Hard Tubing Installation Question

Greetings -

I have a question about installing hard tubing into the fittings on either side of the tube. For example:

1. Pre-Install fittings on both ends
  2. Measure and cut the tube from the seat of the fitting to the other seat of the fitting
  3. Clean up the ends of the tube for fitment into fitting
Here is where I am unsure how to get this tube into both sides without damaging the block or the tube. When you cut from seat of the fitting to the other seat of the remote fitting, how do you give yourself enough "slack" to get both ends in but fit securely against both sides? If you push one end in as far as it will go, you still have to clear the distance from the top of the fitting to the seat on the other fitting. How are you guys doing this? Do you connect one side, pull the fitting out of the remote end, seat the remote end on the tube end, and then screw the remote into the block with the tube already attached? I am unsure how to get enough slack to do this, without cutting the tube shorter than I would like.

Thanks.

Greetings -

I have a question about installing hard tubing into the fittings on either side of the tube. For example:

1. Pre-Install fittings on both ends
  2. Measure and cut the tube from the seat of the fitting to the other seat of the fitting
  3. Clean up the ends of the tube for fitment into fitting
Here is where I am unsure how to get this tube into both sides without damaging the block or the tube. When you cut from seat of the fitting to the other seat of the remote fitting, how do you give yourself enough "slack" to get both ends in but fit securely against both sides? If you push one end in as far as it will go, you still have to clear the distance from the top of the fitting to the seat on the other fitting. How are you guys doing this? Do you connect one side, pull the fitting out of the remote end, seat the remote end on the tube end, and then screw the remote into the block with the tube already attached? I am unsure how to get enough slack to do this, without cutting the tube shorter than I would like.

Thanks.
If it's not a straight tube (in other words, it has bends), then you can usually tilt, turn, or pivot the tube into place after putting one end in or both at once. No problem.

If it's a straight run with angled rotary fittings, sometimes you can rotate the fitting into position, easier if both ends have an angled rotary fitting so you can do both at once.

If it's just a straight run, you may need to cut a bit shorter than seat to seat -- maybe half the height of the distance from the seat to the top of the fitting. That should be enough if the seat is an oring. If it's not an oring and there is no give, you may have to install the fitting on the tube loosely, then screw it in, then snug up the tube side. Some fittings allow this while others you may have to get creative.

Rigid tubing is not like steel it has some flex, as do your components. It is hard to explain in words but you cut exact lengths and then "work" the tube in. Rigid tubes can flex a bit to allow you that tight squeeze into place. Sockets can as well, you will notice that pcie slots have a little flex. If you are using rotary fittings on one or both ends you can "rotate" the tube in. It is sometimes possible to attach the tubes at one end of a component before placing the component, sliding the tube in as you place the component.

Back