GC Extreme
  • 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX
  • 16x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition
  • XSPC D5 Photon Pump/Reservoir
  • XSPC V2 Black Chrome Fittings
  • EK Black Nickel Fittings
  • EK Black 90 and 45 Degree Rotary Adapters
  • PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 7/16 5/8 (Bloodshed Red)

Peripherals

• BenQ BL3200PT (32" 2560x1440)
  • Topre Realforce 87U EK Edition
  • Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (Need a replacement as I have to buy a new one from China every 6 months)
  • Schiit Magni 2 Uber
  • Schiit Modi 2
  • JVC HA-SZ2000

Loop Design
  1. pump outlet -> bottom radiator inlet with a 90 degree rotary adapter on a 20mm extender
  2. bottom radiator outlet (one that is closer to the side panel with the window) -> GPU block inlet with a 45 degree rotary adapter
  3. GPU block outlet with a 45 degree rotary adapter -> top radiator inlet (the one that is farther away from the motherboard)
  4. top radiator outlet (one that is closest to the motherboard) -> CPU block inlet with a 45 degree rotary adapter
  5. CPU block outlet -> pump inlet

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy...

1. Almost all of these photos are poorly focused... some people call this 'potato cam' but I'd just say lazy.. From the exif data these were shot on your Galaxy S5 which usually takes great photos..
2. Basically the first half of this page is the same series of shots of your case... we get it, it's red/black and made by Phanteks
2. These are so big I had to scroll on a WUXGA 30" LCD... These should all be 1/4 or less their current size.

Even with a 56k warning, not resizing these was lazy at best...

I hate to be that guy...

1. Almost all of these photos are poorly focused... some people call this 'potato cam' but I'd just say lazy.. From the exif data these were shot on your Galaxy S5 which usually takes great photos..
2. Basically the first half of this page is the same series of shots of your case... we get it, it's red/black and made by Phanteks
2. These are so big I had to scroll on a WUXGA 30" LCD... These should all be 1/4 or less their current size.

Even with a 56k warning, not resizing these was lazy at best...

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I will cut out most of the case pics and resize them all tonight. I was planning on taking a bunch of pictures but as I progressed through the build I didn't take as many as I thought I had.

Are you sure the S5 can take better photos? Those were the best ones... most photos come out even worse than that and I've taken around 1000 on that phone (it's been a disappointing phone since day 1). Should I not be using the default camera app? Please let me know if there's anything better. Thanks.

I'll be the first to say: nice build! Looks like you did a lot of planning and it came out well.

RE: picture quality - Most of them are okay. The default camera app is fine. Resizing is easily done if you upload to imgur or flickr, might want to check those out. What you need is some more practice, but I get it that most people don't really care. Your pics get the rig across just fine. But if you want to improve, I'd suggest: 1) keep the camera still while taking a picture... rest it or mount it on something instead of hand holding. 2) keep your light sources behind you (keep yourself between the light and the subject) and avoid using the built-in flash if you can (if there's not enough light you'll have to use it or it will be blurry though). Those things should go a long way.

Nice work!

EDIT: I see your pics are hosted on overclock.net. Since you're a member there, check out this thread for tips on photographing your rig: http://www.overclock.net/t/912437/how-to-photograph-your-rig

Last edited:
I can't even begin to appreciate what you have built until you resize and delete half of these pics. Just post the good ones, clearly in focus and resize to something reasonable.

Yes, for mobile users. My data plan is only 250 MB per month but I'm mostly on WiFi so it's not that bad.

Then say "mobile warning" or something else. Most of us haven't seen an actual 56k modem in 15+ years. There are probably teenagers on this forum that have never heard of a 56k modem. :p

And thank you for re-sizing. :cool:

As for the case, love the red and black. You did really well on the case management.

Much better now. Thanks for resizing. I like the texture on the rads. Hadn't seen that before.

As for the case, love the red and black. You did really well on the case management.

Thanks. Planned it out beforehand and was able to get measurements for various places to hold the pump/res. 290X Lightning is so huge that I couldn't use the two spots that you'd normally put the reservoir :/ but I found the perfect spot for it and Velcro'd it in. If I get shorter length or shorter height cards in the future (come on AMD, release that 300 series already) I may move it.

Much better now. Thanks for resizing. I like the texture on the rads. Hadn't seen that before.

Yeah I think they call it "dark matter" finish. They're kickass rads from this review: http://www.overclock.net/t/1520512/the-quad-rad-roundup Only annoyance is the width is 133mm which made me have to use these XSPC brackets to secure it to the bottom but they provide some height which reduces turbulence. Here's a bigger shot I found of it on Google:

http://www.coolinglab.jp/images/watermarked/thumbnails/7/800/Nemesis-480GTX.jpg

Was going to get NexXxos Monsta and UT45 for the bottom/top originally but Tsumi convinced me to go with the Nemesis rads, glad I was able to get such awesome help from him.

Back