hard drive repair

doox00

2[H]4U
is there any place that repairs hard drives? I think my data is intact on my drive.. something with the interface of the drive I think is bad, bios does not see the drive, windows sees it in device manager and disk management, says its not initiazed, try to initialize it and says there was an I/O error. Drive spins up and sounds fine as far as thats concerned.

Anyone know of anyone or anyplace that may be able to repair the drive?

i don't see how windows could see the drive, but bios doesn't. anyway, if you can get it detected, try mhdd. it is freeware and is reported to do a good job in testing and repair.

i don't see how windows could see the drive, but bios doesn't. anyway, if you can get it detected, try mhdd. it is freeware and is reported to do a good job in testing and repair.

yep no idea, but bios does not detect the drive.. but windows sees it, will show serial number, model number, firmware everything.. just does not work.

If you think its an interface issue you could get an identical drive and remove/replace the interface board components. I've done this in the past with good results

If you think its an interface issue you could get an identical drive and remove/replace the interface board components. I've done this in the past with good results

I have thought to try that also, been looking on ebay for the same model drive.

If you are looking into sending the drive to a recovery service I would recommend Gillware. They are cheaper the DriveSavers, and only charge you if they recover the data.

If you are looking into sending the drive to a recovery service I would recommend Gillware. They are cheaper the DriveSavers, and only charge you if they recover the data.

thanks, I will check em out

I bought a drive on ebay, once that comes I will try swapping the board and seeing if that does anything.

Anyone know of anyone or anyplace that may be able to repair the drive?

Unless you are willing to spend $400+ you can pretty much count that option out. There are several places that do it but it is not cheap.

I got my drive fixed!! I followed the seagate firmware issue guide on these drives and it is now working and got all my data back, woohoo!!

I got my drive fixed!! I followed the seagate firmware issue guide on these drives and it is now working and got all my data back, woohoo!!

Now transfer the data and throw that one off a bridge!

BTW, what drive was this so others may know what drive may be causing minor heart attacks around the net.

seagate st31000340as 1tb drive, lots of people had issues with this and a few other model drives. bios would not detect drive, windows could see the drive but could not access it.

A firmware update fixes it after you do the fix thats floating around the net, firmware update after the drives go "bad" does nothing until the fix is done, problem was they would get stuck in a standby mode or something making them useless basically. Follow guides like this one to fix em.

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/457286-seagate-bricked-firmware-drive-fix-pics.html

Anyone have a tip for a WD20EADS manufactured July 2009 that seemed to have died -- my buddy's drive all of a sudden just shows as "RAW" in disk management. Wondering if its controller board and if its worth a swap with another drive or if its likely just mechanical issue.

Swapping the controller board is not going to work on the majority of reasonably recent hard drives, as each drive has unique firmware info on the board

^ agreed. but now and then i hear about it working for people. board swapping hasn't really worked reliably since the SCSI drive days. back then it was cake.

Back