Hardest harware decision I have ever had to make?

Scotch77

Gawd
Hardest hardware decision I have ever had to make? sorry for typo

I am looking to Build a new system Still currently running a system like such.
---------------------
Intel P4 2.4c
asus p4c-800e deluxe
9600XT
2gb ocz pc-4800

--------------------
Now I am looking to build a system with a Intel E8400 and a Nvidia 8600GT, as well as 4gb of memory. The hardest part is by far choosing the motherboard. There are just so many options and none are perfect. I know that I want these features in order

-Stability(the board I mentioned above had to be rma'ed 9x) I don't want that again.
-Raid 0/1/5 maybe more
-Overclockability
-Needs to fit in my LIAN LI PC-61 - I worry for the sata ports that are parralel to the PCB, will they fit with the HDD enclosure in my case.
-FDD connector.

No i have been looking at only mainly the P35 and X38 chip sets. I am not to much a fan of the Nvidia. Every time I look at a motherboard, it seems to be what I want, but then I read forum or newegg reviews and they say its bad. I have always bought my motherboards from Asus, but now all I read on newegg reviews is DoA, DoA, now I don't know if most of these people are noobs, and they just don't know what they are doing, or this is actually a reflection of Asus quality. I have never used another brand, but would be willing to try a reputable one. I just need stability, thats my main focus.

I know I could just go buy a Intel Mobo and have stability but they don't have the raid features I want and the DX38 is kinda expensive for what you get in comparison to other brands. I do enjoy Overclocking also, I did it to my current PC and hit close to 3.9 Ghz. So even thogh I may not drasticly overclock I still want the ability to do so.

I am a CS Major and I do alot of computation based stuff. I used to play games, but dont much anymore, but still want the ability to do so. I do alot of computation, in things such as bioinformatics and data mining, so I need computation power, but I cant have motherboards dying on me 9x again. 9x may seem like alot, and I have built well over 700 computers in my life, but most were with low end parts for customers. I tend to care a little more for my personal pc.

So if anybody could help me narrow this down, I would really appraciate it.

Thanks all.

I am looking to Build a new system Still currently running a system like such.
---------------------
Intel P4 2.4c
asus p4c-800e deluxe

<SNIP>

So if anybody could help me narrow this down, I would really appraciate it.

Thanks all.

DITTO!!!! AND which boards will fully function right out of the box with little or no fiddling to get a decent speed -- FULL speed of the CPU and bus and memory without having to set voltages and experiment a lot -- stability right out of the box. (OC'ing can come later)

MikeSp

Would the applications you use benefit from 4 cores? If so, you'll definitely want to get that. Also, there are better videocards than that 8600GT for games. At the very least, an ATI 3850

DITTO!!!! AND which boards will fully function right out of the box with little or no fiddling to get a decent speed -- FULL speed of the CPU and bus and memory without having to set voltages and experiment a lot -- stability right out of the box. (OC'ing can come later)

MikeSp

[stability and ease of use like that P4C800ED -- still going strong!!]

I'm in the same boat as you. So far I'm looking at the Abit ip-35 pro board. Duno if it fits in your case though.

Back