Hard drive space is half what it should be

Sometwo

Limp Gawd
I just installed a used ASUS A7266E mobo and am using an IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60GB and was using WinXP when I got a kernel panic and couldn't load Windows anymore and I can't install Windows XP because it gets to the partitioning part and doesn't list any of my partitions and says "Setup cannot access this disk." I tried Using Knoppix and it lists all of my partitions except for at least 1, probably 2. I tried installing OpenBSD 4.0 and it says my hard drive is only 31.56 Gigs. How can I recover my lost hard drive space?

Edit: I should probably also note that my BIOS is sometimes having difficulty detecting this hard drive, as well as another hard drive I used.

I just installed a used ASUS A7266E mobo and am using an IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60GB and was using WinXP when I got a kernel panic and couldn't load Windows anymore and I can't install Windows XP because it gets to the partitioning part and doesn't list any of my partitions and says "Setup cannot access this disk." I tried Using Knoppix and it lists all of my partitions except for at least 1, probably 2. I tried installing OpenBSD 4.0 and it says my hard drive is only 31.56 Gigs. How can I recover my lost hard drive space?

Edit: I should probably also note that my BIOS is sometimes having difficulty detecting this hard drive, as well as another hard drive I used.

is the 32gb partition jumper in place?

is the 32gb partition jumper in place?

There is a 32gb jumper for it? The diagram on it shows jumper settings if it is 15 heads or 16 heads and mine is 16 heads and set to be the master. I never saw anything for 32gb settings on it...

Edit: I just took it out and see the 32gb jumper settings, but mine is set for the normal master.

Try swapping out cables. I've seen bad cables do all kinds of weird things to a hard drive.

I just tried switching my CDROM IDE cable with my HDD cable and now it won't even turn on. I think I've just about had it with this pos.

given all these factors, I would suggest you run hitachi's drive "fitness test" or whatever it is called to see how your drive is doing. I would suspect that it may fail soon.

Back