Hard Drives and PS2s

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all. I have some questions.

I have a old style big PS2 with network adapter and I've been trying to get a hard drive to work with it. Make note. This is a 3.2gb hard drive. I just want to be able to save games to it since games like madden and nhl 2005 use enormous amounts of memory card space.

I am not looking to do anything illegal but just save my games, so please don't take this as a warez, hacker, game copying thread.

First, I was told by the people who have the offical 40gb hard drive with final fantasy on it, that you can save games from other games onto the drive. Is this correct?

I tried to use this WinHIIP PS2 formatting utility on my computer to format the drive but it would just crash the program and 'send error report' on me.

Basically, I'm just looking for a way to format this drive so that I can save my games. Any advice?

Thanks.

if your gonna be using hdloader, your gonna need a bigger hard drive than 3.2GB. it needs to be atleast 40 and under like 120 for it to work. Not only is this a requirement for hdloader, but one game like madden 05 is bigger than 3.2GB heh.

Im using hdloader and WinHIIP w/ a 60GB seagate currently.

edit:

by the way, hdloader cant be used as a memory card either. i wish it could, but for right now its just used to store your games in a safe spot and not having to worry about scratches. it also allows your games to load ALOT faster than off the cd.

Negative. Like I said above, I did not want to copy my games to the hard drive. I just want to have my save games, like my seasons on the hard drive.

malingjc said:
Negative. Like I said above, I did not want to copy my games to the hard drive. I just want to have my save games, like my seasons on the hard drive.
sorry to tell you, but you cant. hdloader doesnt support save games at the moment.

You might want to just skip HDLoader and get Sharkport or some other peripheral that allows you to download your saves to your PC. The PS2 was never meant to run games off of a hard drive so naturally no games support saving onto the HD, with the exception of some online games.

also, you can use drives larger than 120, its just dumb because the ps2 can only see 137 gbs.

It's not the PS2, it's HDLoader that can't see more than 137GBs; why even the most primitive IDE interfaces can use more than that. The community has already alleviated this issue with a 48-bit LBA patch that has been out for some time.

im using hdloader with a memory card exploit, patched it and now supports any hd size.

heatsinker said:
It's not the PS2, it's HDLoader that can't see more than 137GBs; why even the most primitive IDE interfaces can use more than that. The community has already alleviated this issue with a 48-bit LBA patch that has been out for some time.

but, you need to mod ur ps2 to play the patched hd loader, dont you? I think alot of people would rather not mod their ps2s (especially with my V1, the installs are a pain in the ass).

I think the thread has kind of drifted off subject, he's asking if he can save (ie to memory cards) to the hard disc instead.

Yep. From what I've been told, it is possible with the stock PS2 hard drive. Though I don't have any interest in FF so no need to buy that stupid bundle.

zerogt86 said:
but, you need to mod ur ps2 to play the patched hd loader, dont you? I think alot of people would rather not mod their ps2s (especially with my V1, the installs are a pain in the ass).

Yes you will need to mod your PS2 because the stamped HDLoaders don't have the 48-bit LBA patch (at least as far as I know). The DUO chip is by far the easiest install on the earlier systems. I just did a Matrix Infinity on a V3 today and boy was it a biatch.

Back