hard time to choose. a monitor.

bvet4dog

Limp Gawd
hey guys, i'm working on my wishlist. first of all, i have a 21" crt monitor. i dont plan using it again! I really want a LCD 24" monitor with my new upcoming rig that i'd be building soon (hopefully). I'm very unsure what to choose and what to go for. I was told that EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express card probably wont run very well on a large monitor such as 24". i'm not sure why, they said the resolution is high. i thought greater resolution = better picture. (maybe i was told wrong or i'm wrong. i'm not sure.) with helps would be awsome.

I was looking at this monitor 24" acer 2ms, with high contrast with something like 4000:1 or something with high resolution like 1920x1200 i think. i'm not so sure, because the monitor i've been looking at... newegg got rid of it. I have no clue why! Anyways, any one have comments? can this video card run good on 24" monitor with high MS , high ratio ie 3000:1 and high resolution. IF you need more info about specs. here it is.

c2q q6600 go stepping
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C PSU
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel

Any inputs would be great. thanks!

24" and 23" widescreen (16:10) LCDs tend to be 1920x1200 and the 20", 21" and 22" tend to be 1680x1050. You will need a more powerful GPU to run the same ingame/quality settings at a higher resolution than a lower resolution. You can always run at a lower resolution and use 1:1 scaling (black bars top/bottom/left/right) to avoid the terrible quality loss interpolating (resizing/stretching) the image across the entire display. Greater resolution does not always mean better image quality - it comes down to the DPI, dots per inch. Example: 1920x1200 at 23" has a better picture than 1920x1200 at 24" with the displays both at arms length away from the user.

I haven't followed LCD advancement too much in the last year so I can't recommend any particular current models.

hmmph wasnt what i was expecting.

would my spec support a 24"? thats what the question really was

Best thing to do is check benchmarks for the games you want to play. 1680x1050 is a bit below 1600x1200, while 1920x1200 is a bit above. Most benches these days include 1920x1200 as a benchmark resolution, but if not 1600x1200 can give you a rough idea.

I've used interpolation on my 24" displays and it looks fine in games. It's much better now than it was a few years ago. Even if your card won't handle 1920x1200 to your liking in all games, 1680x1050 should look good enough for games on a 1920x1200 display.

There are lots to choose from. There's the 24" Display Purchase Challenge thread, where the person has a limit of $400. On the other end of the spectrum is a NEC 2490WUXi thread.

I would suggest defining what you want from your monitor, your price range, look around at what's available from the retailers you deal with, then come back and search for the model numbers in this forum. Chances are, someone has it or has asked about it already.

I can't believe there are 115 pages of posts and 90% of them are whether you have a A or S or C or whatever panel you have.

It doesn't matter. I've had both and saw very little difference. In fact, I had to send back my S panel because it was 'blotchy' and got an A panel in return. It was better than the S panel Get over it already. This panel type stuff is completely overblown.

The problem with this monitor is that it is a TN panel. It's a fine monitor for being a TN, but it is a TN just the same. Trust me, if you can deal with looking at a TN panel (which all of them are) then you sure as hell can't tell the difference between and A or S panel.

hmmph wasnt what i was expecting.

would my spec support a 24"? thats what the question really was

It really depends on the games released through 2008 but right now the only game I can think of that wouldn't run maxed out smoothly at 1920x1200 on the 24" with the 8800GTS 512 would be Crysis.

yeah, i dont expect to have crysis running maxed out. but medium or high would satisfy me, comparing to low settings on my laptop.

Any gamers out there have a 24" and similar specs to what i have?? if SO, how was your experiance with it? get good quality,high fps and good performance on counter strike, battle field 2 or 2142 and possibly on other games?

thanks for the input guys. hmm any one has SAMSUNG 245BW ? i'm thinking about that monitor.

Back