Hard drives on RAID are not detected as such

Silmatharien

Limp Gawd
The story is that I set two 120 gig IDE drives with RAID 0 and a 64k stripe size. I enabled RAID in BIOS specifically for the one IDE channel that they're both on. When I boot up my computer, I enter the RAID utility and everything appears fine there. However, when I load up Partition Magic to partition the drive, the two hard drives still appear separately. They should be together as one 240 gig drive but instead they're split up. I've been racking my brain since last night trying to figure this out.

The drives are 120 gig Seagates and my motherboard is the DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D. I updated all of the motherboard drives with the latest nvidia ones - 6.86.

Anyone have an idea? I'm using another 300 gig SATA2 Seagate as my primary drive that I have my OS installed to.

Does the drive appear under "My Computer" or under Disk Manager? And does it appear as 2 120 gig drives or 1 240 gig?

Does the drive appear under "My Computer" or under Disk Manager? And does it appear as 2 120 gig drives or 1 240 gig?

When I partition and format, they appear separately as two 120 gig drives in My Computer. Right now they are unpartitioned.

When I partition and format, they appear separately as two 120 gig drives in My Computer. Right now they are unpartitioned.

Judging by that, they arent in RAID then. Refer to your RAID controller's BIOS to establish the RAID 0 relationship on the 2 drives. If you see them as two separate drives in windows, then they're not RAID-ified (is that a word?)

Judging by that, they arent in RAID then. Refer to your RAID controller's BIOS to establish the RAID 0 relationship on the 2 drives. If you see them as two separate drives in windows, then they're not RAID-ified (is that a word?)

I have though. I have them set up as a 64k striped array. It shows up while the computer boots as a RAID 0 array with the two drives (it shows this very clearly). I have made quite sure that my BIOS has RAID enabled for the primary master and slave drives ... and I don't know what to do. I had it working before (set it up approx. a year ago) but had to reformat to do some stuff and now it won't work.

Well, I tried creating a new array - RAID 0, 128k stripe size. I've reinstalled drivers but still, nothing seems to work. :( Unless there's something physically wrong with my motherboard all of a sudden, I don't see what it could be ...

Okay, here we go! :) Apparently the 6.86 drivers are somewhat incompatible with my motherboard. I went back to the 6.53s from 2005, installed, rebooted, and everything works like a charm now. :)

Back